What's new

First Straight Edge Shave

March 6, 2019

Shave #3 with a straight

First, the hardware and software:

• The Monarch Razor, Extra Hollow Ground
  • Proraso white pre-shave
  • Murphy & McNeil Reyes Restores (early batch sample)
  • Every Ready 1000L with a TGN SilverTip Master Badger (19mm bulb)
  • Osma Alum
  • Lucky Tiger after shave
  • Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm (made in Mexico)
Keeping with what I learned before, I stropped the razor on the leather beforehand, about 20 times on my basic leather strop, and used both hands to shave my mug. I shaved my entire face, with the exception of my mustache, which I used a Gillette Fat Handle Tech for (that was just too difficult for now).

Was the third time the charm? Yes and no. It continues to get easier with my right hand, but my left hand remains a bit difficult. I also had more trouble this time with my chin and under my lip, than I did in the last shave, but overall progress was made. I shaved my entire face, minus my mustache area. I did that with a Gillette Ball End tech and a Pol Silver super iridium. Its amazing to see how smooth the DE is versus a straight.

My left hand remains a bit weak. It is difficult to get under my chin and neckline there, but I was still able to make progress. There is a difference in results on my left side vs my right. I assume practice will get me there.

Blood was drawn a few times, again, nothing to worry about. One was where I shaved over a pimple -- which was a bad idea.

I finished the third pass with the DE. Overall, DFS.

I finished the shave with a cold water rinse followed with the alum block. The alum didn't sting as much as the last time I used a straight. Lucky Tiger and Balm

I finished by stropping my blade on the cotton about 50 passes (one pass is one lap or 25 full back and forth passes), and put it away dry with toilet paper surrounding the blade

A few things I've noticed:
  • The slicker the soap the better
  • Don't hesitate. In other words, get your angle and move
  • The better the angle, the quieter (or the less is sings)
  • If you think the angle is off, pull the razor away, and start again.
  • The Murphy & McNeil soap is really good

Again, I will take any advice.

Thanks for reading

Another one in the books!

The more you dive in and get those shaves under your belt, the easier it will become! Any chance of doing it daily?

Another one in the books!

The more you dive in and get those shaves under your belt, the easier it will become! Any chance of doing it daily?
Thank you, sir.

At this point, I don't plan to use a straight daily. I don't have that much time and I'm not sure my skin could handle it. a few time a week is good for now. But who knows what the future may bring.

A few things I've noticed
  • Don't hesitate. In other words, get your angle and move
  • The better the angle, the quieter (or the less is sings)
  • If you think the angle is off, pull the razor away, and start again.

Thanks for reading

Sounds like you have the right idea and your technique will continue to improve.
The only real cut I ever got with a straight was when I put the blade to back of my neck, then hesitated while I thought about weather I had the angle and direction of travel right. I now try to never let the blade sit idle on skin. I have gotten nicks since then, but no cuts.

Shave #4 with a straight
March 10, 2019

• Noble Otter Northern Elixir
  • Every Ready 1000L with a TGN SilverTip Master Badger (19mm bulb)
  • Thayer's
  • Osma Alum
  • Pitralon Original (germany)
Keeping with what I learned before, I stropped the razor on the leather beforehand, about 20 times on my basic leather strop, and used both hands to shave my mug. I faced lathered the Noble Otter, which is good soap. I could have made it slicker, but it was still good.

What I did differently was shave my entire face with the straight. I had the DE on deck ready to go, but I figured let's try this out.

I did the right side with my cheeks easily. Even just a mere four times into it, it gets easier with practice.
I did the cheeks on my left side fairly easily. My left is not my strong hand, so its a bit more difficult for me.
I try to ensure that I stretch my skin on the cheeks and when I get to the neck.

I then proceeded to hit my chin and under my lip. Again, no real issues here. I just need to be careful with the angle and so I don't cut myself.

