What's new

First SR shave

Shave #149 (300 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (1-dot plate), Supply blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL Morning Blend soap, Thayers Medicated, and Pinaud Vanilla AS to finish!

Well, today I got to identify with the common man and experience a reaction to a soap. Ultra rare for me to have that happen. Moderate burning and some redness of the skin. But there you have it! Interested to test the “it doesn’t happen the next time” theory. It would be a shame to have to pass this one along, I love the scent - just the way I like my morning cup, a nice, creamy smooth coffee, with just the right sweetness.

Off to work in about an hour, not much happening on the schedule, so we get to close up early. Huzzah!

Have a great Wednesday all!

Shave #150 (300 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (1-dot plate), Supply blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, LNHC Amber & Tobacco soap, Thayers Medicated, and Fine Platinum AS to finish!

Really nice clean up and shave today.

Today was my first use of Amber & Tobacco. A very nice, moderately deep scent with a touch of sweetness. Once lathered up, it felt like it was in the same wheelhouse as Stirling Mountain Man, but was much more pleasant and detectable in scent. The tobacco can really be picked out here from the background and the amber makes a nice smooth/sweet upfront note. The soap is fairly soft - with a slightly wet brush, I had enough of a load for 3 passes + after less than 10 seconds. Whips up quickly, with much more volume than her newer line, though maybe slightly lesser on the post shave. Good stuff.

Busy work weekend ahead with some special events, including the two day end tournament of the volleyball league. Should be fun though I hope! Glad it’s a short week.

Have a great Thursday all!

Shave #151 (300 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: GEM Jr, GEM blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL Blueberry Muffin soap, Thayers Medicated, and Ogalalla Bay Rum & Sandalwood AS to finish!

Designated today’s shave as named “Old Man With A Muffin”...you know who you are! Even had a cup of coffee to go with it.

Overall decent shave. Got a little bit off irritation from somewhere, perhaps the blade (this particular one has been in this razor since I got it from KY man). The Blueberry Muffin smells a lot like those Krustez blueberry muffin mixes, right after you’ve mixed the batter and are throwing in the canned berries to fold in. Fun scent!

Got the notification that my Weck finally shipped, supposedly to arrive early next week. Gotta go find a Sally’s!

Busy Friday at work, multiple events going on. Off to it in a few hours! Looking like a scorcher of a week ahead from 60s and 70s in the last week, up to 90s this next.

Have a great Friday all!

Shave #152 (300 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Fatip Piccolo, Shark blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Cella soap, Thayers Medicated, and BB Brut Fresh AS to finish!

Pulled out the Piccolo today and loaded up a Shark that I got from Chad for a first use. It was a little tight here and there when it hit dense growth, but a middling blade over all. I’ll put it in the GC eventually for a little more of a fair assessment.

Off to work soon...well to the church anyway, where my son and his volleyball team will be finishing their tournament. Apparently they lost their first game this morning (they won both last night) so they’ll be playing for 3rd this last match, out of 8 teams. Pretty good standing! Work starts after that...ie - clean up, lol.

Have a great Saturday all!

Shave #153 (300 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Fatip Piccolo, Shark blade, TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, SV 70th soap, Thayers Medicated, SV 70th AS, and CL Lavande Poivre frag to finish!

I woke up feeling achy and unrested, so fresh and clean is the name of the game today!

Continued use of the Piccolo/Shark combo. The shave lasted quite a while yesterday and was a bit smoother today, but still not quite a winning combo for comfort.

I so enjoyed my last use of SV 70th soap/AS that I decided to revisit it today. I had tucked away the AS sample in a ziplock, so it was still good to go this morning thankfully. Finished it off with Lavande Poivre...excellent combo for a warm day!

Off to the later service today since we slept in a bit. A couple of meetings later, but should be a nice hang out day otherwise. My hands are tied for yardwork today “unfortunately” as last weekend’s yardwork has my bin busting at the seams. Fortunately tomorrow is the pick up.

Weck should be delivered tomorrow...going to try and find some blades today.

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #154 (300 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Gillette Fat Boy, Shark blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL Morning Blend soap, Thayers Medicated, and Man Dom AS to finish!

Waited till mid day on the off chance the Weck might show up early...no dice. I like to have my shave in by mid day or before, otherwise I feel like I’m faced with the choice of 1) doing only 2 passes so I don’t ruin the next day’s shave but having to deal with DFS, or 2) doing a full 3 passes and hoping for the best the next day. I usually end up picking 1, but neither are ideal.

Brought the CBL Morning Blend back out for a second shave. Semi positive report - today’s reaction was about half of last time’s. The tingling and burn didn’t set in till about half way through the second pass, just on the cheeks and corners of the upper lip, and it disappeared within 10 minutes after the last pass, only very sight reddening of the skin. It’s deserving of a 3rd try later in the week.

This Shark on the other hand...it’s going in the bin. It’s cutting, but not smoothly. Many the Piccolo shaves were too much for the edge? I’ll try another at a later date.

As you can tell, no video today. Figured I’d save that for first impressions of the Weck.

Have a great Monday all!

