What's new

first time homeowner need advice

So here I am about 6 months after signing the contract about to take delivery of the home. I have been a renter for as long as I have live by myself.

The first thing I need to do is to get appliances (fridge, washer & dryer). What's a good place to get them? Also, I see so many mixed reviews on appliances it makes me a bit uneasy...seems like no matter what you buy, things will go wrong...i.e. they don't build them like they used to. Even expensive ones like Bosch have some negative reviews.

Regarding the washer, I get conflicting reports on front load vs top load. Best Buy sales guy says top load is better because of no issues with mold. Home Depot sales guy says front load is better because of efficiency and mold is not a concern if the door is cracked open. Would appreciate if you can share any experience with this. Right now I'm leaning towards an LG top load.

Regarding the fridge, what are some good brands? From what I understand, all the "Assembled in America" ones -- Maytag, KitchenAid, Whirlpool, etc. -- are made by the same company and they use parts imported from China. For that reason, I'm leaning more towards the Korean brands, perhaps LG. Any insights here? Right now I'm leaning towards a French Door, Counter Depth model from LG.

Thanks.

Our front loader doesn't get moldy, however it may build some funk if you leave the door closed. My biggest complaint is the vibration. Not a big deal anymore because its on a concrete slab in our basement. In our old house it felt like the whole place was going to take off.

Refrigerator is personal choice. I personally like the french door or side by side. Regular freezer on top makes it so you have to stoop to get any food out. You hardly ever use the freezer, so its very inefficient to have it at standing height.

Don't discount Craigslist for appliances either. I got an awesome Bosch dishwasher for $100 off of Craigslist when our last one went kaput.

There is zero point reading online product reviews on the various retail websites as most of them are sponsord.

Most brands are ok these days.
I got an LG washer/drier pair a few years ago. A month later they had a special on Samsung for less money and bigger capacity. I moved back to Israel and have a Samsung washer now which is as good as LG.

As for fridge, get the one that makes the most sense for you in terms of usability and arrangement.

All of those items should and do work for years with no issues. Most people buy a product, use it happily and forget about reviews. The few that ecounter an issue raise a big stink. Nothing wrong with that, but the impression it generates as for the likelyhood of facing issues is skewed.

There is zero point reading online product reviews on the various retail websites as most of them are sponsord.

That is interesting. I see a lot of 4.5-5.0 ratings for products on Best Buy, but many of those models have poor user reviews on the consumer reports website, although there are many more ratings from users at Best Buy.

Maybe this is easier than I thought, but I tend to research things endlessly.

I did that too. Consumer Reports tens to attract people who complain a lot.
Best Buy seems to attract people who say OMGZ my fridge is so shiny!!!1!!! 5 outta 5!!!1!!

The stuff I bought two years ago
Stove - Kitchenaid split gas/electric - zero issues.
Microwave - Kitchenaid - does not seem to vent. Steams food. Would not buy again
Fridge - LG French Door - Stay clear. Mother board failed once, motor is noisy. Known issues. Would not buy again
Dishwasher - Bosch - zero issues

The stuff bought last year -
Samsung washer, Samsung Dryer, front loaders. Perfect machines.

Maybe this is easier than I thought, but I tend to research things endlessly.

I know what you're talking about. I also tend to research too much. My wife has wanted to replace the dishwasher that came with the house for several years but every time we look at new ones we get confused, disagree & give up. I think I finally convinced her to wait until ours stops working all together. Our 13 year old side-by-side fridge, top-load washer and dryer are all Sears brand (made by Whirlpool at the time). The only repair to any so far was to the fridge water line. I'd like to say it's Whirlpool reliability, but I suspect it's mostly a matter of luck and light use since it's only my wife & I.

I'm kind of new too (3 years). I had to buy a washer and dryer and got top loading. I read too much about mold on front loaders. I was telling a co-worker about it and for the heck of it she had her husband take theirs apart and she said it was absolutely FILLED with black mold inside. No way just don't do it. I got an LG pair. Not sure what models but they were well rated and cost about $700-$800 apiece I think.

