What's new

First time jnat owner

Perfect! Now when you get that down I would suggest trying a drop of glycerin in the final Tomo. This would enable.you to get some extra out of the slurry. Glycerin is water based and will not damage the stone. And if you don't have flax linen get some. You can also get some dovo white paste (not TI paste) You can add that to a cloth strop. It can smooth an edge out.(barbers used to use talc on their cloth strops so same principal) But get this progression down before you get into anything else. Keep us informed!

I second the glycerin. It can improve slurry edges just like it can improve water edges. It's not water based though, it's just very water soluble.

Honed up a boker tonight. Pretty good shave with it. Went to the coticule with heavy slurry followed by a dilution and then did a progression skipping the tenju as I feel is coarser than the mejuro.
One thing i noticed coming off the tomo is that the hht test wasnt great but after stropping it was about hht 4 or even 5
Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Seems to me you got some progress very fast, congrat.
What progression did you do after the Coticule with heavy slurry and dilution?
Yes, think the Tenjou is coarser than the Mejiro.

I did a botan to mejiru to koma and finished on tomo.

After Coticule perhaps testing :
mejiro, 2xkoma, 3x tomonagura or
2xkoma, 3x tomonagura?
I ended doing two of each. the weird thing is that it didnt really pass the hht test but after stropping it did with a breeze. Not sure if the edge just needed a good clean or what.

The edge I like the most for now is from coticule.
But also thuringian, synthetic and JNUT edges can for me be really good.
Haven’t really tested much more yet, that’s the good thing, so much more to play with.

Nice! Coticules are very nice but i just find the jnat a bit sharper and easier to have with going xtg or atg.

Well just honed up my thiers issard going from bevel set on dmt 1200 to dmt slurry going all way to a light slurry followed by two tomo sessions with the second one going just before plain water at which time I added one drop of glycerin. After stropping about passes on cotton and 50 on leather the HhT results are VERY promising. I will shave with it in a bit and report back. I think this method might be a keeper!

Test shave with the TI went very well. Very sharp and smooth shave. I am amazed at how easy it is to hone a razor this way. Now what to do with all those naguras haha! I will still pratice and try to get good edges with the standard progression.

That's good to hear it went well. In time I'm sure you will figure the nagura out, but at least you have a tried and true method to fall back on.

Yeh I will try this method again a few times and then try the nagura progression again. Would you still do the dmt slurry before tomo ? I may try to do a third tomo too.

Absolutely do a DN (diamond nagura) slurry prior to the tomo. That is what gets you all your cutting speed and midrange to finishing progress. The tomos are more a polishing stage. If a single one doesn't get the edge where I like, I do two tomo slurries, thinning the second.

Ohh i full dilution with the diamond slurry before toko but maybe i'll try 3 tomos instead of 2

Try all the variations until you find it. Then repeat it again and again. When I was learning some days I test shaved a fresh blade 3 x. One pass per. Enjoy the ride. Looks like your definitely on your way.

Yeh I got the TI to the sharpest level i have ever been able to achieve with it. It was a good hht 4 or 5 after stropping. I did one long and slow dilution on the dmt slurry doing about 20 passes per side followed by a splash of water. I stopped at a light misty slurry and then i did one tomo slurru where i honed until the slurry got darker and then rinced and did another one where i oned until it got darker and then did a dillution with about 15 passes on each side followed by a splash. I stopped just before thr slurry was all gone from the stone. I also added a tiny drop of glycerin towards the later stages of the second tomo while diluting.

Nice! Coticules are very nice but i just find the jnat a bit sharper and easier to have with going xtg or atg.

Well just honed up my thiers issard going from bevel set on dmt 1200 to dmt slurry going all way to a light slurry followed by two tomo sessions with the second one going just before plain water at which time I added one drop of glycerin. After stropping about passes on cotton and 50 on leather the HhT results are VERY promising. I will shave with it in a bit and report back. I think this method might be a keeper!

Test shave with the TI went very well. Very sharp and smooth shave. I am amazed at how easy it is to hone a razor this way. Now what to do with all those naguras haha! I will still pratice and try to get good edges with the standard progression.

Congrat!
Is this what you did? :
Dmt 1200# bevel set
one session JNUT & slurry made with DMT 1200#, honing with dilution until light slurry
tomo nagura slurry with dilution
tomo nagura slurry with dilution and one drop of glycerin added in end
JNUT with plain water( running water?)

Congrat!
Is this what you did? :
Dmt 1200# bevel set
one session JNUT & slurry made with DMT 1200#, honing with dilution until light slurry
tomo nagura slurry with dilution
tomo nagura slurry with dilution and one drop of glycerin added in end
JNUT with plain water( running water?)
Yep! I didnt hone on plain water though. From what i was told and what i experienced myself, the edge will go backwards on water only. I also added a bit of dish soap to the dmt when setting the bevel. It makes it a bit easier and i think a little less aggressive as well.

Top Bottom