What's new

First time roasting beans.

Oooooh, please report back on how it compares to the other roasts!

I roasted all of the gesha I had under 14% loss. I think 13.6% loss was the most I had.

I started out light and went darker as I went, this is the third batch. I'll be trying it in about 5 days or so, I have one cup left of the last batch.

It's gonna be a year roasting pretty soon. The bad part is, most other coffee's don't taste worth a darn.
That's the best position to be in, getting into roasting enough that you can produce excellent coffee and don't feel any need for anything else. You are also doing better than average with keeping your self supplied. I could pull down my machine whenever I have a spare few minutes, but I never want to unless I am doing several roasts and I know that I am not the only one here and elsewhere that gets into this trap. I wish I could sell mine for a reasonable price so I can upgrade, but that's not likely to happen so I am getting ready to spend the money on the upgraded panel so I can roast faster.

That's the best position to be in, getting into roasting enough that you can produce excellent coffee and don't feel any need for anything else. You are also doing better than average with keeping your self supplied. I could pull down my machine whenever I have a spare few minutes, but I never want to unless I am doing several roasts and I know that I am not the only one here and elsewhere that gets into this trap. I wish I could sell mine for a reasonable price so I can upgrade, but that's not likely to happen so I am getting ready to spend the money on the upgraded panel so I can roast faster.

You really did help me a lot along the way. It was much appreciated, thank you again.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Some Columbia Supreme this morning. Was raining out side so I tried in indoors. The smoke alarms went off :).

Turned out pretty nice. Cranked the heat a bit early and got the roaster up to 462° right before the cool down. Took it into second crack briefly. View attachment 1488554

Hello @Wid

I have been doing a good job of resisting/jumping, into the rabbit hole, of roasting my own beans. Having said that however, I decided today to seriously start reading through your thread, as the curiosity got the best of me. And I have got to say, when I see a dark roasted bean have a bit of a sheen on it, like my Kenya dark roast beans from Stirling, I just fall in love, its like a love at first sight situation going on lol. 😍

I am going to continue reading through your thread, as its 9-pages long, so its taking me some time. But I just wanted to quickly say how impressed I am with your journey so far. I guess its SOP that most folks who start doing their own coffee bean roasting, begin with an air popper. But from what I have read so far, while they do work decent, they appear to have a very limited capacity, and if you try to exceed that, your roast goes to garbage fast.

So I can see why many folks who start out with an air popper, upgrade fairly quickly. And from what little I have learned of coffee roasting thus far, it does appear that drum roasters appear to be all the craze. Because they appear to rotate like a clothes dryer, forcing movement of beans, while heated with convection, which appears to have the most efficiency in coffee roasting, with an even distribution of perfection, with convection.

I am truly fascinated by the process. So keep up the great work Wid, I am really happy for you. 😍

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
timing the smoke out in the house lol

For those of you, who have been setting off your homes smoke detectors, have any of you considered roasting your beans underneath the stove range hood? Afterall, that fan was ultimately designed to exhaust stove and oven smells, as well as smoke, out of the house. And unless your roaster is some commercially oversized monstrosity, I don't see why you couldn't run your roaster on top of the stove, and just let the range hood fan, exhaust the smoke out.

🪙 My Two Cents 🪙

For those of you, who have been setting off your homes smoke detectors, have any of you considered roasting your beans underneath the stove range hood? Afterall, that fan was ultimately designed to exhaust stove and oven smells, as well as smoke, out of the house. And unless your roaster is some commercially oversized monstrosity, I don't see why you couldn't run your roaster on top of the stove, and just let the range hood fan, exhaust the smoke out.

🪙 My Two Cents 🪙

I have since been using a Freshroast SR 800 with an extension tube. It gives one quite a bit more control over the roast. My daughter bought me a bean cooler for Christmas which works outstanding. I don't use the cool function on the roaster to cool the beans. I do use it to cool the roaster though.

I have also upgraded the hood vent in my kitchen and do as you said. I roast under the hood vent and have no problems now.

🪙 My Two Cents 🪙
Honey Do Log, Entry #1,376,678

-Replace 20 year old range hood that barely moves much 🥴.

🤣😂🤣😂

Well it’s been over a year now and I’m still at it. Just got done with some Honduran beans. They came in at a bit over 16% loss. Was going for a bit darker roast on this one. Came out nice

IMG_9392.jpeg
IMG_9404.jpeg

Been a while now. I am now roasting on the Freshroast SR800 with a Razzo chamber and chaff mod. Able to do a 300g roast with pretty consistent outcomes.

Some Ethiopian that was done earlier today.

IMG_2369.jpeg

Still looking good Rick! So is the new, probably not that new, profile pic. I have been roasting a lot, I have pages and pages added to my roast log and I forgot to post because I stopped getting notifications. I think I have done 40 roasts so far this year, but I just can't roast as large of a batch as your machine nor as large as I need! I am afraid the Bullet is calling my name... 🤑

Top Bottom