I also had to replace a microwave recently and I got a Kenmore over the range microwave. It's pretty big ans sticks out a lot more than the old one but it works really well and boils water in like 2 minutes.

Our dishwasher is a Bosch and it't the best one I've ever had. It came with the house. Fridge and stove are all what came with the house too. Get a dishwasher with stainless steel on the interior.

I do like Consumer Reports and trust them because manufacturers can't buy the results; CR purchases all the things they test on their own and nothing is donated for reviews. The people may be more whiny but I like to go by the actual CR scores. They've served me well so far. I just get an online subscription whenever I'm buying certain items. I don't like them for things like TVs though; for that I prefer actual people's discussions on forums.

American parts are easier to....um.... import than Korean ones.

We have a front loader and it absolutely gets moldy. Never had that issue with top loader

Same here. I'll never buy another front loading machine, I can tell you that much.

I have a Bosch dish washer that took a isht just out of warranty and cost me a benjamin or more to fix it. Something else broke shortly after. I know this is an isolated experience, but It's left a bad taste in my mouth. I've got a kitchen aid range that has "touch" pad controls that werent sealed well. Steam rising from, you know, cooking on it, shorted out the control panel. Now I can't turn it off with the "off" button. This happened just out of warranty as well and would cost a boatload to fix it. Kitchen Aid was useless in finding a solution to this safety issue. For a couple years, I had to turn the damned thing off at the breaker box... until I came realize that I can turn it off by setting the timer to turn it off in a minute.

Im starting to ramble... but personally I loathe my appliances. None of them are great at their sole purpose. when this stuff dies, once and for all, I'm going to pick up a wash tub, a grill aparatus for my fireplace, and use paper plates and plasticware. It'll be just like camping, but in the comfort of my own home.

Congrats and Good luck!

You're a new home owner. Buying the appliances is dependent on your cash flow. As a bachelor, I would cruise scratch and dent sales. These allow you to get name brand merch for very good pricing. And, sometimes, the defect is so minimal as to make you feel like you STOLE the thing. We got a Kenmore chest freezer (22 cu ft) many moons ago for $100. List was over $500, and the only thing wrong with it was a teeny tiny chip in the enamel surface . . . at the back . . . an inch from the bottom.

I would buy a top load washer as the maintenance costs will be lower than on a front loader (think parts availability, and length of time on the market). Plenty of small businesses to take care of this for you. Do NOT buy extended warranties.

I may have found a washer/dryer made in the US. It's not sold at traditional big box appliance stores.
http://www.speedqueen.com/
They only make washers and dryers.

I wonder if such a refrigerator exists.

I found it because that's what I have in the rental unit I've been living in for the last 12 years. The pair that I have is very basic, but it has survived 13+ years with no problems (the complex was built about 2 years before I moved in).

I would buy a top load washer as the maintenance costs will be lower than on a front loader (think parts availability, and length of time on the market). Plenty of small businesses to take care of this for you. Do NOT buy extended warranties.

I usually don't go for extended warranties, but a close friend of mine insisted I get one, especially because of all the electronics in the appliances these days.

The only things I have gotten extended warranties for in the past are computers and cars and at least with my Apple and old BMW (several repairs to both), they more than paid for themselves. With the Honda it was a total waste of money...not a single claim.

Here's what I have:

The bad...
Stove: GE electric I've owned two of these and both have had burners go out within 5 years. I'd skip it.

Fridge - I have two GE fridges one I bought and one was given to me. Both freeze everything in the back and the stuff in the front isn't cold enough. I wouldn't buy a GE fridge again.

Dishwasher - GE Profile - It's ok but I miss the Kitchen Aid dishwashers I've owned in the past. I bought all GE stuff because I got a deal sticking with one brand. My next dishwasher will be a Kitchen Aid again.

I've helped my friend repair his front load GE washer and dryer twice after the warranty ran out. The repair guy was there four times under warranty and he's on his second set since they replaced the first one. The second set is as bad as the first. If you're considering a GE front load set you should make sure you research it well.

