What's new

First SR shave

Shave #219 (331 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR Game Changer .68, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Tabac soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and BB Pinaud Clubman Fresh AS to finish!

Surprise! I’m already up and at work!

I’m quite the mix of old school and new today! Old school drugstore shave while sporting my SW: Rogue One K2SO shirt. Hip or strange? You decide!

Got that shave in with the GC sooner than expected. Almost forgot I was supposed to open at work. I was pretty proud of my choice to prep my GC for use last night, because boy was I bleary eyed this morning! Nice shave with the Tabac and GC though. Thankfully I don’t mind Tabac’s scent too much, because the lather is way too good!

So obviously an early day at work, which is nice for a change, as it’ll give me all of what’s left of the day with the family. Not much going on otherwise that I know of. Spent most of the day yesterday channeling my inner @Dave in KY and power washing the heck out of stuff, probably more of the same today as the neighborhood starts to wake up. I also get the fun job of serving some of our spunky seniors group that meets Wednesday mornings for fellowship; they are a fun bunch!

Have a great Wednesday all!

Shave #220 (331 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Gillette NEW LC, Astra SP blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, DRH Sandalwood soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Pinaud SR AS to finish!

A bit sore this morning. I guess it takes a while for all those micro vibrations from the pressure washer to set their claws into your muscle...

Well, with yesterday’s awesome shave mail, I just had to put both razors to use today! I was pleasantly surprised and not disappointed! Doing my research on the NEW before requesting a trade, there’s a lot of back and forth about how some folks feel on its aggression level. I’m please to say, with proper angle, this NEW LC is actually decently mild-mid aggressive and quite smooth. This will definitely see more use than the Piccolo! Of course...my GC OC is out for delivery today, so...there may be den in-fighting. The Schick performed excellently for the clean up pass and I'm glad. I was a bit worried upon receiving it; it didn’t come with a blade loaded and when I did get one in, the adjustable safety bar exposure looked off. In comparison with John’s I was able to note that his actually does the same thing, just the opposite side - one end of the bar gives slightly more exposure than the other. Must be something to do with how Schick made the spring assembly. All seems well though overall. The razors cleaned up fairly well and the shave was great!

Early closings today and tomorrow at work, but tomorrow at least is going to be a bit of a rush to get things done on time, with a couple large events going on. Might do a little more pressure washing this afternoon. I’ve been taking care of some of the older sections of the campus that are mostly red brick and concrete that have had a bunch of dirt and algae build up over the years...it’s looking really nice!

On one final note...today is the 16th Anniversary for the missus and me! A special dinner or something may be in order!

Happy Friday all!

Last edited:
Shave #221 (331 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR GC OC .84, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Catie’s Bubbles Un Jour Gris soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Skin Bracer AS (modern) to finish!

Shave with the newly arrived RR GC OC .84 this morning!

These are all first impressions mind you, I’ve inky shaved with this and the NEW once, and I did not go ATG with the NEW.

Going into this shave I had two comparisons in mind - the NEW is shaved with yesterday and my go-to pinch hitter, the RR GC .68 SB. Right off the bat, there is a fair amount of blade feel...not Piccolo status, but definitely felt like more than the NEW. Still, it pulled off a good amount of smoothness, so that the shave felt and had similar results to the NEW. With practice, both could be daily drivers. In regards to the .68 GC, there is no contest that the .68 would be the preferred daily driver, though the .84 OC is a number of steps more efficient. There is no doubt that all 3 are great razors though! All deliver and do it well!

Off to work in a few. Have to get things prepped for services tomorrow. After work I’m joining my family who will be at a BBQ at a friend’s house with our church small group. Thankfully it’s supposed to stick to he mid 80s today! Should be a good time!

Happy Saturday all!

Shave #222 (331 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Gillette NEW LC, Astra SP blade, Sorrentino 1st Anniversary TSC badger brush, SV 70th soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, SV 70th AS, and Chatillion Lux Lavande Poivre to finish!

Yew have! I was a bundle of soreness and stiffness waking up. Nothing a nice warm shower n shave couldn’t fix...at least temporarily!

Wanted a nice light and refreshing scent for the day, so 70th got the call! Did a full shave with the NEW...this might be fairly similar to what a .68 GC would feel like as an OC, almost. The NEW is definitely more mild than the .84 GC OC in general, the ATG I still felt like I had to tread carefully though. On a side note though, I am back to having trouble cleaning up the triangle area under the jaw and the curve of the chin. It’s been taking a lot of cleanup strokes to get it smooth. Thankfully I’ve got plenty of skin conditioners to help the aftermath, so there’s no visible signs.

