What's new

First straight razor attempt

533B1C02-A4B8-4D39-8F35-EF0E10363D75.jpeg
Well I finally got up enough nerve to try it. After all the video watching and reading of the posts here it all paid off. I know I need to hone all of my straights but I decided on my sharpest one, did 30 passes on the linnen if my Illinois strop (vintage one) and 60 on the leather. Then tested it my topping a hair on my arm, which it cut but with a quick swipe. I decided to give it a go with a 1 pass shave. Did everything right. No cuts, maybe a weeper or 2, just took my time and tried to find the best angle and way to get the tight spots. In the end success! And something I will keep up. I use a boker king cutter, whipped dog brush, p 160, Illinois strop, and finished with fine Italian citrus.

Oh I know not to get cocky with a straight razor. Even tho it wasn’t as sharp as I’d like it to be, the second I felt it bite to cut me I stopped and then started again gently. At first I didn’t think it was sharp enough to shave with but after 1 pass there was a noticible trimming of the hair. I didn’t want to push it so I finished up with my fatboy and called it a day. I plan on getting all my straights honed after the holidays since I won’t be able to use them because my vision will be messed up for a few days from cateract surgey tomorrow. The unfortunate thing is I’m 41 and need this type of surgery because of meds they inject into my eye. Well at least it’s only one eye they have to fix.

Congrats! It looks like the toe is slightly rounded, which is good! That is where most of my mishaps come from. Both of my razors have a square toe, and slightly too much pressure towards the toe results in a very good (bad?) cut.

You’re smart because your stopped and started again. Good job. Keep the lather hydrated. Learn to use both hands

We can help you hone your own with $30 worth of lapping films. @steveclarkus helped me learn how. Send me or him and pm

Here is a closer pic of my boker king cutter. I bought this one off of evil bay about 6 months ago and it was sharp when it arrived. It does need a hone to be perfect, and the toe is rounded. Every time I look at it I can’t believe the blade etching is still on the blade and the gold is still on the etch as well. I am interested in trying lapping film. I will get the info about all of that later on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Here is a closer pic of my boker king cutter. I bought this one off of evil bay about 6 months ago and it was sharp when it arrived. It does need a hone to be perfect, and the toe is rounded. Every time I look at it I can’t believe the blade etching is still on the blade and the gold is still on the etch as well. I am interested in trying lapping film. I will get the info about all of that later on.
Newbie Honing Compendium

All of my early cuts were at the top of cheek bone. Had to learn how to bring it to the skin . Cuts help you learn. Good luck.

If I bought an SR, I would get a rounded toe. Both of mine have a square tip, but one was found, and the other is actually a loan from @Dick peck.

Any time you might get discouraged, just remember that the hardest part is now already behind you!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Newbie Honing Compendium

Lapping film is great stuff. Welcome to the club! Bit of advice, stay too long and you'll be hooked forever.

Top Bottom