What's new

First straight shave Part 2

Following on from Part 1 (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103235) the story continues..............

The strops arrived from TM. Sensational pieces of kit, I could frame the latigo strop and hang it on the wall, it really is a piece of art.

So I gave the Quack 20 strokes on the learner strop then another 20 and finally 20 on the latigo. Things were looking good, the strops were still in one piece and no nicks.

Did all the prep, mixed up a sweet batch of M de C lather, picked up the Quack in the classic "three finger and thumb" hold and set to my right jaw.......

What a disaster!! :eek:

I bounced and skipped and scraped my way around my face. No cuts but three weepers and some severe burning later and I had to stop. The problem was getting the right hold and angle and I was using a shave ready straight so there was plenty of hesitation involved.

Two days later and I decide that the biggest problem was getting the correct hold and blade position for the shave. Now testing various options was difficult with the Quack because one wrong move and I would lose parts of my face.

What I needed was a practice blade, something about the same size as a straight without the sharpness and ability to remove my ear if I got it wrong.

So daft as it may seem I had a couple of practice goes with this.....

proxy.php

And guess what it made a huge difference :w00t: I was able to work out how to stretch my face, where to put my fingers etc etc. without bleeding and with confidence because the blade is blunt!!

I have just had my second straight shave and it was sensational compared to the first. I had all the holds worked out and knew how I was going to shave each part of my face.

There are still a few spots that need work and whilst I spilt no blood I have managed to take a layer of skin off under my nose.

So to end a long story I would suggest that any newbie about to try a first straight shave, practice with the cheese knife first. :biggrin:

Cheers

Last edited:
While I didn't utilize this approach for my first go (which wasn't as frustrating as your experience) I can imagine it would have probably made it a less nervous experience at the very least!

Keep at it! As a fellow newbie I just want to improve my skills, practice makes perfect I guess!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice one mate! I think the problem might be your Martin de Candre. I can take it off your hands if you want... I would want to read that you send it to the trash! :biggrin:

You will see that your blade won't skip as much on your next shave. You might want to do a few more laps on the strop.

Top Bottom