What's new

First time jnat owner

It really did. Sort of kicking myself for buying all those naguras now haha. Oh well i still plan on using them and I did get a really good edge on my filarmonics using thr full nagura progression. It just takes more time I guess but i have also read from some members that the edge of a full progression would be smoother than a diamond slurried one. Haven't tested that out yet. It's true that my face feels a bit more raw this morning but I would say that's because of the extra pass i did last night and the fact that i used an alcohol based aftershave vs pure witch hazel and the weather getting colder here in canada. I think i may have to retire my alcohop based aftershaves for the winter. Too cold here and it makes my sensitive skin extra dry. Good option during the warmer months though.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

There are many variables with nagura. You buy a set. It may or may not work out. Then someone says "you need a vintage set". They go buy one and same result. And then someone says they may have said they were vintage but they're not. And then it's the proverbial dog chasing its tail. Not saying there aren't differences in nagura. But saying the confusion involved with it all for someone lookog for a shave is not worth it. As there are many other means of obtaining the edge your lookig for. Too keen or harsh? Try the dovo white paste. It works. If your a little short of keen then use the flax linen. There's a million ways to do this. And they all work. The easiest path is the better one imo. Unless you want accolades and people singing praises for you. Lol.

True! Would you think doing a round of koma either before or after the dmt slurry would help at all or is it a waste of time? Or even doing a quick botan after bevel set to further refine the edge before going on the dmt slurry?

There are many variables with nagura. You buy a set. It may or may not work out. Then someone says "you need a vintage set". They go buy one and same result. And then someone says they may have said they were vintage but they're not. And then it's the proverbial dog chasing its tail. Not saying there aren't differences in nagura. But saying the confusion involved with it all for someone lookog for a shave is not worth it. As there are many other means of obtaining the edge your lookig for. Too keen or harsh? Try the dovo white paste. It works. If your a little short of keen then use the flax linen. There's a million ways to do this. And they all work. The easiest path is the better one imo. Unless you want accolades and people singing praises for you. Lol.
I have liquid chalk that i use when working out.. do you think applying a little of that on my cotton strop would be similar to the dovo white paste which from what i can gather is essentially chalk?

No idea. The dovo white is cheap.enough. well worth it imo. Not sure where to source as I bought one tube a while ago. It lasts a long time. Koma isn't necessary. And some koma that you may buy today may actually be chu. Who knows? Lol. I have used several. Some of them break and keep on breaking. I don't think it's worth all the effort when you can get an edge fast and easier.

Last edited:
Okk! I will compare the ingredients in both and see if it would improve de strop

True! Would you think doing a round of koma either before or after the dmt slurry would help at all or is it a waste of time? Or even doing a quick botan after bevel set to further refine the edge before going on the dmt slurry?

I have a set of the traditional naguras including a couple different koma. They mostly sit in the box. Having multiple tomos though is not a bad thing. Different ones can definitely produce different results. I often find that I like the result of a medium hard tomo best on a very hard stone.

I would go from dmt to dmt slurry (size of 2 quarters max) to small slurry half that size to Tomo. A long complicated progression will not exceed the edge that you can get with this .Sure it will take longer and you can say "I did it old school" but the results? Nope! I used to do the long progression "thing" like 7 naguras. Then I became enlightened. Even when some people said no, I had to believe my own eyes. As far as dilutions go I would do 2 and see. If you end up with a wickedly sharp edge you can dilute once. But that's contingent on your results. Follow them! And shave a fresh edge as often as possible until you reach the desired result.
So you do two diamonf slurry with thr second one being much smaller and taken to a full dilution followed by two tomos? I only raised one dmt slurry last night and dilluted it almost to plain water

I have done that many times. But the last few years I go 1k to mid-range stone with dmt.slurry then a Tomo. Sometimes I Spritz off the slurry from the mid stone and dump it on the finisher and use that.

Okay! I'll probably try to hone my filarmonica using dmt slurry twice followed by two rounds of tomo

Tried my fili with the dmt slurry followed by tomo. Not great.

Did two dmt slurry plus 3 tomo. I will try again with only one dmt slurry with more passes

Looks shiny to me. I does pass the hht but not very smooth.

When i did my TI, i did about 20 to 25 passes per side per dillution. Did fewer strokes this time maybe that's why it didnt turn out as well.

I haent shaved with it but after stropping the hht results werent great and trying to shave leg hair didnt go so well so..

Well went back to the stone. Dulled the blade on glass and raised a fairly heavy dmt slurry and did a slow dilution followed by a tomo nagura slurry down to almost water with a drop of glycerin and wow after stropping it seems to be a silent hht 5. Will shave with it in a bit! Very promising based on the hht and that never usually fails

I find that oftentimes the biggest issue is not using enough slurry to begin with. Remember that your going from bevel set on a very aggressive stone to a natural, slurry is your friend. You can always thin it out but you can’t make up for not having enough of it.

Yeh I think the slurry i tried last night was too thin. I actually didnt even used the dmt stone for bevel set this time just heavy slurry diluted down followed by toma. Silent on about 90% of the blade. The heel could be sharper but i tend to always have some issues with the heel regardless of the honing method i use.

It may sound wasteful but when I was learning I started on the 1k every time. This way your baseline is refining an edge from 1k every time.

Top Bottom