What's new

First straight razor shave

First straight is a Ralph Aust 5/8 I purchased from Maggard and tried it (or any straight) for the first time this afternoon right out of the box. Felt really good with my dominant hand and I was able to shave one side of my face with no cuts at all. Switching hands was a different ballgame. Got a chunk of ear and shaved the left cheek ok but it felt really awkward. I had a strong tendency to to not pay as much attention to my angle on the left side because I was using the heel of the blade way more than the toe and was tying to avoid getting lather on the tang.. and just called it quits after that. Good enough for the first time I guess. My ear will be fine.

Holding a razor in the left hand feels like an accident waiting to happen but persevere and you'll pick it up surprisingly quickly.

When I started I'd do the sides of my face & my neck then finish with a DE. The "muzzle" area under the nose down to the chin is the hard bit. That can wait until you start to get a feel for the razor.

Watch all the skin-stretching vids on youtube ;)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Barbarian80 congratulations and welcome to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving.

My most important tip for you is to SR shave daily, whether you need to or not. Every day lost is one you will never catch up on (and it will take you more SR shaves to develop your technique.

I assume that you have a strop. Keep it clean. When stropping before each SR shave, take your time so as to avoid cutting the strop up too much. Hold the strop reasonably taught and strop with no pressure, just the weight of the blade. You should see almost no deflection in the strop while stropping. Do about 50 laps if your available stropping length is about 450mm (18"). If shorter (longer), increase (decrease) the number of laps accordingly.

The Ralf Aust is a great SR and Maggard's usually know how to prepare them. If, after your second or third SR shave, you feel that SR shaving could be for you, start putting together a set of diamond pasted balsa strops. With proper blade maintenance on these pasted balsa strops, your SR will never need honing again.

By the end of January, you will be wishing that you started SR shaving in your teens.https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/posts/10897369/

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have a horse hide strop but didn't strop this razor, yet.
Quite correct. With a professionally prepared SR edge, you should not strop before its first couple of uses. You should however strop the SR very gently just before about your third shave.

I still vividly remember my first SR shave a couple of years ago.

Quite correct. With a professionally prepared SR edge, you should not strop before its first couple of uses. You should however strop the SR very gently just before about your third shave.

I still vividly remember my first SR shave a couple of years ago.
Thanks! That's about what I had in mind. I tried tree topping arm hairs with it and it was cutting hair but I expected more. It is cutting comfortably though and feels better than a DE.

I can see just fine on the right/strong side. The left side was harder to see. Definitely going to take some time. The gentleman posting videos doing it make it look easy.

It might not be helpful, but what I find necessary is to figure out the combination of body rotation and neck rotation that achieves the triple goal of stretching, seeing and relaxing. I have seen people try to keep their body the same position and keep twisting and twisting their neck when they should have stopped and changed their lower body position. You may have to move with every side and pass, but it also keeps your legs from getting fatigued.

It might not be helpful, but what I find necessary is to figure out the combination of body rotation and neck rotation that achieves the triple goal of stretching, seeing and relaxing. I have seen people try to keep their body the same position and keep twisting and twisting their neck when they should have stopped and changed their lower body position. You may have to move with every side and pass, but it also keeps your legs from getting fatigued.
This actually did the trick! Way less awkward when I adjusted my feet instead of twisting my neck. I did 2 wtg passes.

Also my razor barley touches the scales to one side when i fold it up. I felt a little resistance when I folded it up after finishing and gasped. Hope I didn't kill the edge. Is this razor defective? Can't imagine it should ever not clear the scales.

my razor barley touches the scales to one side when i fold it up. I felt a little resistance when I folded it up after finishing and gasped. Hope I didn't kill the edge. Is this razor defective? Can't imagine it should ever not clear the scales.
Try dusting the razor with talcum powder? If it sticks to the blade - I've no idea if it will - gently closing & opening the razor will show you which part of the blade is hitting the scales.

I suspect you're probably OK and the contact will be well behind the edge, or even back in the tang.

It is cutting comfortably though and feels better than a DE.
I think you learn a lot about shaving with a straight which you can't learn any other way. There's nothing between you and a very sharp edge.

The number one thing to learn is discipline. A razor-sharp edge can glide easily across the skin but you always have to give it your full attention. If I feel tired or rushed I pick up a DE instead.

It's easy to remember to be disciplined when you're holding the blade against your face but folks have sometimes had horrendous cuts after a careless fumble honing or inspecting a razor. ALWAYS be extremely disciplined whenever you pick up a straight.

After a bit it just becomes second nature, a force of habit. This is the time to learn good habits ;)

Not many new straight users would think of moving their feet instead of twisting their head. Good tip .

What matters is remembering the specific combination of foot, neck and razor position for each pass and side. It gets old trying different combinations with every shave. Kind of like mapping your beard when you start wet shaving.

This tip is credited to Geofatboy. I don't like most tube videos, but at least the man is honest that he is running a business. And he seems genuinely interested in teaching. Some people have no other help to get started.

Top Bottom