What's new

First success

I just got some straights back from Doc226 and had my first successful SR shave!

I had a W&B that I found in the wild at my local barbershop sitting in box of razors in a display case. Didn't do anything with the razor for about 2 years and finally sent to Doc for honing as he got my Mappin and Webb set for restoration.

I have experience with shavettes, so understood then general technique. Shaved with Tabac for the first time (Doc was kind enough to include a puck for me to try subsequent to some conversation). My lather with Tabac wasn't perfect, but the soap is a great performer and should be phenomenal once I dial it in. No objections to the scent, either.

I did not have much growth as I had a DFS yesterday, but achieved a successful, blood and irritation free 2 pass SAS before running out of time (night shift was calling). I quickly DE buffed a small spot under my chin and a patch on the right side of my neck and had a completely acceptable shave which even included a bit of against the grain on my lower lip.

Doc mentioned how much more forgiving a real straight is, and he was not wrong. I tried to focus on correct blade angle and pretty much just did what I would do with a shavette for the rest and was very pleased with the result. Looking forward to incorporating more SR shaves into my routine, but I now know I need ample time to take it slow!

Congratulations on what sounds like a very good first str8 razor shave! Doc's edges are very keen and face friendly and his recommendation for Tabac is spot on IMO. I use it almost all of the time and always when test shaving.
Yes take your time, no need to rush such a great experience.

I just got some straights back from Doc226 and had my first successful SR shave!

I had a W&B that I found in the wild at my local barbershop sitting in box of razors in a display case. Didn't do anything with the razor for about 2 years and finally sent to Doc for honing as he got my Mappin and Webb set for restoration.

I have experience with shavettes, so understood then general technique. Shaved with Tabac for the first time (Doc was kind enough to include a puck for me to try subsequent to some conversation). My lather with Tabac wasn't perfect, but the soap is a great performer and should be phenomenal once I dial it in. No objections to the scent, either.

I did not have much growth as I had a DFS yesterday, but achieved a successful, blood and irritation free 2 pass SAS before running out of time (night shift was calling). I quickly DE buffed a small spot under my chin and a patch on the right side of my neck and had a completely acceptable shave which even included a bit of against the grain on my lower lip.

Doc mentioned how much more forgiving a real straight is, and he was not wrong. I tried to focus on correct blade angle and pretty much just did what I would do with a shavette for the rest and was very pleased with the result. Looking forward to incorporating more SR shaves into my routine, but I now know I need ample time to take it slow!
Awesome first run!

Tabac is a good soap but give Williams a try..very old soap from the days when straights were the only thing available!

Tabac is a good soap but give Williams a try..very old soap from the days when straights were the only thing available!

While I'm pretty new to SR's, I'm not new to wet shaving, hence I refuse to subject my face to modern Williams. Haven't tried the vintage stuff yet. I have ample variety, and currently L&L is king of the hill in my shave den.

Top Bottom