What's new

First SR shave

Shave #204 (327 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS shavette, Feather blade, Schick M Adjustable, Schick blade, RR Big Bruce brush, Proraso Red soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, Osage Rub, and Proraso Red AS to finish!

Nice cooling sandalwood shave today...the scents don’t really mix that well, but it sure feels nice!

Had to do the deed and cut myself on purpose to decapitate a couple pimples that finally broke skin this morning. I’ve learned to become more strategic about those, otherwise if you just do your normal passes, those areas get jacked up pretty good. So what I do is avoid the area until my final pass, then just a couple ATG strokes with my sharper razor takes care of it, usually pretty cleanly too. Darn puberty
upload_2019-7-25_11-34-49.gif
upload_2019-7-25_11-34-49.gif

Off to work soon! At some point this afternoon I have that sit down with the Jr High search team head. Still was vague about what it will be about...hoping for the best!

Have a great Thursday all!

Shave #205 (328 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS shavette, Feather blade, Schick M Adjustable, Schick blade, RR Big Bruce brush, SS Citrus & Bay soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Really nice shave today and I get to go in early!

Finally finished rewatching Stranger Things season 2 last night, so the missus is all caught up and we can move on to the new season...so exciting!

Great shave this morning. Between the Feather, Weck, GC, and this Schick, I am getting some bangin shaves!

Yesterday finished up OK, but it was a bit of a mess before that. Lots of attitude issues with the kids this last week, having to deal with them complaining and being at each others throats half the day, every day...ugh. I never grew up with siblings, but I guess it’s all normal?

Then I finally had my meeting yesterday with the Jr High search team lead. I ended up not being one of the final candidates under consideration. Ultimately there was a candidate they felt was a little better fitting for what they wished to have and also they felt that, for my personal goals of being a pastor (which they fully are on board with) they felt this would be a misstep for me and distract me from that. To some extent I get it, but to another extent, it (with some of the other reasons and comments made) was some silly reasoning, but that is that. I know many of the people on the search team and know that they were not trying to write me off in any way. Ultimately I know there’s a bigger purpose to not being able to move further in the process, I just have to wait and see what it is. I think that after this week’s vacation though, my career/ministry search appetite is whetted, and it’s time to make some kind of forward movement, even if it ends up drawing us away from this particular community we’ve come to love. That’s just the nature of the beast...you go where you’re needed, not necessarily where you’d like to be.

Lastly...I had to rush around and fix a big snafu on my part last night. With all the focus on my vacation week coming up, I forgot that I was supposed to request tomorrow off for my wife’s family’s reunion! Oops! Thankfully we have adequate staffing at the moment though and with a little schedule switcheroo magic, I was able to correct my oversight. So Friday is my actual Friday for once...amazing!

Thanks for reading along if you made it this far!

Happy Friday all!

Shave #206 (329 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS shavette, Feather blade, Schick M Adjustable, Schick blade, Sorrentino TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, CBL Oud Minerale soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, Speick AS, and Creed Aventus Cologne to finish!

Just quick updates for the next week. We’re already off on our grand adventure and just arrived at my wife’s family’s reunion.

Cleaned up, shaved, and finished packing up for the trip this morning. Last go with the Feather and Schick for the week. Excellent results!

My travel kit was packed and consisted of: Gillette Slim, Astra SP, Yaqi Segrada Familia synth brush, JoHS Turkish Bath, a fresh batch of my witch hazel/aloe blend, and my Fine AB AS/EdT set to close things off. It’s going to be a good week of shaves!

Going to spend most of the reunion trying not to get roasted in my skin in this 105 degree weather! Have a great Saturday all!

Shave #207 (329 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Gillette Slim, Astra SP blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, JoHS Turkish Bath (Barbershop) soap, generic witch hazel/aloe blend, Fine AB AS, and Fine AB EdT to finish!

Spent the night at my parents house and had a nice, lazy Sunday morning. Wife’s family reunion went well...a ton of the family made it...well over 50 people just from my wife’s dad’s side. Hot as all heck, but everyone had a good time and the food was great!

Nice first travel shave this morning. Headed out to the church family camp this afternoon!

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #209 (329 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Gillette Slim, Astra SP blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, JoHS Turkish Bath (Barbershop) soap, generic witch hazel/aloe blend, Fine AB AS, and Fine AB EdT to finish!