Shave #155 (301 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck Med Prep shavette, Personna blade, Gillette Fatboy (setting 3), Shark blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CB Un Jour Gris soap, Thayers Medicated, and Skin Bracer AS (modern) to finish!

First shave and impressions of the Weck shavette!

Video is up on the Tube- GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #156 (302 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck Med Prep shavette, Personna blade (2), Gillette Fatboy (setting 3), Shark blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout soap, Thayers Medicated, and Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood AS to finish!

Inspired by other journals (I think it was Rich’s?), I decided to pull out my little 2 oz tub of CBL ROS!

Excellent shave, 2 passes Weck MP and 1 Fatboy. One thing about the Weck, it really lets you know if your lather is under hydrated; it starts to stick very easily if it is! No blood loss today though, just a very smooth reduction. Need to find time to do a more thorough Scrubbing Bubbles cleaning of the Weck later, see if I can’t get in the blade holder groove a bit; it’s hard to see in there but it looks a little gummy and off color. Not sure if the razor is entirely SS, or if there are some brass plated parts on the innards? It’s definitely not the ugly plastic type, I purposely avoided that one.

Off to a quick date morning, then to work, as we close early today!

Shave #157 (303 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck Med Prep shavette, Personna blade (3), Gillette Fatboy (setting 3), Shark blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Stirling Mountain Man soap, Thayers Medicated, and Pitralon Classic AS to finish!

The Stirling Mountain Man did not smell like play doh today!

Great shave after a nice, cleansing shower. Weck/Personna still going stronk. One thing I have to remember is to not go too flat with my blade angle. It might feel like an SR but it’s not, it still requires a steeper angle to cut well.

Going to surpass 100 degrees here for a couple days at the start of next week, with no signs of much relief (unless you call 90s relief). Not looking forward to it.

This weekend should be fairly normal thankfully, only a few things going on. As long as the AC doesn’t go out, I should be able to manage. Yard chores come the weekend though...ugh.

Shave #158 (304 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck Med Prep shavette, Personna blade (4), RR Game Changer .68, Shark blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, SS Citrus & Bay soap, Thayers Medicated, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Very nice shave this morning. Up a bit earlier to have a little bit of a day before heading off early to work.

Getting better with the Weck I think, though the blade worries me a bit. It feels like it’s hit it’s stride in terms of edge performance, the shave is consistent and feels smooth, but reduction is not ideal. Hitting that stride already worries me that these blades will not come closer to the longevity of the Feather AC blades; hasn’t quit yet though, so I’m holding hope!

Finally put a new Shark into the GC, that was not so promising either. It took a lot of cleanup to get where I like, but at least there was little irritation. It felt like a really good blade that already has a handful of shaves on it, smooth, but not cutting at its best.

The shave results were good though, really, I promise!

Off to work in a little while, we get to close early today and tomorrow which is nice! Not much planned for the weekend that’s out of the ordinary. Might be setting up the large, inflatable wading pool we got for the kids, who still have 2ish weeks of school left, but no homework to do (Lucky!).

Have a great Friday all!

Shave #159 (305 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck Med Prep shavette, Personna blade (5), Supply Injector (1-dot plate), Supply blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL 50 SOV soap, Thayers Medicated, and Pinaud Citrus Musk AS to finish!

Bit of a rough shave today, little bit of blood loss from the Weck; still not even quite sure how it happened. Visual results are fine but for a little razor burn, the alum sung loudly though.

Off to work in a little while, picking up after the few events today and prepping the campus for tomorrow’s services. We get to close early though. The local homeless population is coming out with the warmer weather, some fine, but a few bad apples making trouble and damaging property. I have to admit, they’re quite inventive and tenacious some times! If only they could put those qualities to good use...

Weather starts to warm back up today, with 100s still predicted for Mon/Tues and 90s the rest of the week.

Have a great Saturday all!

Shave #160 (305 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR Game Changer .68, Shark blade, TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush brush, CBL Barbershop soap, Thayers Medicated, and Fine AB AS/frag to finish!

Thankfully the end results are good, because about half the shave felt like garbage, courtesy of the Shark. Last pass hurt. Final verdict, never buying Shark blades; their overall rep is bad for a reason, must be why they’re given away with knockoff razors.

Off to Sunday morning services. Major yard work to do this afternoon before trying to set up the wading pool. After that...hopefully some family time and some peace!

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #161 (306 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck Med Prep shavette, Personna blade (6), RR Game Changer .68, Sputnik blade, R.R. Big Bruce synth brush, DR Harris Sandalwood soap, Thayers Medicated, and Proraso Red AS to finish!

Still thoroughly enjoying the Weck.

Video was just uploaded today, but was shot yesterday. GearNoir’s Shave Log on the Tube. Sorry for the lateness!

Shave #162 (307 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck MP, Personna blade (7), RR Game Changer .68, Sputnik blade, TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush by Sorrentino, SV 70th Anniversary soap, generic witch hazel, Thayers Medicated, and SV 70th AS to finish!

Just a quick entry, off to work soon.

Important day for a reason outlined in my video yesterday (which is just getting posted today, sorry!), so I kept to the good stuff and was rewarded with a great, hassle free, comfortable shave.

