What's new

First Straight Shave Down

Finally made the leap into straight shaving this week and picked up a Dovo Imitation Tortoise Shell 5/8 from Vintage Blades. Beautiful piece. Took the advice of SRP and only shaved the portion from the sideburn down to the jaw bone and just a bit of the cheek. Finished up with my normal Merkur HD + Feather combo. Looking forward to shaving more and more with the straight! Also, any recommendations on how to shave the neck? My hair grows in the direction from my ear to chin so its a little tough to do a normal WTG pass with the straight. Any particular grips I should get accustomed to for that?

Finally made the leap into straight shaving this week and picked up a Dovo Imitation Tortoise Shell 5/8 from Vintage Blades. Beautiful piece. Took the advice of SRP and only shaved the portion from the sideburn down to the jaw bone and just a bit of the cheek. Finished up with my normal Merkur HD + Feather combo. Looking forward to shaving more and more with the straight! Also, any recommendations on how to shave the neck? My hair grows in the direction from my ear to chin so its a little tough to do a normal WTG pass with the straight. Any particular grips I should get accustomed to for that?

Congrats on the first shave. Was the blade honed? I got the same Dovo in December. Special right? Mine shaved like gaffa tape first time out. Went to see a pro honer a few days later and got much better shaves off it. You're doing the right thing. Don't try for the whole shave until you get more confidant holding it, shaving the easier parts and training up your left hand (if your right is your dominant hand).

My neck hair is all over the place. I just do a north south for now. My progression has been: cheeks, neck, upper lip. Still struggling with the chin area. A lot of contours to navigate. I must admit, I don't practice nearly enough. I've got to stop buying vintage Gillettes :) no shame in finishing up with a DE. You're learning an old art.

Yep, the blade was honed by Lynn Abrams. Blade was nice and sharp! No nicks, cuts, or irritation so I'd say that's a win! Hell my first DE experience way back went worse if I remember correctly haha

Sounds similar to my experience. I got a Boker from SRD and it was sharpened by Lynn Abrams. Did all downward yesterday and did fine. Got a little cocky this morning and have a few red lines carved into my face :blush:. SWMBA asked me if I got in a cat fight or used a hatchet.

Sounds similar to my experience. I got a Boker from SRD and it was sharpened by Lynn Abrams. Did all downward yesterday and did fine. Got a little cocky this morning and have a few red lines carved into my face :blush:. SWMBA asked me if I got in a cat fight or used a hatchet.

Haha well my second go around seemed better than the first so no scratches for me. :thumbup1:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Welcome to the world of straights! Experience is the best teacher for these things, but that won't stop any of us from tossing you our 2 cents worth :lol:

Sounds like you are doing well.

Top Bottom