What's new

first time DE shaver

So I've been using Gillette cartridges since I started shaving "6 years ago". As I've grown into early adulthood my facial hair has become full and thick. These Gillette cartridges were getting way too expensive. So I went out and picked up a Van Der Hagen razor, the blades it came with say "Timor" on them. I purchased the Van Der Hagen shave soap as well.

I shaved right after I got of the shower. I don't have a brush to lather the soap up with, so I used my hands. It seemed to work okay but it wasn't very creamy. The blade didn't seem to cut the hair that well, this could be because of the angle I was holding the razor. I'll have to figure that out.

The main problem I have is the hair on my neck grows in swirls. It's all going in different directions. I noticed the only time I got nicks is when I went against the grain. I think I will have to go against some of the hair on my neck, what can I do to make it more comfortable?

I know this razor is probably low quality, and the soap probably isn't good either. But my face felt really smooth and refreshed.

I would prefer to hand lather cream or soap, are there any good options available at local stores?

This is probably your razor:
proxy.php

This might be the best choice for starting DE shaving.
I recommend the TTO (Twist To Open) razors to colleagues, that want to switch from cartridges or electric to DE.
These are usually mild, easy to use and you'll quickly find your "right angle" for the blade on your face.
When you get familiar with this TTO, you'll maybe want more aggresive or mild blade contact with your hair growth. Then I'll suggest an adjustible razor, taht gives you the possibility of decide the balde gap and following aggressiveness of the razor.
For the adjustibles, you have many to choose.
The finest are the Gillette's - the black handled, Slim, Fatboy, Toggle. You'll find them on eBay or at a flea market.
If you want a new modern, I'll recommend a Merkur Futur, which I use very often.
The Futur is a "Heavy Duty" razor, that can be very aggressive and very mild at the same time.

Blades - this is a chapter for it's own, you'll have to try some, before you find the brand, that suits you.
Timor blades are "high end" blades - very efficient and long lasting.

Regarding soap - I'll recommend a tube of the Palmolive Shaving Cream (cheap and good).
Brush (for a good start) - Burma Shave

- Good luck

Last edited:
I'm not that much older than you, so I know what it's like to be a flat broke adult in this day and age. This is definitely a way to get more for your $$$.There's a lot for you to learn, but stick with it and keep your focus very simple right now: developing technique and forming a routine.

Check out the B&B shave wiki. Look up DE shaving videos on YouTube (those taught me a lot about blade angle, lathering techniques, etc.). My first starter kit included the VDH boar brush and Deluxe soap. They might not be swanky, but they will serve you well. Stick with those products until you have your technique down. Always do 3 passes, especially when you're just starting out. 1 pass with the grain, 1 across the grain, and 1 against. You have to take your beard down in stages.

Some investments that I (and many others) would highly recommend:

1) Brush (obviously... the VDH Boar is fine, if you should happen to find it locally.)
2) Sampler pack of DE blades. Every person agrees with different blades. Some you will hate, others you will love, and it is almost impossible for anyone (including yourself) to predict which ones will suit you best. You never know until you try them. After you find the blade that's right for you, it shouldn't be tough to find it in bulk at $0.10-$0.30 per blade.
3) Aftershave of some sorts, if you don't already have some.
4) A bowl to whip up your lather in. Wal-Mart sells a plastic salsa bowl that holds a good reputation as a lathering bowl, and costs all of $1.50.
5) As much as I don't suggest getting into a wide array of products just yet, a tube of shaving cream or a stick of shaving soap (Arko or Palmolive, for example) would make your learning curve of lathering a little smoother. Not completely necessary, since I know the VDH stuff lathers fine, but Arko whips up very easily without the use of a bowl (you build the lather on your face) and is dirt cheap. Again, you can find reviews/tips/instructions for all of these products on B&B and YouTube.

All of this will become more natural in time. Just do a bit of research and please feel free to ask a lot of questions. B&B taught me a lot about technique and various products, and I'm still learning every day from this friendly community.

Last edited:
So I've been using Gillette cartridges since I started shaving "6 years ago". As I've grown into early adulthood my facial hair has become full and thick. These Gillette cartridges were getting way too expensive. So I went out and picked up a Van Der Hagen razor, the blades it came with say "Timor" on them. I purchased the Van Der Hagen shave soap as well.

I shaved right after I got of the shower. I don't have a brush to lather the soap up with, so I used my hands. It seemed to work okay but it wasn't very creamy. The blade didn't seem to cut the hair that well, this could be because of the angle I was holding the razor. I'll have to figure that out.

The main problem I have is the hair on my neck grows in swirls. It's all going in different directions. I noticed the only time I got nicks is when I went against the grain. I think I will have to go against some of the hair on my neck, what can I do to make it more comfortable?

I know this razor is probably low quality, and the soap probably isn't good either. But my face felt really smooth and refreshed.

I would prefer to hand lather cream or soap, are there any good options available at local stores?

Try to map your hair pattern, that can help eliminate any issues too.
Mapping Your Beard Grain | The Close Shave

proxy.php

So I see most people go against the grain on their second or third pass. I don't think my soap was lathered enough. Unfortunately I don't think I can find a brush locally so I'll have to order one. I think I'll go out tonight and try to find a cream or soap that doesn't need a brush

So I see most people go against the grain on their second or third pass. I don't think my soap was lathered enough. Unfortunately I don't think I can find a brush locally so I'll have to order one. I think I'll go out tonight and try to find a cream or soap that doesn't need a brush
Most creams you can rub on hand and generate a lather....

Welcome, brotha! If you are planning on putting together an online order, I would recommend an Omega boar and some Proraso shaving cream. Both are highly regarded on B&B.

Keep us posted on your progress...

Top Bottom