Should be the last 100+ degree day for the week before settling into the mid/upper 90s. I have to stay as fresh as possible for my meeting later, so that should prove an interesting balancing act.

Have a great Tuesday all!

Shave #163 (308 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck MP, Personna blade (8), RR Game Changer .68, Sputnik blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, LNHC Amber & Tobacco soap, generic witch hazel, Thayers Medicated, and Fine Platinum AS (old formula) to finish!

Pretty nice shave today, though I felt I had to do a lot of buffing with the Sputnik. Today I went with the impulse grab of LNHC Amber & Tobacco and it actually made a pretty good match with Fine Platinum I think, though the A&T is a little sweeter. This bottle of Fine Platinum I’ve had sitting around for a while, but never used; it’s their older formula. The rumors are true, way more menthol off the top and in the face feel, so much that it kind of masks the Aventus clone scent for a minute or two. The scent might be a touch less peppery and not quite as strong as the newer formula, but still a winner! I may switch to using up this bottle first; and the older square bottles have a removable flow restrictor and are reusable, double bonus!

So the interview went well last night. They had a lot of tough questions to ask. Junior High ministry May seem like all fun and games on the outside, but you’re taking care of people’s kids, budding members of the church; there’s a lot of responsibility there. I did ramble some (no surprise there right?), simply because of my nature as an introvert and being put on the spot, but I think I walked the line between being honest about my practical abilities while selling myself a little bit pretty well. I don’t want them to think I’m something I’m not; I knew all of the panel anyway, so they’d have a clue if I were being false. They’re hoping to have someone in before Fall programs start back up, but they have a good number more of interviews to do, so it’ll be at least a month before I hear any news as to next steps or lack there of. I remain hopeful!

Shave #164 (309 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck MP, Personna blade (9), RR Game Changer .68, Sputnik blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, JoHS Turkish Bath (Barbershop) soap, generic witch hazel, Thayers Medicated, and Barbasol PR AS to finish!

Inspired by Chris of the flying-type’s shave today, I chose to do a barbershop type shave of my own!

All went really nicely, no harshness to be found. The Personna HS blade is hanging in there and the Sputnik is much more comfortable than the Shark was at this point. Of course I love Barbasol PR, just wish it would stick around longer!

So far, surviving the hot days; thankfully it’s not been super, run around crazy, busy. We dip back into the 90s today, which will be a small improvement.

Today is the kids’ last day of school before the summer break. So now begins our annual test of parenthood as we deal with the ramifications of said summer break.
upload_2019-6-13_10-19-11.gif

Shave #165 (310 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck MP, Personna blade (10), RR Game Changer .68, Sputnik blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, LNHC Coconut Oud soap, generic witch hazel, Thayers Medicated, and RR The Stallion AS to finish!

Just a quick entry as I’m off to work soon. Get to close nice and early today and tomorrow!

Good oud centric shave today. A little bit of trouble getting enough product off the tub, it takes just the right technique for it not to start humming up too much...but dang this soap is killer when you get it right!

Feeling really sore the last couple of days. Not quite sure why.

Hope you all have a great Friday. It’s a weird Friday...doesn’t feel like one...

Shave #166 (311 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck MP, Personna blade (11), RR Game Changer .68, Sputnik blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, SS Citrus & Bay soap, generic witch hazel, Thayers Medicated, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Feels like I did this shave already this week, but I wasn’t bothered enough to go look to make sure, lol. Just the facts...it was all good!

Off to work soon!

Have a great Saturday and a great Fathers Day weekend all you dads out there!

Shave #167 (312 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck MP, Personna blade (12), RR Game Changer .68, Sputnik blade, TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, Puke Tub soap, generic witch hazel, Thayers Medicated, and Fine Platinum AS/EdT to finish!

Off to services already, missus opening the coffee bar.

Nice shave this morning, if a bit rushed with everyone on and out of the bathroom in the bustle of getting ready quickly.

It’s been a while since I pulled out the Puke Tub to do anything other than add to it. The scent has changed from a little bit of everything to a little bit of everything but different, not bad at all; performance is still legendary!

Services this morning, oldest child leaves this afternoon for a week long summer camp, might have to do some chores this afternoon, but otherwise should be a chill day. Interested in giving my whiskey stones a try later and enjoying some of my little treats!

Have a blessed Sunday all! Happy Father’s Day to all dads literally and figuratively!

Shave #168 (313 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck Med Prep shavette, Personna blade (13), RR Game Changer .68, Sputnik blade, R.R. Big Bruce synth brush, SC Commitment soap, witch hazel/aloe blend, and Paul Sebastian AS to finish!

Hey, hey, look who’s on time today!

Video is up on the Tube- GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #169 (314 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Weck Med Prep shavette, Personna blade (14), RR Game Changer .68, Sputnik blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, Cella soap, Thayer’s Medicated, and Stirling Pepper & Lime AS to finish!

Nice shower n shave this morning. Today starts my work week! Going to be busy and warm; today actually will reach 100+, then mid/high 90s the rest of the week. Booo!

Gotta lot of writing to do yet for my James 5 study Thursday...off to it!

Have a great Tuesday all!

Top Bottom