What's new

First SR shave

Man, I’ve been eye balling a few Dorvos and Bokers. I’ve also daydreamed about it. LOL!!!!!! It will happen, eventually. I knew those guys in the videos made it look too easy. Again, I commend you.

And when I do take the plunge, rest assured I’m gonna broadcast it—bloody details and all.

Sounds like things are going pretty well. Good for you.

ElMatador, I am also in the same process as GearNoir, but about a week behind him. Today was my 10th SR shave. I have a journal in the Journal and Diaries subforum, if you are interested in details.

One thing that I found really helpful is at the very beginning to do a WTG pass with a very mild DE first, and then repeat the WTG pass with the straight. It is easier to get a muscle memory for angles, etc. when you don't meet as much resistance. This is a good way to ease into using a SR.

Sounds like things are going pretty well. Good for you.

ElMatador, I am also in the same process as GearNoir, but about a week behind him. Today was my 10th SR shave. I have a journal in the Journal and Diaries subforum, if you are interested in details.

One thing that I found really helpful is at the very beginning to do a WTG pass with a very mild DE first, and then repeat the WTG pass with the straight. It is easier to get a muscle memory for angles, etc. when you don't meet as much resistance. This is a good way to ease into using a SR.
Kingfisher:

Interesting. I will take note and look for your subforum. Thanks!!!

Shave #17:

Cella day! Nothing like smearing a bear claw pastry on your face to start out the morning!

Not a whole lot to note today. Had some lather issues, but the shave overall was smooth. No nicks, cuts, weepers, etc. Very little razor burn as well. It was a bit patchy, but achieved a mostly SAS with my two SR passes before DE cleanup.

The alum block has really been my friend in post shave this journey so far. It’s taken care of just about any issue in tandem with a good AS.

Nice work, Chris. I am about 6 shaves behind you; shave 12 tomorrow morning.

Awesome! I hope things are progressing well for you? What are you using again?

Shave #18:

The beloved Sunday shave! Full suite of AOS Sandalwood products and a quick 2 pass shave - 1 XTG SR and 1 ATG DE cleanup.

Keeping proper blade angle is still eluding me somewhat. I start most strokes out fine but notice that I tend to vary some mid stroke. Still trying to find the sweet spot for my SR. I did it with DE, I’m confident I’ll happen soon for SR!

Awesome! I hope things are progressing well for you? What are you using again?

Shave #18:

The beloved Sunday shave! Full suite of AOS Sandalwood products and a quick 2 pass shave - 1 XTG SR and 1 ATG DE cleanup.

Keeping proper blade angle is still eluding me somewhat. I start most strokes out fine but notice that I tend to vary some mid stroke. Still trying to find the sweet spot for my SR. I did it with DE, I’m confident I’ll happen soon for SR!
Hang in there. Slow and steady wins the race.

I'm using a "sight unseen" razor I bought from Larry at Whipped Dog. I can't even remember what brand/maker it is.

Hang in there. Slow and steady wins the race.

I'm using a "sight unseen" razor I bought from Larry at Whipped Dog. I can't even remember what brand/maker it is.

Nice! Larry did right by me too.

Shave #19:

Oh gawd...my face is still tingly fresh in the best way possible, it was a Proraso Green day after all!

Today’s shave went really smoothly, both SR and DE. This week will be my last Tech touch up week I think, I’m ready to bring my Piccolo back out.

No nicks, cuts, or burn (I did nip off a pimple or two I didn’t see previously!). Enjoying keeping the pace of a WTG and XTG SR shave combined with ATG DE cleanup. My XTG pass left me with a SAS except a couple minor patches I missed. Not much learned today, but another successful shave under the belt.

Shave #20!

1/5th the way down the road to 100. Same edge as was set to me by Larry, other than the 40-60 leather strops I do between shaves. Still comfortable, still sharp. It is the American craftsmanship? Is it Larry’s edge? Is it my stropping? Is my facial hair not as wifey as I thought? Is it all of the above? Maybe!

DR Harris Sandalwood day today.

My two SR passes gave me mostly SAS again, except for a very small patch under the chin that took an extra couple strokes to reduce down.

Have to remember to stop feeling my face so often during the day, it increases my likelihood of pimples...but it just feels so dang good on shave days! Even the next morning my cheeks are DFS most of the time, it’s not till that afternoon the second day that the hair growth factory kicks in and I start looking scruffy. Then I start feeling my face out of regret at not shaving that morning! :117:

Nice work, and keep at it! Working it in as part of my routine really helped me in the beginning. I shave daily, so I committed to doing at least part of each shave with a straight. Before long, it was a straight for all three passes (haven’t touched a DE in months).

