What's new

First SR shave

Shave #262 (341 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Kai Kamisori clone, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL 50 SoV soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Fine Clean Vetiver AS to finish!

Now that’s a proper clone!

Transferred the Feather Pro our of the Feather clone this morning and into the Kai clone. The quality/care of this clone’s make over the Feather clone is very noticeable. It’s innards might still lack a little finesse, but outwardly it’s pretty clean! One side of the sliding clip panel allows for a tad bit of uneven exposure, but I did not feel that it affected the shave and the rest seems like properly tight tolerances and finish.

I chose a soap of above average quality for the first go around - CBL 50 SoV. I’ve never used a kamisori type open blade before, but I can see why some might find it attractive over a folding type when first learning. I pretty much mimicked the same strokes I would use with a folder, just adjusted for the handle type of the kami. Because the hold on the kami makes you want to grip it a bit more “full fisted”, I did have to be careful with pressure. That might be one area a folding type has its advantages, it forces a more delicate finger hold.

As for the shave itself, it simply did what I felt like it should. I completed 2 passes. It didn’t force a steep angle, I did not cut myself (surprising for a first time out), and the shave was fairly smooth. Though the materials are “inferior” I’ll say that I appreciated the slicker finish and rubberized grip of the clone over the machine finish and hard plastic scales of Feather DX folder I tried a few weeks ago.

As it stands, if QC is consistent, this might be a good investment to get into the AC style open blade game! Looking forward to another shave with it tomorrow.

In other things...first weekend of October. That’s the planned date for our Mississippi visit, just the missus and me. We’ll spend a couple of days, meet the elders and pastor, see a Sunday morning, and hopefully get out (just the two of us) for a bit to explore the immediate area...they do have a Chick-fil-A and Taco Bell, so there’s some semblance of home, lol.

Otherwise, today at work, among other things, is the appreciation get together for the church volunteers, likely a couple hundred of them will attend. And I’ve got a teaching to squeeze out between now and next week for the senior’s bible study!

Have a great Thursday all!

Shave #263 (342 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Kai Kamisori clone, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and CC Venture AS to finish!

Another nice, incident-less shave with the Kai clone!

Brought out another favorite CBL soap and went to town. 2 fairly smooth and relatively safe feeling passes with the Kai clone. Final pass and clean up with the Schick. Come Monday’s video, I may be ready to try a little ATG with this clone to give it the full test. You do have to be a little more angle-aware with the Kai clone than the Feather SS, but I might say the comfort level is actually pretty similar. The Feather clone I’ve pretty much cleaned up and put away sadly.

Volunteer appreciation dinner went well yesterday - really great food and for a couple hours folks enjoyed themselves. Today and into the weekend is a little more low key.

We were supposed to have another visit from the electrician today, but ended up cancelling. We’re waiting on a re-fi to go through still and didn’t want the guy hanging on, ready to do work without a solid date. It’s taking a little longer than we’d hoped. So I get a nice, quiet morning at least.

Have a great Friday all!

Shave #264 (343 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Kai Kamisori clone, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, JoHS Turkish Bath soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Skin Bracer AS to finish!

Not much to report on the shave today, just another good performance from all the elements. Only one little nick on the mustache area from a sliver too much pressure.

Still pretty groggy this morning. I’ve been keeping doped up on my regular allergy med and also generic DayQuil gels, fending off some coughs and sniffles. Seems to be going around the last week or two.

In early for the work shift today. Possibly catching the tale end of a staff BBQ at one of the pastor’s homes after, depending on how I feel.

Definitely a little bourbon to be had at home later!

Have a great Saturday all!

Shave #265 (343 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR .68 GC, Astra SP blade, Sorrentino TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, CBL Barbershop soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, Lucky Tiger AS, and Ferragamo Uomo to finish!

Just a quick entry today as I’m already on the church campus.

Woke up early before rousing the family. Got in a nice and quick shower n shave. Not much to say that most of you haven’t already heard. This setup is just full of top class components all around!

Ended up not going to the BBQ after work yesterday. The magic wellness drug that was my DayQuil gels we’re starting to wear off and I was feelin it. So I just went home, freshened up and chilled out till the family came home.

Services this morning, bible study later. Skipping the yard work today so hopefully I can wrap up fighting this cold sooner.

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #266 (344 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Kai AC clone, Feather Pro blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and RR The Stallion AS to finish!

Video is up on the Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #267 (345 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Kai AC clone, Feather Pro blade, RR GC .68, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, CB Un Jour Gris soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Barbasol PR AS to finish!

Just a quick update today, probably the next two days too. Have a lot of writing to finish for Thursday’s bible study.

Just a really nice clean up and shave with the Kai clone/GC razor combo.

I was a little groggy this morning and slept in a little; still trying to shake off, what I hope, is the last desperate cling of this cold.

Fairly average week ahead for work.

Plans moving forward with our MS visit little by little. It’s absorbing a little more time off than I’d imagined and requiring some scheduling gymnastics, but it should all work out.

Have a great Tuesday all!

Shave #268 (346 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Kai AC clone, Feather Pro blade, RR GC .68, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Scheermonnik Delfts Wit soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Old Spice AS to finish!

