What's new

First Tabac Try

So I got my first puck of Tabac and pressed it into my brand new old old spice mug, so do you guys build the lather in the mug and on the puck or just load and transfer to a bow (I usually bowl lather)

I would do whatever you usually do. Tabac lathers quite easily and I wouldn't expect it to cause you too much grief regardless of your method. When I had it, I always loaded the brush with soap and then face lathered. As with any soap, just make sure you load your brush enough. It's always better to over load than to not get enough soap onto the brush, in my opinion anyway.

Oliver

I load off the puck, then build the lather in the scuttle. Loves me some Tabac, especially with it's really cold and wintery out.

I would do whatever you usually do. Tabac lathers quite easily and I wouldn't expect it to cause you too much grief regardless of your method. When I had it, I always loaded the brush with soap and then face lathered. As with any soap, just make sure you load your brush enough. It's always better to over load than to not get enough soap onto the brush, in my opinion anyway.

Oliver

Would you soak the puck

Would you soak the puck

Perhaps when you first get the puck you could soak it, but with Tabac I don't think it's as beneficial as with something like MWF. I believe the main purpose of soaking is to allow you to load soap onto the brush more easily by making the soap softer, but I find Tabac is already somewhat soft and sticky and loads very easily. I certainly never found it necessary. You might like to try it though to see if it makes any difference for you. Good luck.

Oliver

Perhaps when you first get the puck you could soak it, but with Tabac I don't think it's as beneficial as with something like MWF. I believe the main purpose of soaking is to allow you to load soap onto the brush more easily by making the soap softer, but I find Tabac is already somewhat soft and sticky and loads very easily. I certainly never found it necessary. You might like to try it though to see if it makes any difference for you. Good luck.

Oliver

+1

Well I face lather my Tabac. I usually wet something like a Semogue 620 the shake out the water so the brush is fairly dry and load on up for about 30 seconds or so. At this point is is a fairly dry load so there aren't mounds of lather going everywhere then I dip the brush in the basin of water and move straight to my face to build up a lather.

I start off each subsequent pass by dipping the brush again, etc. Easily enough for 3 passes.

The one thing you will notice is that Tabac is a fairly typical triple-milled soap. It seems to last forever.

Ordered Tabac, tried Tabac, loved the lather, but hated the scent. Sold off the soap, AS, EDT, and balm.

It is one of the love it or hate it type scents, no doubt. There's been endless debate over it's scent on the forums here...ranks up there with The Veg and Arko in that regard.

It is one of the love it or hate it type scents, no doubt. There's been endless debate over it's scent on the forums here...ranks up there with The Veg and Arko in that regard.

In my opinion, it may be an "acquired" scent. I decided to attempt the 3017 treatment to a puck of Tabac, starting about two weeks ago. At first I didn't think I could stick with it, but after two weeks of (almost) daily use, it is starting to grow on me. I am pleased with this turn of events. I believe that if something requires some time to get accustomed to, it can be enjoyed for a lifetime.

To the OP: enjoy your new soap!

In my opinion, it may be an "acquired" scent. I decided to attempt the 3017 treatment to a puck of Tabac, starting about two weeks ago. At first I didn't think I could stick with it, but after two weeks of (almost) daily use, it is starting to grow on me. I am pleased with this turn of events. I believe that if something requires some time to get accustomed to, it can be enjoyed for a lifetime.

To the OP: enjoy your new soap!

Nice! My grandparents were German, like moved to the US after the war. So I remember the scent from their bathroom. I didn't know it was Tabac, back then, and merely picked some up as many here do to try, but upon first whiff the memory banks flooded and I was hooked. lol

I got my first puck of TABAC. I easily loaded up my brush in less than a minute with enough soap for a great 3-pass shave.

I personally like the scent.

proxy.php

I got my first puck of TABAC. I easily loaded up my brush in less than a minute with enough soap for a great 3-pass shave.

I personally like the scent.

proxy.php

Whoa, is that new packaging? I've not seen a plastic tub with what looks to be a screw on lid before...

I face lather Tabac but usually leave maybe a teaspoons worth of warm water on the puck just to loosen it up.

With Tabac, you really don't have to be so precise in your prep, it wants to become wonderful lather for you. I love that soap.

Top Bottom