What's new

First straight razor purchase.

Hey guys, I'm new to straight shaving and I'm trying to get some info on a blade I just purchased. Reading B&B led me to april7th1989 on ebay. I bought a Favorit 750 which seems to be in great condition.

What I'm asking is if anyone knows the blades origin/manufacturer and maybe general age? I'm waiting for it to be delivered and plan to update the post with some pics. If they are bad blades then it's no biggie, since It only ran me $60, and its for me to get started with something other than the shavette I've been using. Thanks in advance :p

Favorit are great, very fine hollow ground razors, it will certainly "sing" when you use it. Not sure on age, but a nice razor all the same.

Awesome, I've read people calling them "Tanifuji", so I wonder if they're a type of knock-off or even Japanese.

They are made in the same place as tanifuji razors, they are Japanese. They are not a knock off, I've usually found Japanese razors to be the most consistently high quality. That razor is likely going be fantastic. I've bought from April7th1989 before, the edge comes decently sharp. I prefer to touch them up just a bit, but it will probably be sharp enough to get you out the gate with straight razor shaving.

These are the pics from the seller. Crack by the pin but was assured its stable, and I can get new scales later on.

Attachments

• razor 4.jpg
    razor 4.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 48
  • razor 3.jpg
    razor 3.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 55
  • razor 2.jpg
    razor 2.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 55
  • razor 1.jpg
    razor 1.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 55
They are made in the same place as tanifuji razors, they are Japanese. They are not a knock off, I've usually found Japanese razors to be the most consistently high quality. That razor is likely going be fantastic. I've bought from April7th1989 before, the edge comes decently sharp. I prefer to touch them up just a bit, but it will probably be sharp enough to get you out the gate with straight razor shaving.
I second that regarding Japanese straight razors. I’ve not purchased a bad one yet and if I had to select between Japanese or Solingen it would be from the Land Of The Rising Sun!

I'm really happy to hear that it is Japanese, their quality and craftsmanship is legendary. Can't wait to slap on some Proraso green and Stirling Island Man and get to it :p

I'm really happy to hear that it is Japanese, their quality and craftsmanship is legendary. Can't wait to slap on some Proraso green and Stirling Island Man and get to it :p
Especially in sword making. That’s their thing! Long history of metal working there.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
That’s a very fine razor. There were several Cape Swedish Steel razors and some others stamped ‘Perfect Works Silver Steel‘ on the pile side tang. These are IMO exceptionally made razors. There‘s also a presumptive connection between Tanifuji and Perfectworks via the Club 2000 razor and the Cape Swedish Steel that he very likely made for Nichiri (I also have a Cape 1000 Swedish Steel with Tanifuju stamps) - them there’s the Cape Kennedy model signed by Tanifuji.

That’s probably more than you want to know but you’ve got a very good razor there.

What is the consensus on SR's made from Pakistan or India are they any good and what should be top dollar if bidding on one? Any knowledge on this subject much appreciated! Thanks

agree to the assessment on that specific seller......so far good stuff!!!!

congrats on the purchase @Endrid_Cold !!!!

camo

What is the consensus on SR's made from Pakistan or India are they any good and what should be top dollar if bidding on one? Any knowledge on this subject much appreciated! Thanks

the consensus is they’re Razor Shaped Objects (RSOs). They’re poorly proportioned, improperly heat treated and consequently won’t hold an edge. They can make decent letter openers, but shouldn’t be attempted for a shave. top dollar bid? $0.00

Reactions: CCR
Holy crap, this why it pays to do research before you bid. Love this board for all it's knowledge and it's honesty. I hate to retract any bids, i guess i can use them for honing experience and lesson learned if i win the bid. Thanks for your honesty KW much appreciated

Holy crap, this why it pays to do research before you bid. Love this board for all it's knowledge and it's honesty. I hate to retract any bids, i guess i can use them for honing experience and lesson learned if i win the bid. Thanks for your honesty KW much appreciated

if you’re into a Bengal, or an “India Steel” labeled Sheffield maker, that’s a different thing.

Paki made razors, though? Pass

Reactions: CCR
if you’re into a Bengal, or an “India Steel” labeled Sheffield maker, that’s a different thing.

Paki made razors, though? Pass
Luckly was out bid thought i bid on several but it was only one. I do have several bids on Genco and a couple green lizards tho. The Lizards need a lot of work tho

Top Bottom