What's new

First SR shave

Shave #16 of 2019:

Gear: Occam Razor v2 (2 dot plate), Feather Pro blade (10), William’s soap (modern; as preshave), RR Big Bruce synth, Proraso Red soap, generic witch hazel, and Proraso Red AS to finish!

Nice shave today with the Occam. Today I felt confident enough to really whip it around. I’m actually enjoying the slight blade bend allowed. The blade still feels fairly rigid, but simply attacks coutours much more easily than other AC razors I’ve tried. It felt really comfortable rounding the chin and jaw. Any blade rattling was a non-issue today; I didn’t even notice/hear it if there was.

Woke up this morning with a bit of lower back pain. Yesterday’s shift in combo with sleeping wrong I think. When I did hit the pillow last night, I was lights out pretty fast though lol.

Just as a thought: The concept of sleep and losing consciousness has always been a curious think. I never remember actually falling asleep. Just one point it’s night and I’m getting comfortable, then the next point the alarm is ringing for me to wake up. I suppose there is some kind of grace in that being able to let go completely for a short time.

Have a great Wednesday all!

Shave #17 of 2019:

Gear: Occam Razor v2 (2 dot plate), Feather Pro blade (11), RR Big Bruce synth, Catie’s Bubbles Un Jour Gris soap, generic witch hazel, and BB PC Fresh AS to finish!

I think I’ve nailed down what it feels like to shave with this razor. It feels like you’re shaving with a sharper, more smooth, single blades, moderately less manuverable (due to lack of pivot) Fusion cart! All this is in a good way!

Really pushed the shave comfort zone a little bit more today - faster and a little more ATG angled on the last pass. Only a couple nicks, but the razor allowed a good shave otherwise! I’m about 80% BBS the rest hovering on the BBS/DFS border.

Thought I’d revisit Pinaud Clubman today. This is my own mixture with it. Better skin feel, brighter scent, and a bit of wintergreen cooling. Not bad!

Been getting a lot of rain the last few days, which is good because we definitely need it! Yesterday was high winds and some periods of major downpour. Great if you’re cozy inside your home, not so much if you’re working and doing a lot of running around from building to building!

Happy Thursday all!

Shave #18 of 2019:

Gear: Occam Razor v2 (2 dot plate), Feather Pro blade (12), RR Big Bruce synth, William’s soap (modern; as preshave), Cella’s soap, generic witch hazel, and Bootlegger’s BR AS to finish!

Ultimately good results today, but pushed the shave too far. All user error, well mostly. Even though I mentioned a lot of positive things about the razor yesterday, you also may notice that I’ve mentioned nicks a number of times and some irritation. As good as the razor feels, I think it’s deceptive in what one perceives can be done with it, or what it would allow. I haven’t had consistent irritation and nicks like this last week for quite a while. The alum was used today and gave quite a bit of feedback.

Everything else in the shave was spot on today - prep, lather, brush, and AS.

Going to be long days at work today and tomorrow with the start of the basketball league games.

This week, since the loss of our coworker, one of the longer employed part-timers, young college age guy, has been allowed to take the vacancy. He’s got some growing to do, but he’s got a good chance of being able to handle stepping up into the role. More importantly, for me, he is the main guy that has covered for me during vacations and knows a good deal of the duties I have to fulfill. So, instead of having to work all of the late Saturdays during basketball season, we will see how alternating goes - him opening/me closing one week, swap the next, etc. It’ll still be a bit rough on me since I have the closing Friday shift, then I’d have to turn around and come back to open in less than 8 hours, but I’ll free up a bit of time for the family on the weekend.

Anway, happy Friday all, you made it through the week!

Shave #19 of 2019:

Gear: Occam Razor v2 (2 dot plate), Feather Pro blade (13), Yaqi SF synth, CBL Harvest Oud soap, generic witch hazel, and Ogalalla Bay Rum & Sandalwood AS to finish!

Decent shave today. Didn’t push it at all and still managed to get nicked. I guess the flexibility of the blade is one of the Occam’s great strengths, but also can be a drawback. One more shave with it tomorrow before I switch to the Aluminium General v1. Overall the Occam is a fun razor, easy use, very unique...but I don’t think it would be a purchase for me.

The Harvest Oud performed magnificently and is very holiday-reminiscent for me, though I don’t get much Oud, mostly spice and cinnamon; I love the scent though! Today I committed and added the remnants of the sample to my Elite Puke tub. I had put it off for a long time as the soap is scented strongly in a very specific way, which could easily overpower and alter what’s in there already. Today though I just said fudge it anyway and did it. :001_tongu

Crossing my fingers for a smooth shift today. Games for the kids get over about 9-9:30pm, then it’s the rush to clean up the Life Center (where the gym is housed) and make the magical transformation of the building into our Modern Worship space for Sunday.

