What's new

First SR shave

Shave #138 (290 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Game Changer .68, Gillette 7 o’clock Green blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, A&E Grecian Horse soap, Thayers Medicated, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Nice shave today, full of fresh scents!

Left the lather a little thicker than normal for the first pass, really seemed to help with 2nd and 3rd pass coverage. Everything was fairly smooth otherwise, though I still feel a bit of the in-shave slickness was lacking.

Tomorrow will be the A&E sample I’ve been most looking forward to - L’Orange Vert!

Headed to work soon, get to close up an hour early. Last night’s marriage simul-cast seemed to be a success, with about 80 people in attendance and plenty of happy faces leaving. Today is mostly readying the campus for services tomorrow, only a couple short events happening. Tomorrow is our annual mission fair, where each major program or mission oriented ministry of the church gets a chance to be highlighted for the congregation’s information and benefit.

Have a great Saturday all!

Shave #139 (291 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Game Changer .68, Gillette 7 o’clock Green blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, A&E L’Orange Verte soap, Thayers Medicated, Lucky Tiger AS, and Fine Platinum AS to finish!

Excellent shave this morning before heading out for services!

L’Orange Verte is indeed the best scent out of the 4 A&E samples received. The orange is deep and darker than expected. It’s accompanied by a great clove-like spice. There is an effervescent lingering scent reminiscent of the smell and aftertaste of a blood orange sparkling soda.

Banged out 3 smooth passes with the Feather and GC. I think the Feather is in a good spot for shaves right now, the edge is well used so should is slightly more forgiving and feels fairly smooth.

Normal Sunday morning for us; heading in early so the missus can open up the coffee bar. No chance of yardwork today sadly, heavy rains yesterday and more promised today. (Darn it :001_tongu)

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #140 (292 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, SV 70th Anniversary soap, generic witch hazel, Thayers Medicated, Speick AS, and Pitralon Classic AS to finish!

Yea, that just happened...get the popcorn!

Video is up on the Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #141 (293 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Game Changer .68, Gillette 7 o’clock Green blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, A&E L’Orange Verte soap, Thayers Medicated, Lucky Tiger AS, and CC Venture AS to finish!

Really nice followup shave to yesterday’s venture in foolishness. Surprisingly less lasting irritation than it felt like I was going to have the rest of the day, but all that post shave I quickly slapped on to my face at the end of the video really did it’s work well. Regardless, today’s shave was far kinder and didn’t have me sweating bullets.

In to work early today. I’m going to be getting the low down on how to strip floor finishes and then how to refinish and seal them. That’s probably going to be a good chunk of my work day. I’ll be off early and get to spend an evening with the family though, which are few and far between once the work week starts.

Have a great Tuesday all!

I love going from using my SR to the Feather Folding SS...so light and nimble. I've got to use up the Pro Guards, which may not occur in my life time since they last so long. A member friend sent me a sample of the Professionals, so I might try at some point.

Looking back, I never regret my decision of choosing the Feather as my shavette type.

I love going from using my SR to the Feather Folding SS...so light and nimble. I've got to use up the Pro Guards, which may not occur in my life time since they last so long. A member friend sent me a sample of the Professionals, so I might try at some point.

Looking back, I never regret my decision of choosing the Feather as my shavette type.

Agreed, I think it’s a masterful tool. A dabbling in DE shavettes might be just a waste of money at this point.

Shave #142 (294 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Game Changer .68, Gillette 7 o’clock Green blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, A&E L’Orange Verte soap, Thayers Medicated, and Old Spice AS (modern) to finish!

Welp...up early for Mr Mom duties. Took a quick shave for myself as the kids were still getting ready for school. Managed to wake up just enough to make it an open blade one.

I’ve really been trying Josh’s moisturizer/AS mix step my last couple of shaves. It mutes the scents a bit but I like the way it works!

Out to grab a coffee with the missus as we head to the church for work. More floor stripping today...

535D304E-FEF5-44AF-B1D0-6589D5535DDF.gif

Have a great Wednesday all!

Shave #143 (295 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Game Changer .68, Gillette 7 o’clock Green blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Stirling Mountain Man soap, Thayers Medicated, and Pinaud Special Reserve AS to finish!

Slept in a bit today, I was just exhausted. Took a nice, hot, (hopefully) cleansing shower to rid my body of whatever toxins I might be still carrying on or just under the skin.

Shave was nice. Edging ever closer to 300!

