What's new

First SR shave

Unless you have a pressing need to hone something why not stick with the pasted balsa you currently have? It's cheap
and it'll maintain your edges fine.

Shavettes may well be a route you follow, but i can promise you that stones are expensive and i don't even have jnats! Ask HRH what i spent on razor sharpening gear and you'll get a look that freezes time.

Were i to shave every day, i'd look like my avi. Pink face, miss 4 whiskers and can't stop faceturbating. But i shave at night when i have time to devote to it.

T

Chris, we are at about the same number of shaves. I, too, am undecided. But I am going to press on through at least 100 shaves before I make a decision.

It sounds like you are doing pretty well.

Yep, definitely pressing on! I think you may well pass me here pretty soon. I believe I read you’ve been shaving almost daily, yes?

I have been enjoying it for now yes!

Unless you have a pressing need to hone something why not stick with the pasted balsa you currently have? It's cheap
and it'll maintain your edges fine.

Shavettes may well be a route you follow, but i can promise you that stones are expensive and i don't even have jnats! Ask HRH what i spent on razor sharpening gear and you'll get a look that freezes time.

Were i to shave every day, i'd look like my avi. Pink face, miss 4 whiskers and can't stop faceturbating. But i shave at night when i have time to devote to it.

T

Yes...stones, both natural and synthetic...the investment thought does not excite me one iota.

The balsa did ok the first use, I will continue it for sure. I think though that it has a slight warp. Can’t tell and it’s alreay pasted up.

I'm now at the 100 shave point, and have to say I'm a total convert. Can't imagine using anything else than a straight razor. I've got a couple of razors, one coticule, and a great strop, and that works for me, so for other than shaving soap, nothing left to buy. Obviously, some guys will like more of everything, and that's great too.

I'm now at the 100 shave point, and have to say I'm a total convert. Can't imagine using anything else than a straight razor. I've got a couple of razors, one coticule, and a great strop, and that works for me, so for other than shaving soap, nothing left to buy. Obviously, some guys will like more of everything, and that's great too.

Wonderful! I do get some pretty mild passes occasionally out of the SR. Now, how much those passes actually accomplish is questionable, lol! It definitely handles my every other day growth well, but when I do a next day shave, it does next to nothing.

Still practicing though!

Shave #30:

Good day today.

Used Proraso Red due to scent testing AS still. Normally Sunday’s are my favored AOS Sandalwood day, but for now the scent might interfere with the testing. I have a sneaking suspicion though that the scent will pair well with a sandalwood AS.

Only a 2 pass shave this time, a XTG SR and a ATG DE cleanup. SR pass very smooth!

Nice shaver.

Yes, I'm a daily shaver and have been for decades. As of now, I'm incorporating the straight and/or a shavette into 6 shaves a week. Sunday is the only day I just use a DE.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
For those waiting to buy or waiting for delivery of diamond paste or searching for suitable balsa but who have the green and red pasted balsa from Larry's Poor Man Strop Kit, you can make it work fairly well. Take an old tshirt and rub the balsa down well to remove excess abrasive, starting with the red. It is okay to contaminate the coarser green with the finer red paste, but not vice versa. Then wash your hands thorougly and palm rub the balsa, starting again with the red. Now strop on the green balsa holding it loosely in hand, very light pressure, about 200 laps. Yes, you read that correctly. Wipe the razor carefully, and go a couple hundred on the red. For best results, hold the balsa edge up, so you can contact the balsa with less than the full weight of the razor. So the recipe here is impossibly light pressure on very small amounts of abrasive that is embedded up to its neck in the balsa, and an unseemly lap count. This will approach the edge you get from a well executed diamond progression. It may take more laps on the green, depending on how far the edge has deteriorated. For daily maintenance, try 100 on the red, only, after shaving. Maybe 20 on the green and 100 on the red if it isn't keeping up. If the razor will not cleanly treetop arm hair when stroked 1/4" above the skin, you aren't getting there and you need to increase the lap count or else revisit your finisher and start with a fresh edge. I have experimented with FeOx and CrOx using this method, with good results, I still overwhelmingly prefer the diamond because it works so much faster and more consistently. Also without lapping the balsa it is extremely important to swap ends every 20 laps or so, and vary the heel leading angle. You want to randomize the path of the razor a bit or you will have dead spots in the edge from weak contact. Remember, no excess abrasive rolling around on top of the balsa, extremely light pressure, and lots of laps. That is the recipe for a superb edge from these abrasives.