And the good...
Microwave: GE Advantium - this thing is expensive but absolutely outstanding. I've owned these since we built our second house fifteen years ago. You can use it as a standard microwave or as a combination oven/microwave. It uses a combination of microwave and high intensity lights to actually brown your food. I can bake cookies in it, cook soft pretzels just like you'd buy them from a vendor and items like frozen pizza come out crispy. You can even cook a steak in it and their's menus built in to cook fish and even lobster tails. They are about $1100 but I'd buy another of these in a second if this one went out on me.

Washer and Dryer - front load Whirlpool. I bought these about 10 years ago because my Father had a set and told me how great they are. Mine have been completely trouble free for 10 years and so have his for 12 years. I bought the stands with them to raise them up a bit as well. With any front loader you just leave the door cracked open slightly after you take out the wash. Once it's dry inside we close the door. We've done this ever since we bought them and never once had a mold problem or even seen any in the washer. I would buy these again in a second as well.

First off, I always consult ConsumerReports. Have never gone wrong that way. I find I am led to LG and Samsung often. I have an LG three door fridge and it's very good. Service when needed was quick and competent.

Second, gas is always a better choice in stoves or dryers, if it's available in your area. Considering both cost of operation and performance b

Just from my experience stay away from GE. Stick with Fridgidaire or Whirlpool.

Buy the extended warranties because after one breakdown they pay for themselves. Go to Lowes.

I usually don't go for extended warranties, but a close friend of mine insisted I get one, especially because of all the electronics in the appliances these days.

I will stipulate that it has been over a decade since our last appliance purchase, so this might be true. That said, with the top load design, you are getting established technology that EVERY local repair guy will know how to fix, even with newer electronic gizmos, as they are just add-ons to what was there, rather than a complete re working of the console. And in over 15 years of use, nothing electronic on our appliances has ever crapped out. Always mechanical.

First off, I always consult ConsumerReports. Have never gone wrong that way. I find I am led to LG and Samsung often. I have an LG three door fridge and it's very good. Service when needed was quick and competent.

Second, gas is always a better choice in stoves or dryers, if it's available in your area. Considering both cost of operation and performance b

THIS. My wife was skeptical when I insisted on a gas dryer and, five years ago, a gas range. she had always had electric. Now I think she would kill anyone trying to take the stove away.

Just from my experience stay away from GE. Stick with Fridgidaire or Whirlpool.

Buy the extended warranties because after one breakdown they pay for themselves. Go to Lowes.

My Father grew up in the Depression, and believed in getting 10 cents out of every nickel. Not a cheapskate, but he bought quality when he bought big ticket items. His philosophy has stood me in good stead over the years. Buy a quality product and the hell with the extended warranty. If it's made well, the warranty is a waste and, if you need the warranty, you should not have bought the junk in the first place. Consumer reports is good for separating the wheat from the chaff.

Good luck.

My advice stay away from best buy.

If you live in or near a large city I'd go with a stand alone appliance store because they are anchored in that business vs lowes or Home Depot who dab in whatever they get from their suppliers.

What we bought for our washer and dryer was the simplest units possible. The less computers the better. You'll find a control panel will set you back $300-400 and won't ever work the same again. Nothing wrong with a knob and a button. It's just there to wash and dry fabric :)

we went with a top loader without the agitator. Have more room for larger blankets now. The seal around the door on a front loader will wear out and leak at some point. It's just a matter of time.

As for fridge, we have a french door and love it. nothing fancy just good ice and filtered water and tons of space.

I don't like anything too fancy. Too many gadgets and electronics make for expensive repairs. Consider where the appliance is made, the availability of parts and service in your area when needed. And don't overthink it too much. Enjoy the new house, the best investment you will ever make.
Cheers!

We've had very good luck with Sears appliances. Some are Kenmore, and some are other brands. They still stand behind their stuff, and there's plenty of ratings to suggest some of the Kenmore stuff (usually made by a major manufacturer) is a great buy.

We have a front load washer and it works well. My wife would go back to a top load in an instant. The front loader seems to require more maintenance, and you can't really soak stuff in it.

anoop - Try to avoid analysis paralysis.

You can go high end with lots of features and big price tag with hopefully better dependability. Definitely more energy efficient.

You can go low end and plan on more frequent replacement.

Congrats on becoming a homeowner!

Top Bottom