Then I hit the mustache area. I watched a few videos and figured, let's try this out. I watched a few videos (thanks guys) and went at it. My method was basically get the dull part of the blade under my nose and work the angle from there. I used both hands and moved the razor every which way, but I did a fairly good job.

I performed a second and third pass with the grain (a little bit across the grain), using both hands. I never touched the DE. What I got was a decent shave, not great, but passable for work and definitely passable for a grey Sunday.

I had to clean up my left side a bit more than my right, particularly on my jawline, but I'm happy with the results.

I had a few weepers, but nothing to cry about. w

I finished the shave with a cold water rinse followed with the alum block. The alum stings less than it did the last time. However, when I applied the Pitralon, ZOWIE! then it quickly faded and did its magic. as much as the last time I used a straight. Lucky Tiger and Balm

I finished 25 full back and forth passes), and put it away dry with toilet paper surrounding the blade

• Getting proficient with my dominant hand is not too hard
  • Get that lather slick and ensure you have enough for three passes
  • Think before you cut. particularly around your lips
  • Use your hands to feel where you missed the hair
  • It is a learning process
A question for you guys: How do you see your sideburns when you first go at the shave? That is a hard thing, because I only have a mirror facing me, and it seems my hands get in the way.

Again, open to any advice.

-peter

What I did differently was shave my entire face with the straight. I had the DE on deck ready to go, but I figured let's try this out.

I did the right side with my cheeks easily. Even just a mere four times into it, it gets easier with practice.

You are understanding! Bringing up your comfort level to the task at hand is a major key!

A question for you guys: How do you see your sideburns when you first go at the shave? That is a hard thing, because I only have a mirror facing me, and it seems my hands get in the way.

Again, open to any advice.

-peter

It’s a learned thing just like the rest of it, getting that line of sight, easily and comfortably. Perhaps practice here and there with the blade (or a large full butter knife) just off your face. Rotate the head down slightly, like you’re in the middle of a nod, then turn it 30-45 degrees away from the mirror, so your sideburn is in full view.

You are understanding! Bringing up your comfort level to the task at hand is a major key!

It’s a learned thing just like the rest of it, getting that line of sight, easily and comfortably. Perhaps practice here and there with the blade (or a large full butter knife) just off your face. Rotate the head down slightly, like you’re in the middle of a nod, then turn it 30-45 degrees away from the mirror, so your sideburn is in full view.
thanks!

Definitely watching this thread... Did my first SR shave this morning.

Fortunately for me I have a three door mirror so I can swing those out to help with lines of sight.

March 14, 2019

Shave #5 with a straight

• Haslinger Soap
  • Semogue 1800
  • Osma Alum
  • Ludedo After Shave
Keeping with what I learned before, I stropped the razor on the denim/cotton strap beforehand (25 laps) and then another 20 laps on the basic leather strop, and used both hands to shave my mug. I shaved my entire face using both hands.

I used Haslinger for a few reasons: 1) I haven't used it in a while; 2) I know its slick and produces a good lather.

Am I continuing to improve my technique? You bet. My dominant hand (right) continues to get easier and easier. Once I hit that angle, shaving my cheeks easy and almost effortless. The left hand, not so much. It is less difficult than earlier shaves, but I'm not progressing as quickly on this side as on the right. I figure this is normal.

One thing I noticed with my first pass is that I wanted or expected to take off more hair. Then I remembered what I learned when learning to used a DE: Its all about hair reduction.

I'm managing to get the mustache area, but I can get it more easily with my dominant vs weak hand.

The second pass was much easier on both sides and on my face and chin. I went with the grain again, but took off a lot of remaining hair. and the third pass I went across and with the grain and ended up with a decent, presentable shave.

I had one very minor weeper.

I finished the shave with a cold water rinse followed with the alum block. The alum didn't sting as much as the last time I used a straight. I then followed with Lucedo and a balm and Balm

I finished by stropping my blade on the cotton about 25 passes on the cotton, about 10 on the leather.

