What's new

First SR shave

I had my first SR shave today. Used a new Aust 5/8 with Tabac. Was originally just going to shave my cheeks, but ended up shaving neck and chin also. Went well, with no cuts. My only problem was stretching the skin. Found it hard to do with soap on my face. I ended up pretty much not stretching at all. Help is welcome for skin stretching.
Thanks

Well done and nice set up. The first shave is the hardest. It just keeps getting better from there.

If you dry a little patch of your face with a hand towel you will be able to grip it better. After a while you will remove the lather more completely with the razor and you won’t need it.

In addition to the Alum rub advice, I also pull my skin from the area which is not lathered.

Eg: For the cheeks and jaw line, I pull up and strech from the cheek bones area and also by "making faces".

Making Faces is a great way to strech the skin for areas like chin, upper lip, lower neck, under the jaw line.

This works for me, maybe it'll be helpful for you as well.

Also, good luck with the straight razor shaves, it'll be worth all the preparation and troubles.

Don't do it now, but later when you get very comfortable, you can do stropping stroke to clear away lather.

It's very convenient when you learn how to do this.

I had the same issue with slickness and skin stretching. I'll wipe a slick area with a towel real quick if need be. I've seen videos of some people wrapping a small towel around their finger to help out as well. And don't be afraid to make funny faces to help stretch the skin.

Don't do it now, but later when you get very comfortable, you can do stropping stroke to clear away lather.

It's very convenient when you learn how to do this.
I know it's YMMV, but I just don't like the looks of that lather... seems overly airy to me.

And the shave is way too slow, especially on the guy's cheeks. He could've shaved it in a single stroke, as this young fellow hardly has any whiskers on his cheeks... instead it takes ages, the lather dries out and becomes too thin... not impressed at all.

I know it's YMMV, but I just don't like the looks of that lather... seems overly airy to me.

And the shave is way too slow, especially on the guy's cheeks. the lather dries out and becomes too thin... not impressed at all.

This could be an unpopular opinion, but I agree with you.
I had similar thoughts, the lather really looks foamy.

I dismissed the doubts on the basis that I'm new, I haven't had a Professional shave and maybe it's the way Professional barbers shave.

Also, OP (of video) highlighted a technique for managing the lather while using straight razor, nothing wrong with that.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I had the same issue with slickness and skin stretching. I'll wipe a slick area with a towel real quick if need be. I've seen videos of some people wrapping a small towel around their finger to help out as well. And don't be afraid to make funny faces to help stretch the skin.
A small facecloth works for me.....gription.

This could be an unpopular opinion, but I agree with you.
I had similar thoughts, the lather really looks foamy.

I dismissed the doubts on the basis that I'm new, I haven't had a Professional shave and maybe it's the way Professional barbers shave.

Also, OP (of video) highlighted a technique for managing the lather while using straight razor, nothing wrong with that.
Well FWIW, not all professional barbers shave the same way.

Here's a rather long video to demonstrate it, but at around 21 min., the master-barber explains what he had learned from his father (who I presume was also a barber) about the importance of "swiping stroke". He goes on to explain why it is not advisable to shave with those inch-long series of repetitive short strokes, but instead swipe across with speed and agility, confidently removing stubble.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I had my first SR shave today. Used a new Aust 5/8 with Tabac. Was originally just going to shave my cheeks, but ended up shaving neck and chin also. Went well, with no cuts. My only problem was stretching the skin. Found it hard to do with soap on my face. I ended up pretty much not stretching at all. Help is welcome for skin stretching.
Thanks
Take a washcloth and wrap it tightly over your first two fingers. That will give you some traction. Alum works but this works a little better. YMMV.

Well FWIW, not all professional barbers shave the same way.

Here's a rather long video to demonstrate it, but at around 21 min., the master-barber explains what he had learned from his father (who I presume was also a barber) about the importance of "swiping stroke". He goes on to explain why it is not advisable to shave with those inch-long series of repetitive short strokes, but instead swipe across with speed and agility, confidently removing stubble.

Thank you for bringing up this video, it was a great video, and the Barber's strokes were very 'confident'

I've watched videos from this channel, and it was helpful especially in my very initial stages of straight razor shaving.

I don't understand Italian, but I can understand almost all that he was trying to explain.

Great video, @DaveHStone! I had to use the auto translate subtitles, but the barber also seems to say that the direction the hair grows in is more consistent in younger than older men, and that he needs to closely look at the customer's beard to understand the direction the hair grows in.

Can anyone comment on why there are so many Italian barber shave videos but so little discussion about straight razors made in Italy?

You started with some decent equipment there, so you should be good to go for a while with your Aust + Tabac.
Route will come, your focus now is probably more on avoiding cuts then on proper stretching, but that will change once your get some more shaves under your belt. Stretching is one of the factors that can change a mediocre shave in a good shave (and vv). I clean the path by shaving the lather 'away' in the beginning of the pass just enough to be able to grip the skin, and then finish the rest of the pass.

Thank you for bringing up this video, it was a great video, and the Barber's strokes were very 'confident'

I've watched videos from this channel, and it was helpful especially in my very initial stages of straight razor shaving.

I don't understand Italian, but I can understand almost all that he was trying to explain.
You're most welcome.

I don't speak Italian either, but I can understand bits and pieces.

Top Bottom