It seems to be impossible to overuse the red FeOx when properly used. But if you are concerned about micro fin edges, or the shave feels a bit harsh, do this. After the normal routine, do a few pull strokes. Drag the razor sideways off the balsa, taking care not to slice into the balsa. A half dozen on each side, alternating just like regular stropping. Just pull it about 3/4" or so, not full length. It will feel like you aren't really doing anything at all, but you are. If there are any artifacts on the edge, the pull strokes will strip them off. Then give the razor another dozen regular laps to peak the apex again and it should feel very smooth on the face but still quite sharp. The same pull stroke technique works beautifully with diamond, too. For more smoothness and less sharpness, use fewer final laps after the pull strokes. As few as 2 to 4 laps. You can experiment with using more pull strokes, too. Keep in mind that the pull strokes have the potential to round the apex slightly so possibly you could overdo them if you get carried away, but for experimental purposes, you can of course experiment.

For those waiting to buy or waiting for delivery of diamond paste or searching for suitable balsa but who have the green and red pasted balsa from Larry's Poor Man Strop Kit, you can make it work fairly well. Take an old tshirt and rub the balsa down well to remove excess abrasive, starting with the red. It is okay to contaminate the coarser green with the finer red paste, but not vice versa. Then wash your hands thorougly and palm rub the balsa, starting again with the red. Now strop on the green balsa holding it loosely in hand, very light pressure, about 200 laps. Yes, you read that correctly. Wipe the razor carefully, and go a couple hundred on the red. For best results, hold the balsa edge up, so you can contact the balsa with less than the full weight of the razor. So the recipe here is impossibly light pressure on very small amounts of abrasive that is embedded up to its neck in the balsa, and an unseemly lap count. This will approach the edge you get from a well executed diamond progression. It may take more laps on the green, depending on how far the edge has deteriorated. For daily maintenance, try 100 on the red, only, after shaving. Maybe 20 on the green and 100 on the red if it isn't keeping up. If the razor will not cleanly treetop arm hair when stroked 1/4" above the skin, you aren't getting there and you need to increase the lap count or else revisit your finisher and start with a fresh edge. I have experimented with FeOx and CrOx using this method, with good results, I still overwhelmingly prefer the diamond because it works so much faster and more consistently. Also without lapping the balsa it is extremely important to swap ends every 20 laps or so, and vary the heel leading angle. You want to randomize the path of the razor a bit or you will have dead spots in the edge from weak contact. Remember, no excess abrasive rolling around on top of the balsa, extremely light pressure, and lots of laps. That is the recipe for a superb edge from these abrasives.

It seems to be impossible to overuse the red FeOx when properly used. But if you are concerned about micro fin edges, or the shave feels a bit harsh, do this. After the normal routine, do a few pull strokes. Drag the razor sideways off the balsa, taking care not to slice into the balsa. A half dozen on each side, alternating just like regular stropping. Just pull it about 3/4" or so, not full length. It will feel like you aren't really doing anything at all, but you are. If there are any artifacts on the edge, the pull strokes will strip them off. Then give the razor another dozen regular laps to peak the apex again and it should feel very smooth on the face but still quite sharp. The same pull stroke technique works beautifully with diamond, too. For more smoothness and less sharpness, use fewer final laps after the pull strokes. As few as 2 to 4 laps. You can experiment with using more pull strokes, too. Keep in mind that the pull strokes have the potential to round the apex slightly so possibly you could overdo them if you get carried away, but for experimental purposes, you can of course experiment.

Thanks @Slash McCoy! You’re a wealth of honing info! :001_cool:

Shave #31 with the SR:

Today was a DR Harris Sandalwood day!

It was also a bit of an experimentation day, but first - I re-touched up on the balsa strop yesterday (mostly out of boredom, day off you know) using some of the technique listed above. The edge was definitely refreshed this morning, still not the “shave ready” I received but noticably more sharp and yet still very comfortable.

Standard 3 pass day, 2 SR and 1 DE. No trouble, very little irritation. My experiment today though was no alum block...something I’ve enjoyed the last 3 years, pretty much every shave. That was only because it was something I felt I had to do though! I don’t know why. So instead, after my last warm water rinse, I spread the last of my lather over my face and let sit for a minute, rinsed it with cold water, then with my face still damp, spread a very thin layer of regular body lotion over the shaved areas, and let that sit for a minute before blotting my face mostly dry. Then I applied my AS.

The result was a lot less tightening (only a small but from the alcohol based AS) but still a very nice after the shave feeling for my skin.

I love my alum, but I do tend to have skin on the dry side already. I could see skipping it once in a while.

Nice shave. I use balms in the winter. With the switch to straight razor shaving I have been using an alcohol splash some mornings, particularly when I was worried that I might have some irritation, just to help me figure out where the problem areas are, but I haven't really had that much feedback from it.
Even on those days, I follow with a balm.

I'm currently using Stirling balm; it's heavier than some, but goes in pretty well and doesn't leave the face feeling greasy. I really like it. I have the lime scent. My sister bought it for me last year on Father's Day, which was very nice of her. I used a splash all summer long and then started using the Stirling balm when the weather started turning cooler and drier.

Nice shave. I use balms in the winter. With the switch to straight razor shaving I have been using an alcohol splash some mornings, particularly when I was worried that I might have some irritation, just to help me figure out where the problem areas are, but I haven't really had that much feedback from it.
Even on those days, I follow with a balm.