Hope everyone is having a restful Saturday!

Shave #19 of 2019:

Gear: Occam Razor v2 (2 dot plate), Feather Pro blade (14), Yaqi SF synth, JoHS Barbershop soap, generic witch hazel, Fine Platinum AS, and Fine Platinum EDT to finish!

Lets just say I’m glad I smell like a million bucks, because I feel like crap. Thankfully I didn’t have any reason to be at the first services, so I got a little sleep.

My shift last night ended up being a little over 10 hours, with my coworker and I not getting out until just past 12:30 am.

The shower and shave refreshed me some, but I’m looking forward to coming home after service and being a blob for the rest of the day, mostly...

Otherwise, the final shave with the Occam razor was very nice today. I’m glad I got to experience this razor!

Blessings on you this Sunday day.

Shave #21 of 2019:

Gear: Colonial General Aluminum, Feather Pro blade (15), Yaqi SF synth, CBL 50 Shades of Vetiver soap, generic witch hazel, Master Jade AS, and Skin Bracer AS to finish!

Sorry it took so long...bane of everyone being home is everyone wants to use the various devices!

Video is up! On the Tube: GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #22 of 2019:

Gear: Colonial General Aluminum, Feather Pro blade (16), RR Big Bruce synth, SC Commitment soap, generic witch hazel, and Proraso Red AS to finish!

Still feeling under the weather, in body and mental capacity, but I drugged up and have to go to work in a little while. I do get tomorrow off, though I still have Mr Mom duty.

Shave felt so-so today. Actually it felt pretty rough in some spots and I got a couple nicks. Going to change the blade tomorrow and see if that helps. Overall it feels like the Aluminum General doesn’t have the glide and maybe a touch less efficiency? Not sure yet. Results were decent at least, though they may not be long lasting.

I needed some calming sandalwood today, so it was nice to luxuriate in my choices this morning. I’m reminded though that I haven’t used AOS Sandalwood for many months, what’s left of the cream I have may just be added into the Puke tub; I’d have to let it sit out for a day or so to solidify it some though.

Still enjoying Skyrim and No Man’s Sky (mostly Skyrim). I’m still fairly low level, but I feel like there’s a good balance in Skyrim of easy enemies and then areas that are a good challenge. The story is fun too; great bits of lore and storytelling that I liked from Morrowind. Plenty of side quests to get lost in!

Hope y’all have an excellent Tuesday!

Shave #23 of 2019:

Gear: Assured Razor, Assured blade (1), RR Big Bruce synth, William’s (modern) soap, generic witch hazel, and Barbasol PR AS to close!

Today I stared death in the face, and he blinked first.

Participating in a $1 Assured Razor challenge. Video is up on the Tube!

Shave #24 of 2019:

Gear: Assured Razor, Assured blade (2), RR Big Bruce synth, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, and Myrsol Formula K AS to close!

Eliminated some variables today in the Assured Razor Challenge...it wasn’t without some discomfort, but I came out on top with a 70%+ BBS, the rest a touch into DFS.

In the shave I only used the near perfect side of the razor, I did not flip the blade or anything else. Yesterday I simply dipped the entire head, blade and all, into isopropyl for a couple seconds. I haven’t even opened the razor back up.

The WTG and XTG passes were actually semi-comfortable. The edge of the blade had indeed smoothed put a tad, but still was obviously lacking in sharpness when passing over some spots. No tugging yet, but I did feel some scraping.

ATG is where the deficiencies of the blade really become noticeable. It cut, but produced a moderate bit of razor burn and some irritation. Nothing the witch hazel couldn’t handle, but still fairly uncomfortable, unpleasant, and scrape-y in a number of spots. Skin is a bit tender, but otherwise I’m good for the final use of this duo together for tomorrow’s shave.

This morning had me dragging. My aches and throat congestion was precursor to a light head cold I guess. After dropping everyone off for the morning, I went home and shut my eyes for an additional 2 hours, something I almost never do. Thankfully I set an alarm, I could very easily have probably spent the rest of the day in bed unknowingly. I got up and freshened a bit with a shower and shave. Still far from 100%, but a bit more on the ball than this morning at least. Off to pick everyone up and off work soon!

Have a great Thursday all!

Shave #25 of 2019:

Gear: Assured Razor, Assured blade (3), RR Big Bruce synth, Proraso Green soap, generic witch hazel, and Proraso Green balm to close!

Made a (failed) attempt at the Speed Challenge for the month. The actual shave was about 8 minutes. Gave myself a good nick in the process. Did complete the Assured Razor Challenge though!

Video is up on the Tube! GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #26 of 2019:

Gear: Colonial General Aluminum, Feather Pro blade (17), RR Big Bruce synth, SS Citrus & Bay soap, generic witch hazel, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Just a quick entry today, I’ve already been at work for 30 minutes! I know right? Who is this guy?

