What's new

First time head shaver - how to start

Hello, as a basically new wet shaver I am not sure "how to start".

For some time I "shave" both my head and face with electric clipper. And while I am rather content with stubble on my face I would prefer my head cleanly shaven. Two days ago I bought Muhle R89 with some blades (Muhle, Derby Premium, Israeli Red Personna, Rapira Platinum), brush (Omega synthetic) and Cella soap / Nivea cream.

But somehow I can't force myself to try it out - I only experimented with wet shaving maybe 15 years ago (before discovering electric clippers) - so I am little afraid to use something as sharp as a razor on my head outside of my field of view. Quite naturally I don't want to look as a victim of a recent car crash.

I am considering learning correct angle/movement by shaving my calfs (who needs them hairy anyway?) before trying to shave my head.

What do you think? Does it make sense or am I overcomplicating things? Any advice for first time head-not-face-shaver?

First, welcome to B&B.

I shave my face and head. As long as you use a gentle touch you should not have a problem. When I first started shaving my head I used two mirrors: one in front of me and another so I could see the back of my head. However, after a few shaves, I found that I did not need the mirror. After a while and with practice holding the razor with the right angle becomes second nature.

One tip that worked for me was to keep your wrist locked as much as possible and use your arm movements to shave.

I can't help with the head shaving, but I'd start with your face. I think once you get past the anxiousness and just get that fantastic DE shave on your face you'll be much more comfortable shaving your head.

Just read all you can on here and follow the instruction. If you do, this place won't let you fail. In fact, I'd say this place has averted many new DE shavers from failure, myself and now my son included.

NT
Crusader for DE shaving

Thanks for replies!

I have just returned from bathroom, where I spent some time in bathtub and shaved my inner calfs... It was very useful experience, much more easier and much more relaxing than I expected. And my calfs are baby smooth now ...

1. It's much much harder to cut myself than I thought. Perhaps R89 with Derby Premium is especially "beginner friendly", but when I moved head it either shaved well (correct angle) or shaved less (too low or too high angle). As long as movement was straight ahead, it seemed impossible to cut myself. Face or head have more complicated surface, but with straight movement risk of bigger cut seems very low.

2. It definitely needs practice - as I am right handed, moving razor in one direction seemed natural, while moving in opposite direction awkward ...
And I used "leg lathering" with Nivea cream and dry brush and for few seconds wondered why it didn't work, adding water solved it (I am quite impressed with Nivea, from my total beginner point of view behaves very well and it is easier to use/lather than soap like Cella).

@ackvil
I was thinking about multiple mirrors too, but I find adjusting movement with multiple mirrors rather hard. I am considering using left hand to carefully follow head of razor (finger on side?) to get better information about razor position.

Anyway, I guess that I will try to shave my face and if it works, there won't be any reason to not shave head next!

I just started shaving with a DE razor last week and haven't cut myself yet (knock on wood). I am only shaving my face. I started buzzing my head with a 1 guard a year and half ago. I would love to shave my head, but I have some moles that I am afraid would make it a very bloody experience.

Thanks for replies!

I have just returned from bathroom, where I spent some time in bathtub and shaved my inner calfs... It was very useful experience, much more easier and much more relaxing than I expected. And my calfs are baby smooth now ...

1. It's much much harder to cut myself than I thought. Perhaps R89 with Derby Premium is especially "beginner friendly", but when I moved head it either shaved well (correct angle) or shaved less (too low or too high angle). As long as movement was straight ahead, it seemed impossible to cut myself. Face or head have more complicated surface, but with straight movement risk of bigger cut seems very low.

2. It definitely needs practice - as I am right handed, moving razor in one direction seemed natural, while moving in opposite direction awkward ...
And I used "leg lathering" with Nivea cream and dry brush and for few seconds wondered why it didn't work, adding water solved it (I am quite impressed with Nivea, from my total beginner point of view behaves very well and it is easier to use/lather than soap like Cella).

@ackvil
I was thinking about multiple mirrors too, but I find adjusting movement with multiple mirrors rather hard. I am considering using left hand to carefully follow head of razor (finger on side?) to get better information about razor position.

Anyway, I guess that I will try to shave my face and if it works, there won't be any reason to not shave head next!

Using your hands to see where you may have missed is the way to go. Yes, multiple mirrors can be tricky.