Early morning today; my normal day to get the kids off to school.

Decided to revisit Delfts Wit, it’s been one of my least used soaps lately. It certainly helped pave the way for shave with great results and definitely has that wonderful smoky berry scent, but I think most folks would consider it a Tier 2 soap. Slickness is OK in-shave, but there is almost no residual, it washes off pretty cleanly.

Used the Kai clone/.68 GC combo again. No contest, no fuss BBS.

The missus and I sharing a cup of coffee at home for date morning. She’s got a meeting and work to run off to and I’ve got to try and wrap up my teaching.

Flights and rental car for MS visit officially paid for yesterday. T-minus 9 days and counting. Crazy!

Have a great Wednesday all!

Shave #269 (346 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR GC .84 OC, Astra SP blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL 50 SoV soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Pinaud Citrus Musk to finish!

It’s show time! Finished my teaching yesterday with time to spare. This morning I get to cough it all up on my crowd of elder congregants!

Shower n shave cleanup. Took no chances with an open blade, but I called up the GC OC for duty. Good shave, good results, and a nice light n fresh scent so I don’t assault folk’s senses.

Y’all have a great Thursday!

Shave #270 (346 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR GC .84 OC, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, LNHC Coconut Oud soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and RR The Stallion AS to finish!

Already been up n at em at work for a little while. The normal opener called in sick yesterday.

Similar hardware to yesterday for the most part, different software. This LNHC has a pronounced donut hole now, but still plenty of shaves left at the moment. Great shave this morning of course, sans bleery eyed operator.

Had a very nice surprise visit from one of my favorite seminary professors yesterday. He was listed as a reference on my resume that was sent to the MS church, but I haven’t actually seen him for well over a year. In fact, I think I haven’t seen him in almost 2, even then it was only briefly, when we first began a biblical commentary project, which is now published. The church I’m flying out to visit next week had called him to check reference, so he made it a point to seek me out personally - he’s old school like that! Anyway, it was a very pleasant reunion.

Later today, post bill funds generating, I may get to go pic out some new suit pieces for the trip. Apparently shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops aren’t a thing in MS...they have this strange desire to dress up and torture themselves by wear blazers, even in summer weather, particularly on Sundays! :001_tt2:

Anyway...back to it! Have a great Friday all!

Shave #271 (347 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Kai clone, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable injector, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Pitralon Classic AS to finish!

Surprise! LNHC got called up today, but not for shaving! Suddenly found myself out of shower wash with no back up. Remembered I had the Cognac & Cuban Cigars soap bar sample from the 1st Anniversary package; seemed the perfect reason to bring it out. Great smelling soap, probably not actually a shower bar, but it worked like a charm...and was probably slick enough that I could have shaved with it too!

Brought back out the Kai kami clone for one last use. Reduction was a little iffy today, but after all was said and done, just a solid shave today! Really need to remember to get this off to Matt on Monday, I’m well past my week! Oops! Have to ship John’s razor horde back off to him too.

Early close today. Not much going on besides set up and cleaning.

Tomorrow is another 5th Sunday, so that means everyone piles into one service, then goes to the gym where a ton of tables and chairs will be set up for a potluck lunch. Usually the church provides at least one main course, but this time the powers that be decided to only do drinks and dessert, a faux social experiment to see who steps up to bring main dishes...should prove interesting!

Got to look at at bunch of difference varieties of coat yesterday. Actually may go for 2...one fashionable but very West Coast, the other more of a nice sport coat. I’m also going to fight the man and resist wearing a tie while I’m there in MS visiting. Living life on the edge!

Have a great Saturday all! Go go gadget football picks!

Shave #272 (347 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Gillette NEW LC, Astra SP blade, Sorrentino 1st Anniversary TSC badger brush, SV 70th soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, SV 70th AS, and CL Lavande Poivre frag to finish!

Yes, I used LNHC ’s Cognac & Cuban Cigars soap block again this morning in the shower...so sue me! It works and smells killer!

First up in the house (usually am Sundays) for a solid Sunday morning shower n shave! Nothing to complain about, just top shelf all around.

We got to wake up a tad later today since there’s only one service. Congregational meeting after to elect the next year’s church officers to replace those rotating out. Then some lunch! Have to do yard work today since we’ll be gone next weekend. Little bit of a long, busy day...but they’ll be good things.

Starting to consider what to take for the trip for shaves, particularly the razor. Not sure if I want to fuss with the injector or play it safe and just take the Trac II setup.

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #273 (348 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade, RR GC .68, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Old Spice AS to finish!

Shave video day! You can see it on the Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #274 (349 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade, RR GC .68, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Proraso Red soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Proraso Red AS to finish!

Up a bit early today, just a bit. Have to go pick up a buddy from a minor hospital procedure in a bit.

Nice shower n shave though! 2 passes Feather, 1 GC w/ cleanup. Getting my borrowed razors back also means I got the Proraso Red back, so that came up to bat today. Followed up with that nice, powered sandalwood matching AS...yum!