So after 3 shaves with the Assured Razor and blade, I found a new appreciation for the General Aluminum and the Feather Pro I previously thought was bad. A comparatively excellent shave today...world of difference in in-shave-feel from the last 3 days!

Energized this morning, though still a lot of funk hanging around in my innards. Looking forward to finishing this day and starting my weekend!

Have a great Saturday all!

Shave #27 of 2019:

Gear: Colonial General Aluminum, Feather Pro blade (18), Yaqi SF synth, Elite Clown Puke soap, generic witch hazel, Fine L’Orange Noir AS, and Terre D’ Hermes frag to finish!

Another quick entry as we head out to services. Per usual, trying to end the shave week on a super high note. Just a good, solid shave today! I think ultimately I could settle for an aluminum if I couldn’t get one of the others. The heavy handle definitely helps.

Final thoughts on the Aluminum General in tomorrow’s video and start of some shaves with the Toggle as well as working back in the Feather SS into my routine...it’s been over a month! I also get to try my first slant shave at some point! Exciting!

I think the only “type” of razor I have yet to acquire is an injector.

Really great day after work with the family yesterday. No one got in trouble, no arguments, we got to play games, watch a movie together, have dinner, go out for a special fro-yo treat. I wish every day could be like that!

Happy Sunday all!

Shave #28 of 2019:

Gear: Gillette Toggle, Assured blade (4), Yaqi SF synth, 3 soap mix (CBL Barbershop, AOS Sandalwood, and Catie’s Bubbles La Rose du Mechant), generic witch hazel, and Stirling Vanilla & Sandalwood to finish!

Ugh just a hell of a day. Sorry for the lateness, had some major issues getting the video together today. Quality drops for the last segment, apologies.

Video is up on the Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #29 of 2019:

Gear: Gillette Toggle, Personna Platinum Chrome blade (?), Yaqi SF synth, CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout soap, generic witch hazel, and Old Spice AS (modern) to finish!

Once again, though it was still on the edge of acceptable, the Assured products push up the enjoyment of “normal” products. Shave today was great, buttery smooth in fact; I actually couldn’t feel the shave and lost the angle at some points...and I’m pretty sure this Personna has been around the block a bit. I had only one area on the upper lip with some nominal scraping/rawness from chasing.

Everything else...perfect. I mentioned it in the video, but the Toggle feels very close to the Fatboy, but slightly different balance and maybe a tad more heft. I will try upping the settings over the week.

Went to bed a little early last night, it kinda worked, as I felt marginally more rested upon waking up this morning.

Back to work this afternoon for a full week of general busyness and running around.

Have a great Tuesday all!

Shave #30 of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade (19?), Gillette Toggle, Personna Platinum Chrome blade (?), RR Big Bruce synth, DRH Sandalwood soap, generic witch hazel, and CC Venture AS to finish!

Really great shave today with the Toggle. I kicked it up to setting 5. It was still fairly smooth and forgiving, but seemed to do a bit better. Sitting at about 95%+ BBS.

I did start the shave by reintroducing my face to the Feather AC SS. Two passes and I was within CCS/DFS territory, zero irritation or blood loss.

The missus has her shoulder check up today, to determine if she’s ready for PT and to be removed from any activity restrictions. Hoping for good news!

Have a great Wednesday all!

Shave #31 of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade (20?), Gillette Toggle, Personna Platinum Chrome blade (?), RR Big Bruce synth, SS Citrus & Bay soap, generic witch hazel, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Good shave today after dropping folks off, cleaning up the hair, and showering. Just a little irritation and dryness on the chin, user scrapage error.

I did have some great passes with the Feather. Only one little slice on the jaw line that closed quickly. Came in a bit to steep on a stroke and touch was not as light as I thought in that moment I guess.

Ramping up for the weekend at work. It’s going to be a busy one - basketball games, a large memorial, a baby shower, services, and more.

The missus had her shoulder check up yesterday afternoon. A number of her restrictions have been lightened. She can start testing how it feels to drive on Monday, but she has to keep to short trips. She can keep her arm out of the sling now in places she won’t get jostled (ie - home), can ween herself more off the meds, and can very carefully and slowly begin to work her arm a bit (with help of course). PT begins in about a week. Not everything she was hoping to hear, but it’s a step forward!

Have a great Thursday all!

Great on the shave (thank goodness you didn't get too bad of a scrape), and glad your wife is on the road to recovery! :) Have a safe weekend. Some of us will be thawing out. LOL!

Great on the shave (thank goodness you didn't get too bad of a scrape), and glad your wife is on the road to recovery! :) Have a safe weekend. Some of us will be thawing out. LOL!

Thanks! Stay warm out there! Our winters seem to get shorter and shorter.

Top Bottom