What's new

First Straight Edge Shave

One small thing is use alum and then witch hazel. I think you’re washing the witch hazel off when you cold water splash post alum. Witch hazel/lucky tiger combo is very soothing. Up to you tho.

One small thing is use alum and then witch hazel. I think you’re washing the witch hazel off when you cold water splash post alum. Witch hazel/lucky tiger combo is very soothing. Up to you tho.
That’s how I do it

Shave
Cole water rinse
Alum
Cold water rinse
Witch hazel
After shave
Balm

And you are right, the combo of alum->witch hazel -> lucky tiger is a good one.

That’s how I do it

Shave
Cole water rinse
Alum
Cold water rinse
Witch hazel
After shave
Balm

And you are right, the combo of alum->witch hazel -> lucky tiger is a good one.

Ahhh ok, the list you posted on shave 7 led me to think you were using witch hazel then alum.

April 5, 2019

Shave #8 with a straight

First, the hardware and software:
  • The Monarch Razor, Extra Hollow Ground
  • Mickey Lee Soapworks Cape Verde (1st use)
  • Ever Ready 1000L reknotted with a TGN Master Badger silvertip (19mm)
  • Osma Alum
  • Thayer's
  • Pitralon Classic (Germany) Aftershave
  • Nivea Sensitive Balm
Keeping with what I learned before, I stropped the razor on the denim/cotton strap beforehand (25 laps) and then another 20 laps on the basic leather strop, and used both hands to shave my mug. I shaved my entire face using both hands.

Today's shave was my first with a straight in over a week. It was also my first shave with a straight with any significant hair on my face. I cut off about a week's worth or growth.

My technique continues to improve, yet I know I am not close to mastering the fine art of the Straight. A few key things I noticed. While my left (or weaker) hand is still less effective than my dominant hand, my confidence and skill level is far from where I started. And on my right hand, I'm developing some skill and better maneuverability with the razor and whether I used the end of the middle.

Today's shave I made sure to notice the angle and take very short stokes to slice the beard. I also tried to use a light touch -- but the alum and aftershave told me otherwise. The shave is DFS, except for the jawline on my left hand side. That should be touched up.

I'm continuing to improve. My weak hand is getting more stable and my dominant hand continues to gain confidence.
The Good:
  • My technique is improving
  • I'm less intimidated with each shave
  • muscle memory is getting there
  • more razor control with dominant hand
The not so good:
  • Don't use a soap you don't know. While the soap is really nice, i didn't load or lather it like I wanted to.
  • The Pitralon Aftershave hit me with a big pow of a burn, then sooth my skin.
  • 4 weepers all on my weak side

I finished by stropping my blade on the cotton about 25 passes on the cotton, about 20 on the leather.

Again, I will take any advice.

Thanks for reading

April 9, 2019

Shave #9 with a straight

First, the hardware and software:
  • The Monarch Razor, Extra Hollow Ground
  • K Shave Works Major Wood
  • Ever Ready 1000L reknotted with a TGN Master Badger silvertip (19mm)
  • Osma Alum
  • Proraso Green splash
  • Proraso white balm
Stropped 20 laps on the denim/cotton and then another 20 laps on the basic leather strop.

I’m continuing to and used both hands to shave my mug. I shaved my entire face using both hands.

My technique continues to improve, particularly in my dominant hand, where now I’m tempted, but not lured to use only that hand.

Today's shave I continued to ensure I had the right angle, take short strokes and have a very light touch. I also paid particular attention to how I am holding the razor (last week in this board I asked about holding a straight) a bit differently when I go across the grain.

Two passes + touch ups = DFs
The Good:
  • My technique is improving
  • I'm less intimidated with each shave
  • muscle memory is getting there
  • more razor control with dominant hand
  • Figuring out how to hold it comfortable
  • Post shave alum sting improved and I’d rate it equal to some early DE shaves.
The not so good
  • The soap needs to be SLICK
  • 3 weepers
  • Irritation below my jaw on neck

Top Bottom