Back to work today. Easy two day work week ahead before the trip. Not that I haven’t been yakin’ about it for the last week, but all the home turf details are taken care of finally, so we can go with no worries. We’ve got a lot of support and cheers from friends and family to see where this goes. Thanks again to all of you here as well for your good vibes!

Shave #275 (350 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL Blueberry Muffin soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Up early to get the kids off to school. Then a nice morning coffee date with the missus.

Shave today was great! Just a couple follicle decapitations from a fresh injector blade. CBL Blueberry Muffin is like the old school synthetic Dimetap taste of soaps...love it!

Fairly easy work day. Just Wednesday night programs to tend to.

Have to finish up packing later. Decided I’m only taking the Trac II, so if things do get lost or left, it won’t be missing any of my favorite items. Probably just going to avoid all hassles and see if it can fit in my checked bag. So Trac II on Ichabod handle, Yaqi SF, small bottle of aloe/witch hazel blend (about 1 oz), my clown Puke Tub (probably less than 2 oz of hard soap in there), and some AS samplers. In combo with my normal toiletries, hopefully all will be good. If any of this raises a red flag, you think, do tell.

Have a great Wednesday all!

Shave #276 (351 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, JOHS Turkish Bath soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Skin Bracer AS to finish!

Last shave in the home den for the weekend, went for a classic, simple scented setup. Stuck with the Feather and Schick since I’ll be subjecting myself to the Trac II for 4 days. I almost got rid of the Trac a while back because I thought I’d never use it. Thankful now that I kept it around, even if it is a darn cart.

Middle son stayed home from school today, rough night last night, but seems to be over it now. We’re mostly packed except for our regular use toiletries and whatnot. Have to pack the kids up for their own weekend trip to the grandparents’ and tidy up some things around the house for the dog sitter staying over.

Off to it!

Have a great Thursday all!

I apologize ahead of time, this is going to be a long catch up post!

Shave #277-280 (351 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Trac II cart head on Ichabod handle, Yaqi SF synth brush, Clown Puke tub soap, generic witch hazel/aloe blend, and various frag samples to finish!

Really solid setup during me travels. Not a day with dry skin or without BBS. The Trac II was not ideal but performed quite admirably!

Shave #281 (352 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Fine Platinum AS to finish!

Well, we got back in at about midnight last night, after about 12 hours total of travel - from flights, to picking the kids up, to getting home. I am very relieved that with so many moving parts there were really zero incidents.

This morning was a very refreshing and relieving shower n shave back in the home den.

I apologize to my YouTube constituency, but I am just too beat to put out a video this week, and I’m still processing a lot of the trip.

The trip was a whirlwind after the fact, but in the middle of it, it was about as good as one could hope such a trip could go. Overall it was an absolute fantastic time getting to know complete strangers over the course of 3 days.

The southern hospitality was real! Our hosts were perfectly gracious, our visits with the church elders were fun and informative, the town and country side is gorgeous, the church and it’s membership were highly welcoming! And the fooooood...oh man! I am going to have a hard time keeping the pounds off with such good southern eating!

We did bring back some goodies to help us remember our time!

4F528D7E-4F25-4234-8A0A-56AACAC7F517.jpeg

The vase at the top is pottery made from actual Mississippi mud, the cookbook is from the HGTV show that has pretty much put the small town back on the map, then of course the requisite T-shirts, fridge magnet, a tea towel, and a fun memento for the kids (who stayed in CA).

Over the next few days the missus and I have (and we already have done) much to discuss, as does the church amongst ourselves and each other. Things for us and, as we understand it, for them went very positively. We do all have to continue along very carefully because of the magnitude of what an acceptable arrangement would mean for all involved. So far though, I believe we are all hopeful.

Shave #283 (353 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, Schick M Adjustable, Supply blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL 50 SoV soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Fine Clean Vetiver AS to finish!

A little bit of a rough shave today, a couple weepers on the mustache area but not sure why. I think I’ll do a GC .68 shave for a tomorrow or two. At least I smell good!

Chilling out a little bit at home. I have a non-work related meeting to go to before work a bit later - someone I’ve been checking in with semi regularly as my mentor and accountability partner.

Work should be a fairly easy day. Though the custodial leadership does have to discuss some corrective action against a lackadaisical spirit. I wrote up an agreement, or a gentle warning if you will, for us to look over.

That’s it for now! Have a great Thursday all!

Shave #284 (353 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR GC .68, Astra SP blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, and Old Spice AS to finish!

Nice recovery shave this morning. I think I may just do this the rest of the week, my face was still a bit tender from yesterday.

Got a call from the MS church pastor this morning to just check in. He asked us about how our visit went and if we had encountered any issues or since then had any quandaries arise. I answered honestly that we could see ourselves ministering there. The church’s Session (elder board) meets Monday evening and he imagined our visit would be the major topic. My next conversation with them should be the following Tuesday morning.

A few things going on this weekend at work, but we still get a couple early close days. The latter half of next week is going to be killer - a big conference is scheduled (the Q conference) and a large orchestral concert next Saturday, among other things. It’s going to mean a couple very late nights sadly. To quote another forum member - “It is what it is”!

Have a great Friday all!

Top Bottom