It’s amazing how fast your technique will improve—soon you’ll be shaving in all directions with confidence and using your off-hand like a champ!
Congratulations...Interestingly,I too had my first Sr shave 2 days ago.. different products, similar results .I did one pass and touch ups. It went allot better than I expected .1 cut , no nicks. Lots of neck irritation...ohhhh that alum...
1850~1870 Wade&Butcher
B/M 42
Alum

Congratulations...Interestingly,I too had my first Sr shave 2 days ago.. different products, similar results .I did one pass and touch ups. It went allot better than I expected .1 cut , no nicks. Lots of neck irritation...ohhhh that alum...
1850~1870 Wade&Butcher
B/M 42
Alum

Awesome! Welcome to the club!

Shave #21:

TOBS Sandalwood day! Tested out a new brush, never used a synthetic before.

All around good shave today. Other than an unexpected pimple removal, it was smooth with very little irritation.

Still 3 passes, 2 SR and 1 DE.

Another one in the books!

It's true that the shaves seem to last longer. i shave 3 times a week and a Sunday night shave easily lasts me to Tuesday night. If i tried to shave on a Monday, i'd be wasting my time!

Synthetic brushes are a great low maintenance and inexpensive way to go; dip it in water shave with it - no need for that ritual pre-soak of other brushes. But i like that ritual! :)

T

But i like that ritual! :)

Indeed! It felt almost wrong to not do it. I’m sure I’ll change that tune when I order a Big Bruce though...

Shave #22:

Not the best day for a relaxing shave. Didn’t wake up early enough to be done before the kids woke up and had their morning bodily cleansings. There’s just something not quite right when you are brushing on your favorite soap and wafts of bodily function assail your nose!

Anyway AOS Sandalwood day! Quick shave, only two passes - XTG with the SR and ATG DE cleanup. Woke me up, put me in a church mood! Happy Sunday everyone!

Outhouses were a great idea! But in any event, time pressure on the bathroom is a given most mornings, wife needs the mirror etc etc, so i shave in the evening.

Sounds like a decent shave nonetheless.

T

Outhouses were a great idea! But in any event, time pressure on the bathroom is a given most mornings, wife needs the mirror etc etc, so i shave in the evening.

Sounds like a decent shave nonetheless.

T

I’m not a morning person really, so I need my morning shaves as part of the wake up and be fresh and clean routine.

Shave #23:

Ugh, my weekend was too short! Thankfully today was a Proraso Red day!

Notable today was that I switched out my prewar Fat Handled Tech for my Piccolo. Was doing the second half of a synthetic brush review, so this set up fit the bill.

Face lather was rough this morning. The synthetic I reviewed has way too much spring and scritch for it to be used any way other than as a bowl latherer.

Even though my face took an extra beating from the brush, the shave itself went well. I’m going to push my SR edge another shave or two, then try putting it on the pasted balsa.

One nick from my DE cleanup (there’s a little readjustment that needs to happen going from a Tech back to a Piccolo :001_tongu). Otherwise ready to conquer the world!

Nice shave. I have also had a couple of weepers over the past three weeks that came from my DE rather than from the straight. Ironic.

Nice shave. I have also had a couple of weepers over the past three weeks that came from my DE rather than from the straight. Ironic.

Isn’t it though? Here’s some more ironicnessnessness for you -

Shave #24:

Well my SR must have heard that I was looking to put it on the balsa chopping block today...because I got CCS in two passes...yes 2 passes!

Just when you think you know what you’re doing, there’s usually a little surprise. I thought, yep, I know my edge and how it shaves now, time for a refresher...nope, it just pulled out another win. It was my technique that needed attitude adjustment. I’m going to push this workhorse till it don’t give no more!

Today was a Cella day...mmmm Cella. Needless to say, DE clean up was a breeze.

Happy face!

To any SR veteran folks following...will a professionally honed edge always only need a refresh if treated properly, no matter how far the edge is taken? Or will pushing it too far require another professional honing?

Congrats, Chris. It seems that you are doing much better than I am. I have taken a slight step backward in my straight razor shaves and have gone back to doing the first pass WTG because I've been having so much trouble on the neck.

I wonder if my razor already needs to be re-honed?

Top Bottom