Today was my first use of a Stirling soap, Mountain Man, generously provided by Aaron in my soap buy from him. I don’t know if he liked it or not. When first received, I stated that it smelled very generic, akin to a clay or almost play doh. Smelling it this morning before lathering, I got minimal hints of a cologne vibe, a very light leather and something bright or floral. Whatever it is, it keeps getting overshadowed by said “generic” smell more often than not. The lather itself, as a soap, is pretty decent. I can see why this is a good baseline soap for some and why it remains in the den for many. Decent slickness, a nice feeling lather (maybe not the best residual or post shave), plenty of scents to choose from, and decent prices.

Morning cups of coffee just got a little more easy. We were passed along a Keurig in good condition. So enjoying a cup, then off to a meeting and it’s back to work for the afternoon. Hoping to get at least a few finish coats on the floor before we call it quits. Really hope today is the end of it. I’m a little disgruntled about how this all came about and was executed, frankly, but that burden doesn’t need to be laid on you all!

Happy Thursday all.

Shave #144 (296 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Game Changer .68, Gillette 7 o’clock Green blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, SS Citrus & Bay soap, Thayers Medicated, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

So interesting thing happened last night. The missus rarely says anything about my shaving scents. But when I got home, we had our normal greeting and she said “whatever you’re wearing smells really nice”! Of all things, I had used Pinaud SR AS (which I don’t particularly love) and a spritz of Stirling Glastonbury EdT (which I do like). I said “Are you sure?” I even let her smell directly from that bottles and she was like “yea those are nice”. I was shocked! Hadn’t pegged her down as in for those kinds of scents. Win I guess?

Anyway, great bay rum shave today! SS was on point, as was Bootlegger’s! Not sure what to do for my 300th open blade shave yet, still thinking about it. Likely I’ll at least try to record.

Work in a couple of hours. Should be relatively relaxed weekend shifts today and tomorrow. The floor business is almost done! I put down 4 coats over the majority of the floor yesterday, except the 15%ish we had a piano sitting on. Today I’ll move the piano and get that last bit 4 coats and I should be golden for tomorrow to move everything else back into the room as it was. Thank. Goodness.

Have a great Friday all!

Shave #145 (297 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Game Changer .68, Gillette 7 o’clock Green blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Stirling Mountain Man soap, Thayers Medicated, and RR The Stallion AS to finish!

A quick entry as I am just now stepping into work.

Nice shave this morning. Got to bed a little late, so not as much sleep as I’d have liked, but I’m awake at least and had a nice morning with the family...proper Saturday with the kids watching cartoons and a cup of coffee and chorizo breakfast burrito with the missus.

Stirling did the job today and as a plus I got less play doh smell than normal. Still can’t think of what that smell might be though...maybe just the base? Oh well, still a good soap.

Today is just about making things ready for services tomorrow. Pretty chill.

Have a great Saturday all!

Shave #146 (298 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Game Changer .68, Gillette 7 o’clock Green blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, CBL Barbershop soap, Thayers Medicated, and Fine American Blend AS to finish!

A bit tired, but otherwise I’m feeling a million bucks today...well smelling it at least!

Great shave. I think it’s time to swap blades soon though, reduction is getting a little ragged. The 300th is so close though!

Off to services soon. Headed over to my parents later for dinner and a little hang out time. Should be a nice day!

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #147 (299 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Proraso Green soap, Thayers Medicated, and Osage Rub AS to finish!

Got to sleep in a little late today after we all got home late from the parents’ last night.

After a cup of coffee and a cinnamon roll, I suited up to go find the birds in the attic. Our attic is unfinished unfortunately, and quite low in most spots, so it’s a hassle even for a slightly smaller guy like me to move around. I did find the birds, where they got in, and the nest the parents had built, but it was nigh unreachable and the chicks were mobile enough to just hop away from reach. I foresee an unfortunate ending for this scenario sadly. That absorbed about 30 minutes.

The next 4ish hours were spent doing yard work, to get mostly caught up from the last 3-4 weeks of not being able to do it because of rain/travel. I took the time to get out my mask this time, so I seem to have avoided any serious allergy flare up.

Definitely took a shower after that and did a 3 pass Feather shave (WTG and x2 XTG) to knock myself down to solid DFS/DFS+. Decided to mix the normal Monday video in favor of waiting till tomorrow to document my 300th open blade shave.

Now I’ve moved on to laundry.

Needless to say, come evening, at least one serving of some type of bourbon will be had.

What’s to say friends? Life can’t be ignored and I’m blessed to have it. Thank you to all veterans and active duty for your service. Never forget those who have gone before, paving the way and holding the line for freedoms we enjoy.

Happy Monday all!

Shave #148 (300 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, Sorrentino 1st Anniversary badger brush, SV 70th Anniversary soap, Thayers Medicated, and SV 70th Anniversary AS to finish!

300th open blade shave finally up! GearNoir’s Shave Log on the Tube!

Top Bottom