Services this morning, possibly another BBQ to go to later, otherwise I ain’t doing a darn thing today...lol.

Happy Sunday all!

Shave #223 (331 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR Game Changer .84 OC, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, SC Commitment soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, an Proraso Red AS to finish!

Video is up on the Tube- GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #224 (332 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC DX folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Pinaud Vanilla AS to finish!

Back to some open blade shaves for a while!

Not a bad shave today, a tad rough though. Could be the Pro blade. The Schick made all things better though with an easy cleanup.

One sad note...my Cella is starting to lose its scent. The last few times I’ve used it, once lathered, it’s started smelling more generic. Performance is still the same though, so can’t complain too much!

Still a bit tired and sore from Saturday’s shift. Back at it today though for work. Hopefully our last short staffed week until the holidays. Should be a good day today; only a few meetings going in and this week is our church’s week for hosting Family Promise. It’s a program to help temporarily homeless families to transition to their next home. The families are contributing members of society, working jobs and all that, just for whatever reason they’ve lost housing for a short period. Churches like ours are put on a rotation throughout the year to help house and feed them for a week at a time.

Have a great Tuesday all!

Shave #225 (332 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, LNHC Coconut Oud soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and RE The Stallion AS to finish!

Been up for a while already, had to open at work.

Woke up bleary eyed and fuzzy brained to the alarm, but non the worse for the wear. Freshened up and performed facial correction for the day. Nice shave overall, the Schick is indeed a mindless shaver. Started on setting 5 for the first passes, then dialed it down to 3 for the ATG and cleanup. Shave excellence!

Easy day today. Going to be hot again. Probably going to power wash some more older sections of the campus. Then it’ll be home at 3:30 to spend the rest of the day with the family!

Shave #226 (332 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Gillette NEW LC, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, JoHS Turkish Bath soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Pitralon Classic AS to finish!

Yep, up and off to work again already!

Simple yet stellar shave with the setup this morning after a nice cleansing shower. Man, power washing can be dirty business...especially if you aren’t watching your angles!

More of the same today as far as work goes. Hot n keeping occupied.

Had a great afternoon and evening after work hanging with the family. Looking forward to the same today!

Have a great Thursday all!

Shave #227 (332 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR .84 GC OC, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, SS Citrus & Bay soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Early closing today and tomorrow, woohoo!

Much smoother shave with the GC OC today, as much a function of the blade smoothing our a bit as me continuing to get used to the razor. The heft really helps as long as you keep a light touch!

Nice family night yesterday. We watched Mary Poppins Returns for the first time. Fun, with some of the magic of the original. I don’t think it was better if I were to be asked though. The missus and I also finally finished up through the last available episode of Stranger Things. Wow what a ending for the season! Without giving away too much, that could have very much been the end of the series, but I’m glad it won’t be! Excited to see where they take it next...it just sucks it takes so long between seasons!

Happy Friday all!

Shave #228 (332 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck Med SE OC, Personna HS blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL 50 SoV soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Stirling Black Pepper & Lime AS to finish!

About to head out to work for the day. Decent shower n shave beforehand though!

So, figured I’d give the Weck SE another go. The first time use was a novelty and I think I only did 2 safe passes with it. This go around I braved the third pass as well. It’s a really cool razor, but it just seems to be not for me or my facial contours. The length actually made me miss some spots and I got some micro cuts from the ATG, which was definitely a little rough. Cleaned up a little with the Schick Adj and called it good. Finished off with Stirling Black Pepper & Lime AS...mmm-mmm-MMMMMMM! That is a fun smell!

Nothing in the books today really. A small wedding going and a prayer meeting going on during the shift. Prepping the campus for services. Mostly looking forward to getting back home for my weekend!

Happy Saturday all!

Shave #229 (332 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: iKon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade, Sorrentino 1st Anniversary TSC badger brush, CBL Barbershop soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, CC Venture AS, and Zaharoff frag to finish!

Looked back on the week and dang it, haven’t used an open blade but once this week. Not necessarily how I’d hoped shaves would go this week, but I guess I just wasn’t feeling it.

Definitely was not feeling the open blade today; it’s early, I’m tired and my back hurts, so I did the next best thing...El Jefe!

Good shave and I’m ready for services!

Sadly, yard work on the plate later today, but will be going to a friend’s house for a BBQ this evening.

Other good news is that we’ll be getting one of our fence lines replaced within the next couple of weeks. This side is particularly old, rickety, and warped all sorts of ways. Amazingly it’s held pretty solid though through some big wind storms (for CA) when a lot of other, newer, better looking ones have blown over. Could I have done it myself? Maybe, as non-handy as I am, but why take the chance of me screwing it up?
upload_2019-8-18_7-24-18.gif

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Yesterday’s shave is up on the Tube- GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Today’s:

Shave #231 (333 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC DX folding, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce brush, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and BB Brut Fresh AS to finish!