• The soap, particularly on the first pass needs to be slick. I had a good lather, but I should have worked it more to make it more slick. The 2nd and third passes are good.
  • Practice makes perfect
  • One weeper is progress

Thanks for reading

Try doing other tasks like brushing your teeth, brushing/combing your hair, stirring something you are cooking etc. With your non-dominant hand. It may help with general coordination and comfort. In general it's good to switch things up like that to exercise the other side of the brain.

As far as sideburns go do this trick my dad taught me, take a fine toothed comb and run it through under running water, give it a little shake and comb your sideburn down and into the shaving lather after you have lathered your face. This straightens all the hair of your side burn so you can effectively true it up and you can see a bit better through the lines you made in the shave lather as to where to start. Repeat the same process for the other side. It’s sorta like geofatboys clear the runways thing :001_rolle but without removing the lather so much. HTHYO :001_smile

Larry

99AD7421-1B9B-408A-BE36-0125CBDAFE0F.jpeg
March 17, 2019

Shave #6 with a straight

• Wickham's Cashmere
  • Semogue 1800
  • Thayer's
  • Osma Alum
  • Soap Smooth Barbershop Aftershave
  • Nivea two in one balm made in Germany
Keeping with what I learned before, I stropped the razor on the denim/cotton strap beforehand (25 laps) and then another 20 laps on the basic leather strop, and used both hands to shave my mug. I shaved my entire face using both hands.

I went at today's shave with confidence, perhaps too much confidence.

I see myself improving with my weak (left) hand and my dominant hand, but I had about 7 cuts and weepers and a really big razor burn/cut right below my jawline on my neck.
The Good:
  • My technique is improving
  • I'm less intimidated with each shave
  • I can now shave my mustache area and chin fairly well
  • I'm learning that its beard reduction and I'm not going to get it all in one pass
  • I find myself getting a closer shave each time
The not so good:
  • I think I went too hard at my skin and got razor burn.
  • Too many weepers
  • The alum burned a bit
  • The aftershave burned a lot

As I noted before, I think I have a tendency to go too hard at my skin, and not let the razor do its work. I think I have the angles down. I believe this is the case because the alum stung a bit, and the Soap Smooth aftershave, which rarely reacts to my skin, met my mug with quite a sting until it mellowed out. I also noticed that my face was a bit irritated for a few hours post shave -- not good.

I'm still just shaving primarily with the grain and a little bit across the grain.

I finished by stropping my blade on the cotton about 25 passes on the cotton, about 10 on the leather.

Thanks for reading

March 24, 2019

Shave #7 with a straight

• VI JOHN Cream with Tea Tree oil (India)
  • Ever Ready 1000L reknotted with a TGN Master Badger silvertip (19mm)
  • Thayer's
  • Osma Alum
  • Lucky Tiger Aftershave

I went at today's shave with confidence, but not too much confidence. I took a break from the straight earlier this week and got a phenomenal shave with a DE. Today, after working in the yard, I took a shower and resumed my DE experiment.

To quote the Beatles, "its getting better all the time," and it truly is. I think it helped that I was a little worn out and not caffeinated. I also believe that my last shave, which was a bit aggressive, was a learning experience and I knew to take it easy. I also used a cream I rarely ever use.

Today's shave was three passes. Two with the grain, one across. I'd describe it as a DFS on my face and pretty damn good on my chin and neck.

I'm continuing to improve. My weak hand is getting more stable and my dominant hand continues to gain confidence.
The Good:
  • My technique is improving
  • I'm less intimidated with each shave
  • no weepers
  • muscle memory is getting there
  • I find myself getting a closer shave each time and more confident with each shave
  • Its challenging, which makes it fun
  • No razor burn
The not so good:
  • I have a funny cut on my right cheek that I didn't notice until 20 minutes after the shave
  • I can still feel the alum burn, but it burns less

I finished by stropping my blade on the cotton about 25 passes on the cotton, about 20 on the leather.

Thanks for reading

Top Bottom