Up at 6:30 this morning...on vacation, I know! Such is the shaving life at camp if you want bathroom time before the mad rush. It actually is pretty stimulating though!

Last night was our introductory evening with program/week overview and a dinner of bacon wrapped pork, garlic herb breadsticks, salad, Mac n cheese, and Carmel fudge brownies with graham crusted bottoms for dessert!

This morning our program kicks off! Going to make the most of the day since the missus has to fly out tomorrow afternoon and is gone through Friday evening to Dallas for Mark Kay.

Have a great Monday all!

Shave #210 (329 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Second shave of the week...still going strong! The water here is a bit harder at home, so I’ve lost some residual slickness in the shave; I’ve managed to keep from any damage so far though. Feeling pressed for time hasn’t helped either, but I do try to get up very early depending on what I need to do, before it seems like most others begin stirring (today was 6:00 since I had to shower too). My witch hazel/aloe blend is working like a champ and has really helped with any roughness from the shave, keeping my facial skin happy and moisturized.

Great day yesterday going out for some fun after lunch; we did a couple of our normal trips to specific spots a bit early since the missus flys out this afternoon and would otherwise miss it. In fact, her absence is probably going to be the biggest bummer of the next few days, though she gets back Friday night, in time for the last half day of camp Saturday. Kids are having a blast though and we try to at least all sit together at meal times...otherwise they are off running through the camp with friends most of the day.

So far, so good...even with waking up early!

Happy Tuesday all!

Had to do the deed and cut myself on purpose to decapitate a couple pimples that finally broke skin this morning. I’ve learned to become more strategic about those...

Here is another strategy for you. Use alum more. A lot more, but leave at least four hours before your shave lest it messes up your lather. I find alum applied repeatedly just destroys pimples and other blemishes.

Last edited:
Yesterday finished up OK, but it was a bit of a mess before that. Lots of attitude issues with the kids this last week, having to deal with them complaining and being at each others throats half the day, every day...ugh. I never grew up with siblings, but I guess it’s all normal?

Ah you know that the strop has other uses? ;) All I got as a kid was the kettle cord, which I think was worse!

Here is another strategy for you. Use alum more. A lot more, but leave at least four hours before your shave lest it messes up your lather. I find alum applied repeatedly just destroys pimples and other blemishes.

Good tip. I’ve tried it a couple of times with varying success. It seems to only work occasionally for pimples. Thankfully, when I can resist felling up my face post shave, I don’t get too many!

Ah you know that the strop has other uses? ;) All I got as a kid was the kettle cord, which I think was worse!

Haha! My bane was a wooden spoon. :001_tongu

Shave #211 (329 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Despite the harder water and rush for bathroom space/time, I have not had a bad shave yet, and not had less than BBS yet (knock on wood)!

Yesterday was a fun day...well a mixed emotions day somewhat too. I drove the missus to the airport in the afternoon, that was probably the biggest bummer to be had this whole trip. She almost took the loss didn’t go, but I encouraged her to go have some fun and get her due recognition. Thankfully she arrived safely last night after some airline scrambles; she almost had an indefinite lay over in Arizona due to some heavy storming, but after an hour’s delay was back on track.

The rest of the day was mostly just hanging out at camp, since that’s what the kids wanted to do. After dinner activities were very fun and included “Disco” Bingo in which my youngest son won the first round and I won a subsequent round as well. They brought in a shaved ice truck for everyone to enjoy a treat. Later that night, after kids were off to bed, a big group of my buddies had their annual camp “Donate your money to the couple of guys that play Hold Em really well” poker night...at least that’s what it should be called, lol! $20 buy in got me a couple hours of enjoyment at least and I had some pretty good hands here n there, but as most often happens, the experienced players were the ones to take the night!

Such is life!

Have a great Wednesday all!

Good tip. I’ve tried it a couple of times with varying success. It seems to only work occasionally for pimples. Thankfully, when I can resist felling up my face post shave, I don’t get too many!

Then you might look into leaky gut. Whenever I get difficult blemishes, I do a salt water flush. It isn't fun, but it works.

Then you might look into leaky gut. Whenever I get difficult blemishes, I do a salt water flush. It isn't fun, but it works.
I’ve actually heard of it before! My oldest son had to deal with that because of some major food/bodily allergies. I don’t think it’s that (though I do understand that most people are affected by it and may not even know it), it’s just my oily skin patches acting up.