Using your hands to see where you may have missed is the way to go. Yes, multiple mirrors can be tricky.

This.

I do two passes on my head. One with the grain then one against the grain.

On the second oass., I always have my other hand wet and follow the razor after it's pass to check what was missed. Ive been doing it for so long now I only need to check trouble areas.

Take it light and slow. You will eventually get used to how your head is shaped and won't worry so much.

Yesterday I shaved my face first time - I did two passes with some touch-up. Result was "acceptable" shave (some rough spots), but I did not cut myself, so I went for head too.

I tracked the razor head with left hand and did two passes, along and against. Both sides above ears were problematic and I tried to "clean" them with forward horizontal stroke (well, arc movement ...). It somehow worked, but I cut myself few centimeters above ear on left side. There were some rougher parts, but I didn't want to risk skin irritation, so I proclaimed it good enough.

It is clear that I need a lot of practice. I try to avoid pressure, but I think I use some occasionally. I am not sure how overlapping are my strokes, so it is possible that some parts had three or four passes. At the end it started to feel little differently (dragging?) and I had no idea if that means dull blade, irritated skin or drying lather.

Overall, it went much better than expected. I will wait another day or two to let skin rest a little and try another one!

Thanks for all advice!

Yesterday I shaved my face first time - I did two passes with some touch-up. Result was "acceptable" shave (some rough spots), but I did not cut myself, so I went for head too.

I tracked the razor head with left hand and did two passes, along and against. Both sides above ears were problematic and I tried to "clean" them with forward horizontal stroke (well, arc movement ...). It somehow worked, but I cut myself few centimeters above ear on left side. There were some rougher parts, but I didn't want to risk skin irritation, so I proclaimed it good enough.

It is clear that I need a lot of practice. I try to avoid pressure, but I think I use some occasionally. I am not sure how overlapping are my strokes, so it is possible that some parts had three or four passes. At the end it started to feel little differently (dragging?) and I had no idea if that means dull blade, irritated skin or drying lather.

Overall, it went much better than expected. I will wait another day or two to let skin rest a little and try another one!

Thanks for all advice!

Welcome. I shave my head and I shave it daily. I find the shaves much better doing this than skipping days. I have very thick hair so YMMV.

I generally use a Dorco cart for my head because shave time on work days is a premium so speed and time reduction is paramount. When I am off and have the luxury of time, I use any one of my DE's to shave my head. I am right handed as well but have a grip I use that gives me no issues.

I pick the razor up, head down and hold it between my thumb and first 2 fingers close to the head. I place my ring finger on top of the cap. This gives me maximum control over the razor and the third finger helps me keep the proper angle on my head and helps keep me from applying too much pressure. The last finger drags behind to feel for spots I may have missed.

I always shave from front to back and, due to shaving daily, I have no issues with this. I am more particular when it comes to shaving my head than I am my face. I can tolerate a little stubble at the end of the day on my face but just do not like it on my head.

Just go slow until you get the hang of DE shaving and you will enjoy consistently great shaves.

Hello, as a basically new wet shaver I am not sure "how to start".

For some time I "shave" both my head and face with electric clipper. And while I am rather content with stubble on my face I would prefer my head cleanly shaven. Two days ago I bought Muhle R89 with some blades (Muhle, Derby Premium, Israeli Red Personna, Rapira Platinum), brush (Omega synthetic) and Cella soap / Nivea cream.

But somehow I can't force myself to try it out - I only experimented with wet shaving maybe 15 years ago (before discovering electric clippers) - so I am little afraid to use something as sharp as a razor on my head outside of my field of view. Quite naturally I don't want to look as a victim of a recent car crash.

I am considering learning correct angle/movement by shaving my calfs (who needs them hairy anyway?) before trying to shave my head.

What do you think? Does it make sense or am I overcomplicating things? Any advice for first time head-not-face-shaver?
No pressure....literally. when you start use no pressure. You will get the hang of it! Good luck

No pressure....literally. when you start use no pressure. You will get the hang of it! Good luck

Thanks!

Yes, I am starting without pressure and with correct angle, but I think sometimes I try to compensate with pressure when angle gets wrong (before I remember "no pressure").

It is getting easier and better with every shave - so far I shaved head six times and no visible blood drawn last few shaves, neither notable irritation (but alum stings on some spots).

Top Bottom