I'm currently using Stirling balm; it's heavier than some, but goes in pretty well and doesn't leave the face feeling greasy. I really like it. I have the lime scent. My sister bought it for me last year on Father's Day, which was very nice of her. I used a splash all summer long and then started using the Stirling balm when the weather started turning cooler and drier.

I have a good mix of balms and splashes, and I usually use lotions daily anyway, so I don’t have to worry too much about my alcohol based AS’ drying me out significantly.

Just figured I’d try no alum, to see. Not a huge difference. Mostly just a lessening of the skin tightening. It helped that my shave went so smoothly!

I think most anyone can shave every day once your technique is perfected. That said, these days I mainly shave with a DE and use a straight maybe once a week just for the fun of it and to keep in practice.

I try to skip a day without shaving when I'm going to use the straight. I don't know it it works better but it's easier to get feedback that way.

You can get a cut down (smaller) natural (Chinese) hone from Whipped Dog as well and it's only about $20. If you don't let your blade get too dull before going to the hones that will keep your blade sharp almost indefinitely.

If i know i've gone a bit harsh on my neck i'll skip the alum to avoid the feedback and use witch hazel instead.

If i think i had a really great, irritation and cut-free, shave then the alum will tell me where i was mistaken!

T

I think most anyone can shave every day once your technique is perfected. That said, these days I mainly shave with a DE and use a straight maybe once a week just for the fun of it and to keep in practice.

I try to skip a day without shaving when I'm going to use the straight. I don't know it it works better but it's easier to get feedback that way.

You can get a cut down (smaller) natural (Chinese) hone from Whipped Dog as well and it's only about $20. If you don't let your blade get too dull before going to the hones that will keep your blade sharp almost indefinitely.

Good thoughts.

Yes I’ve seen Larry’s partial hones, but he says quite honesty, if you can afford a full, get it. So I haven’t bitten yet.

If i know i've gone a bit harsh on my neck i'll skip the alum to avoid the feedback and use witch hazel instead.

If i think i had a really great, irritation and cut-free, shave then the alum will tell me where i was mistaken!

T

Sure does! Love a little fire after the shave sometimes!

Shave #32:

Proraso Green Day!

I find myself quite looking forward to Green day’s...such a great product. Leaves the face feeling ultra fresh and hydrated.

Decent shave today. A few nicks, but nothing the alum didn’t zip up tight within seconds!

Last touch up on the balsa seems to be holding well. It’s not the prettiest thing, but my vintage sure seems to have been well made!

Good thoughts.

Yes I’ve seen Larry’s partial hones, but he says quite honesty, if you can afford a full, get it. So I haven’t bitten yet.

All my other hones, except for the 1 k are smaller, handheld sizes so the cut down partial finisher was just fine for me.

Good thoughts.

Honestly, if you're looking for a finisher on the cheap, just keep an eye on ebay and the BST. Tons of finishers come up and one is sure to suit your price range.

Honestly, if you're looking for a finisher on the cheap, just keep an eye on ebay and the BST. Tons of finishers come up and one is sure to suit your price range.
Always been so leary of the ‘bay. Thanks for the info though!

Shave #33:

Cella at today! Mmm Cella!

Nothing major to report today. Clean shave with only a small nick.

Went back on the alum after the shave as I noticed some pimples popping up. Not sure if it’s just me, but the alum seems to help keep them at bay?

Today is also my Friday...thank goodness. Tiring week. Glad I could luxuriate a little this morning.

Shave #34:

Sunday is the best day, so AOS Sandalwood day!

2 pass SR shave with DE touch ups. Chased the BBS a little too hard today, major burn.

Surprisingly my initial XTG pass with the SR got some hairs as did my following ATG attempt. Usually I don’t get much on a next-day shave until my DE pass. No cuts of nicks fortunately, but my face sang when the alum hit.

Finished up with a mixture of AOS Sandalwood balm and my Captain’s Choice prototype tester (which I’m calling Parlay). Very nice!

Shave #35 in the books:

Today I used RR Santal Royale. Not one I’ve used much since I started SR shaving. It’s got a great, very strong scent, but the lather building can be quite fickle.

Normal routine of 2 SR passes and 1 DE pass. Still getting lots of inconsistencies overall under the chin and one the jawline. The blade felt super sharp today for some reason, still forgiving though thankfully. I had little irritation, though quite a bit of burn when the alum hit.

I wonder what it is that the only day I really get visible irritation is on my next-day Sunday shaves. It has to be because of pressure or something. I definitely have very little stubble to work with on a next-day and it’s very stubborn to clean up.

Still also often getting burn from the alum when used. There have been few times when the alum did not burn. Still a lot to learn in technique on all accounts I guess.

Looking forward to my first adjustable that should be here in the next couple of days, a Fatboy!

Top Bottom