What's new

First Synthetic Advice Wanted

Lately I've been getting the urge to try a synthetic. Currently I own just 2 brushes, both Simpson's Best Badger, a Duke 3 and a Commodore 2. I mostly face lather with hard soaps (MdC, Stirling, Mikes Natural, Speick stick). Among the models I'm considering are the Yaqui Moka Express, Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia and the RazoRock Hive 24. All are under $20, and with zero experience I don't have a clue which would serve me better, or if there's another synthetic I should be looking at instead of the above 3. Price matters, but if there's one that is absolutely hands down superior, but is more costly, then by all means tell me about it.

Mantic59 has been through a lot of brushes and he calls the PAA Peregrino "astonishing." I tend to agree.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You will not have any issues with the 3 brushes, the Sagrada Familia would be a good one because it has the Tuxedo knot, the Razorock hive 24mm looks the best so it would be one of those 2 brushes if it was my pick.

I did not like the Tuxedo knot in the Sagrada Familia and replaced it with the same knot as the one in the PAA Peregrino. I used that brush today and can heartily recommend the Peregrino. Coincidentally I used the RazoRock Hive yesterday, and can just as heartily recommend that one. Either way you won't go wrong with one of those. I also had and sold the Yaqi Moka Express synthetic (I still own the Moka 2 band badger). I think the Hive is similar but a better brush than the Moka synthetic. Of course, you'll find others around here who have completely different opinions on all of the above brushes.

If price is an issue then watch the Yaqi factory store on Aliexpress. Every few months they will put their timberwolf on sell for under $8. It's a nice brush.

My personal favorite is the Stirling Pro Handle $15 and free shipping from Pasteur's .

I would suggest the Timberwolf synthetic. Yaqi carries it in 24mm or 26mm and some other vendors do as well. It has the perfect balance of softness, splay, backbone, and latherability for me.

Another good one to start with is the plissoft-type. You can identify these easily by the color and vendors like Maggard, Stirling, and Razorock carries them. Easy synthetic to work with and I enjoy using it.

Still on the fence. I keep bouncing between Yaqi on Ali Express and Razorock's site, LOL.
Can't help but recommend the TurnNShave Chess brush $10 Probably one of the best introduction synthetic brushes from a great vendor!!
1643151184271.png

You said you mostly face lather. For me, brush shape is important for face lathering. I like the fan shape of my Parker silvertip for that. I do not like the bulb shape of the Simpson Trafalgar T3 for face lathering. So perhaps if you have a favorite brush for face lathering, look for a synthetic with the same shape.

So you’re used to Simpsons brushes and want to downgrade to a Yaqi?! Sorry, but Simpsons rules the roost in the brush dept. as far as I’m concerned. I’ve owned many brushes and the only ones I still use are all Simpsons. Every synthetic I’ve used have had huge glue bumps, but not the Simpsons.

Get a Trafalgar T2. It’s similar in size to the Duke 2 and Commodore 2. Trafalgar T1 makes the most lather I’ve ever seen and it’s tiny.

So you’re used to Simpsons brushes and want to downgrade to a Yaqi?! Sorry, but Simpsons rules the roost in the brush dept. as far as I’m concerned. I’ve owned many brushes and the only ones I still use are all Simpsons. Every synthetic I’ve used have had huge glue bumps, but not the Simpsons.

Get a Trafalgar T2. It’s similar in size to the Duke 2 and Commodore 2. Trafalgar T1 makes the most lather I’ve ever seen and it’s tiny.
I couldn't disagree with you more. If you have used some Yaqi synthetic brushes, then you're observations are certainly valid for you, but my experience has been very different. I have owned a Simpsons Trafalgar T2, Chubby 2 synthetic and Duke 3 synthetic. I have sold the T2 and Chubby and have listed the Duke 3 on the BST. I still own and use the following synthetics: Yaqi Rainbow Brown (pony), Yaqi Mink, PAA Roswell Grey Hybrid, RazoRock Hive and TurnNShave Full Moon.

According to Mantic59, the Peregrino and Aerolite have the same fiber but the Aerolite handle is a little smaller.
Here's how the PAA website describes the Aerolite's knot:
" With this release we are also introducing our latest, NEW hybrid knot, The Spectral Synth! Fans of our knots, especially the Roswell Grey (Peregrino/Starcraft Knot), will immediately recognize the similarity in feel and performance. In fact, the only real difference is the color and The Size!"

Top Bottom