Le sigh...it’s Tuesday, therefore back to work today.

Nice sleep in morning, then shower n shave for the day! Going to try and focus on open blades this week in prep for the pass around. Decent shave today with the DX, no blood loss. Cleaned up with the Schick. Felt like a Brut day, so I glugged it on!

Double sadness, summer isn’t quite done with CA yet. We’re supposed to be back up to the high 90s and 100 by the weekend. Can’t wait for cooler weather!

Happy Tuesday all!

Shave #232 (334 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC DX folding, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce brush, CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Stirling Vanilla & Sandalwood AS to finish!

Heading off to work shortly. Early day, hot weather, and lots of power washing to get done!

Nice shave today, only a couple follicle nicks. Purposefully loaded a bit heavy on the CBL ROS for a nice, silky lather. Put some stud on the muffin with Stirling Vanilla & Sandalwood AS. Excellence!

I’ve started applying to some, ahem, out of state ministry positions. They’re literally spread out all over the country. Could be big changes coming within the next year. We’ll see!

Happy Wednesday all!

Shave #233 (334 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR GG .84 OC, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce brush, JoHS Turkish Bath soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, Mandom AS, and MK Cityscape frag to finish!

Nice shave today with just the OC, only one little nick that closes up quickly.

Tons of power washing was accomplished yesterday; even with that though (at least 7 full shifts of washing), I’ve probably only done about half the campus walkways and 25% of the building walls. Mind blowing! Sadly I may not get to the rest of it as the weeks become increasingly more busy up to the holiday season and daylight hours during shifts become increasingly limited.

Into the 90s today and tomorrow, 100s for the weekend...ew!

Shave #234 (334 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL 50 SoV soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Paul Sebastian AS to finish!

Busy day today coming at work. I don’t know about you guys, but I try to use stronger scents on days I’m really going to be working hard. Usually it works to help a bit with BO. This PS AS is definitely one of those; cheaper but stronk.

Brought back out the SS today. Used the Feather Pro I popped out of the DX. This time it (the SS) felt smoother than the DX which had started feeling rough after a few shaves...so idk now, I’m all confuzzled in which might be better, if one is.

Anyway. Happy Friday all! I’m looking forward to getting done with this weekend and it’s hottness.

Shave #235 (336 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Old Spice AS to finish!

It’s Saturday gents...git er dun!

Three smooth passes and went for a no-cleanup shave since I’ve got no one to impress today.

Should be an easy shift...though low 100s in temp. At least I get off early!

Happy Saturday all!

Shave #236 (336 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: iKon El Jefe, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, Sorrentino TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, SV 70th soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, 70th AS, and Chatillion Lux Lavande Poivre frag to finish!

Most excellent Sunday shave this morning!

Gave myself a hair trim last night, cleaned up this morning fully with a high class shower n shave. Might be a killer hot day, but I’ll be sweating it out GQ style at least!

Off to services in a minute. This morning one of our missions teams that went to Haiti is giving a review of their time spent and then there’s all the normal Sunday morning stuff of course!

The work for one of our fence sides started yesterday and finished up today, so we have to rush back after church to let them in. Otherwise it’s a chill day I hope!

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #237 (337 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and CC Venture AS to finish!

Antics are up in the Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #239 (337 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR .84 GC OC, Astra SP blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, SS Citrus & Bay soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Arrr matey! ‘‘Twas a excellent shave this morning!

292C27C0-736E-4C2C-BAEC-78E2452C0B4B.gif

This GC OC keeps getting more comfortable little by little! 2 passes OC and 1 pass with cleanup Schick...and I’m golden! Loving the Bay Rum mojo going on today.

Should stick around the mid 90s the rest of the week. Tonight our church’s regular Wednesday night bible study programs are back for all ages. It’s nice to have the campus full of people again after summer vacations!

Shave #240 (338 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, JoHS Turkish Bath soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, Speick AS, and Master Jade AS to finish!

Decent shave this morning. @Dave in KY must had sent his blade ju-ju on me because the blades were a little rough. Had to pull out the full red alert post shave routine. Still a little tender, but it should all calm soon.

Kids were off to their first day back at school, so the house is eerily quiet. Just me n the dogs hanging out.

Headed in to work a tad early. Also going to get a nice 3 day weekend (Sun-Tues) due to the holiday; it’s no Sat-Mon, but I’ll take it!

Top Bottom