What's new

First Straight-Razor Restoration (Shumate Tungsten)

I just got into straight razors. It was actually a rather impulsive, spur-of-the-moment thing. I had thought of trying it back when I was in high school, but I always thought I'd have to take a leap of faith with a $100+ razor first. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across a jar full of neglected straights in an antique shop, with each priced somewhere in the $10-$12 range.

Anyways, 5 minutes of googling what to look for, and picking one that seemed the least rusty/ground down, I walked away with a $12 Shumate Tungsten. Then I got home and alternated between google and the workbench to get this back into a shaveable condition.

Album + commentary:
Restored an Antique Straight Razor

Finally made myself a proper strop to go with the razor. I enjoy portability, so I just made a paddle strop with a T-shaped handle (the fleur-de-lis) to cut down on length even further.
Crox on one side, smooth leather on the other.

On a related note: remind me to never carve anything out with just a pocket knife and a hobby scalpel ever again.

Attachments

• IMG_5284.JPG
    IMG_5284.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Well, you've got me hooked, even if I don't shave with one (I'd prefer stainless as my starter for hygiene and rust immunity )..... I'm going to start looking and collecting incase one day over a whisky and cigar I decide to make the move .... and start restoring.
Sad how many of these are probably in land fill by now, but luckily there must be millions still left ....

Top Bottom