What's new

First time DE shave... target: the legs

Can anyone tell me what "natural bristles" means?
Okay, for 4 $ , I don't expect the brush to be silvertop badger hair, but what should I assume? Boar? Horse? Penguin Hair? :tongue:

P.S.: The hair looks bright, but maybe it is bleached.
In my experience, "natural bristles" refers to boar hair, whether in a shaving brush or a paint brush.

-Clarke

Ich bin Herr Doktor Eisen-Bart...

My wife borrowed my 90r, Vulfix and Proraso under the same circumstances with similar results.
Now she has a better understanding of why I use a DE.
I see some new creams and accessories in my future :)

Welcome aboard!

Hi! I'm ilkaisha, and I know I'm really waking up an old thread, but I found this to be an encouragement before I used my boyfriends DE blade just now. I did it all against the grain because I'm a fearless newbie, and escaped mostly unscathed.

To avoid nicks and cuts on your knees, SIT DOWN! I shaved sitting on the side of my tub, knees bent and feet in a puddle of creamy stubbly water. Shaved my calves, up to the point where my knee curved. Then pulled the skin on my knees tightly toward my calves and shaved that, again avoiding the actual curve. When I had cleared away as much of it as possible, I extended my leg, resting it on the opposite side of the tub. Then, I was able to again pull the skin tightly, and remove the few hairs that had been otherwise unreachable. Achilles tendon area is also less likely to be cut if you're sitting, and constantly changing angles - avoid planting your foot and tightening the tendon. The only part of the shave I had to stand up for was the back of my knees. You really can't see everything back there, so take it slow!

Hope this helps anyone else who might be Googling "DE shaving legs" and happens upon this forum!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hi! I'm ilkaisha, and I know I'm really waking up an old thread, but I found this to be an encouragement before I used my boyfriends DE blade just now. I did it all against the grain because I'm a fearless newbie, and escaped mostly unscathed.

To avoid nicks and cuts on your knees, SIT DOWN! I shaved sitting on the side of my tub, knees bent and feet in a puddle of creamy stubbly water. Shaved my calves, up to the point where my knee curved. Then pulled the skin on my knees tightly toward my calves and shaved that, again avoiding the actual curve. When I had cleared away as much of it as possible, I extended my leg, resting it on the opposite side of the tub. Then, I was able to again pull the skin tightly, and remove the few hairs that had been otherwise unreachable. Achilles tendon area is also less likely to be cut if you're sitting, and constantly changing angles - avoid planting your foot and tightening the tendon. The only part of the shave I had to stand up for was the back of my knees. You really can't see everything back there, so take it slow!

Hope this helps anyone else who might be Googling "DE shaving legs" and happens upon this forum!

Welcome to B&B!

This page might also help: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Leg_shaving

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You might want to look for a Ladies' "Blue Star" Gillette on ebay. The long handle makes leg shaving easier, and it is a pretty mild razor. Some men prefer it for shaving their face, too. You will know it by the little asterisk type stars engraved in the handle.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Guten Tag und Wie geht's?
proxy.php
MrsRadish aus Deutschland (another Lady in the House...YaY Baby!!!).
proxy.php

Welcome to the B & B (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom). Please feel free to come up to the promenade / sun deck 'sit-a-spell'.

Sounds like your off to a great start (and I'm not shocked because we have many great Ladies who are members), and yes...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and alround 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here.

That said, it might be very wise and 'sage' advice to purchase a Razor Blade Sampler to see what blade would be a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your legs and razor. By the way, I happen to like Shark Chrome with my DE Merkur's 23C & 38C razors.

"Merkur; Solingen quality, Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".
proxy.php

If you do purchase a Sampler, my advice is to try 2,3,4 or 5 blades (however which amount per blade brand), before moving on to the next blade.

Also, long ago when I received my Sampler, I started a Thread entitled "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", and the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the feathers. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness". :yesnod:

Also, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as thus (PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you my workable spread sheet example.);

Razor Blade / Country / Type - Sharpness? (Aggressive [Very Sharp], Moderate Sharpness or Mild Sharpness), - Closeness of Shave? - Smoothness/Roughness of Shave? - Comfort of Shave? - Overall Rating? (awesome, passable or unpleasant), and Compatible with your Razor(s)?

Enclose below is my Thread and member Posted Replies "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", which may be of some interest and help to you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=180210&highlight=order

The following ShaveWiki on Leg Shaving may be of some interest to you.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Leg_shaving

Although, you and your boy friend may not be additted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps :lol1:), from this shaving complusion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

Please don't forget once you get time....please tell us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum.

Christopher
proxy.php
"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Last edited:
First welcome to B&B

Second, I am a girl posting on this mainly manly forum as well. Glad to hear you started shaving with a DE razor and I am not the only crazy one that just started. The other day I was picking up some shaving cream for a project we were doing at my work and I glanced up to see all the "nasty" razors I use to spend lots of money on. It pretty much made my stomach turn. Hurts me to think about all the money we ever spent on cartridges when DE razors/shaving was available. Glad to hear your first shave went pretty well overall. Today was only my second shave with a DE and it went great! Patients is a virtue :)

Jessica

Top Bottom