Shave #212 (329 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Great day yesterday! Pool time, volleyball time...then dad alone time!

Still keeping up with the most excellent travel shaves! This has been a great kit.

I’m a little sunburned after all the outdoor activities yesterday...didn’t even know until later in the evening, the weather has just been so cool and great!

Last night (what is normally date night for the camp parents) I grabbed some local Chinese and went to see the new Spider-Man! What a fun and fantastic film! The certain plot twist half way through was definitely unexpected and a curious choice...it’s a great start though for the new Marvel era!

1 more day and a half until the missus gets home...not that I’m counting...

Have a great Thursday all!

Shave #213 (329 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Another great shave, another great day!

This waking up early is starting to take its toll a bit. It does partially feel really great for a while though! By late morning, there is a little drag that camp coffee just can’t get me over...the rest of the day though, I’ve felt pretty good!

Yesterday was Boardwalk day, so after lunch most families headed out there. The kids weren’t interested in the rides, so they spent some time in the arcade area, won a few prizes, and then we walked through some shops. There was some long moments of shopping stress, let me tell you! The kids are still learning decision making skills on how to not just buy the first fun thing you see, don’t just grab something to buy because times up at a certain shop and you can’t leave with something, etc. I survived though and they said they had fun, so I guess that’s what counts!

Later in the evening was Jr High family games, where the various families were grouped into competing teams and we did various challenges...like rolling a kid to the flag pole on a mattress on our rolling bodies, making a hand held wood bridge for our kids to cross to a goal, etc. all fun, goofy stuff. Our team (team Spider-Man by happenstance) won of course! After that was family movie night - Incredibles 2!

Last full day of camp today! Have a great Friday all!

Missus got back, slightly delayed, but none the worse for the wear. Busy morning/afternoon as we did breakfast, a closing service, packed up in record time and got out of “Dodge”.

Shave #214 of the year was had. We’re back home now and basting in the valley heat...well I guess we’re technically NorCal, but it still no Santa Cruz weather around here!

I’m so beat! Rest of the day is relaxing and doing a couple things to start the catch up from dereliction of duties. I’m eyeing the bourbon already.

Hope Saturday has been treating you well!

Shave #215 (329 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Schick Adjustable, Supply blade, Sorrentino TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, CBL Barbershop soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, Lucky Tiger AS, and Terre d’Hermes frag to finish!

Probably the best night’s sleep I’ve gotten all week, even if it was about the same amount of time.

Great cleanup this morning with a shower n shave...at home! It’s nice to be back in the home den!

Revisited the Schick Adj and skated my way to BBS; pretty sure there was a centuple axel in there somewhere. I’ve got about 2-3 uses of my Td’H sample left sadly, but for today, I’m highly enjoying it!

Yesterday was spent lazing about after putting some stuff away from the trip. Today should be more of the same (mostly - gotta do some laundry and watering) after services. We are going to a friend’s house for dinner later.

Tomorrow, to make up for lack of a video last week, will be a special shave with a never before used razor...high chance of blood loss! Stay tuned!

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #216 (330 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC DX shavette, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Proraso Green soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Myrsol K AS to finish!

First time use of a folding Feather DX!

Video is up on the Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #216 (330 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck Medical SE OC, Personna HS blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, Lucky Tiger AS, and Old Spice AS (modern) to finish!

Two videos in one week? Whaaaat?! It’s true! First time use of the Med Weck SE OC!

Check out the Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log!

It was brought to my attention that somehow the post shave part of the video got chopped off. My apologies, I’ll correct it and re-upload once I’m home from work! Thank you for your patience!

Shave #218 (331 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC DX folding, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, SS Citrus & Bay soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Very nice, smooth shave combo today! Bay rum FTW! I keep picking up this Schick for my last pass and clean up...my GC has been languishing! Gotta get that back out soon! Plus I’ve got 3 incoming razors that should be here by week’s end! Fun fun!

Yesterday’s video should be fixed now.

Off to an early day at work soon. It’s going to be a warm one, but it might be a good time for a power washing day since nothings going on, not sure yet. My team is minimally staffed for the next two weeks as a couple folks are on vacation. Should prove interesting...

Have a great Wednesday all!

Top Bottom