What's new

First SR shave

Open Blade Shave #239:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade (14), RR Game Changer .68, Personna Platinum blade (2), Yaqi SF synth, William’s (modern; as preshave) soap, Vito’s Extra Super soap, generic witch hazel, Speick AS, and Le Labo Bergamote 22 frag to finish!

Another lazy day, another late morning shave!

Went for the Vito’s today after a good William’s preshave soak. Great shave, only a little bit of irritation and a couple nicks - totally user error for chasing.

On to the Le Labo Bergamote 22! I was wrong yesterday, this one did not come in a spritz container, but the little stoppered glass vial. So I put a moderate amount on the pulse points with finger dabs. Nice, intense burst of green on application. The bergamot and cedar really come to the front, but are softened by the other notes, mostly the amber and grapefruit. This begins on the near manly side of scents but cools down to a unisex fragrance. Another one that will not be bought, though it is very pleasant. I should probably make that clarification. These first two trials (Uomo and Bergamote 22) are very nice and pleasant scents; I imagine they would do well for a number of folks, they are just not in the manly wheelhouse I’m looking for. I’m pleased to be able to try them!

In other things, we’ve been blessed to be treated to dinners by friends the last couple of nights. Nothing like having a nice, tasty, hot meal dropped off at your doorstep!

We are both getting plenty of rest. Looking forward to starting the Christmas festivities in earnest tomorrow. The missus’ initial pain meds and nerve block from the hospital are fully worn off now (she has prescribed pain meds though), and she is feeling a bit more discomfort and especially itching. Really trying to keep her from overdoing things. She is too used to being constantly on the go.

Happy Sunday all!

Christmas Eve shave:

Gear: RR Game Changer .68, Personna Platinum blade (3), RR Big Bruce synth, Catie’s Bubbles Un Jour Gris soap, generic witch hazel, Speick AS, and Terre D’Hermes frag to finish!

Apologies, the shave video didn’t happen today. I did have a very nice shave though, as quick as it was.

Spent the morning helping the missus and walking with her. She was finally ready to change dressings and clean up for real. I understood that need completely. That went a lot smoother than I expected too!

After over a week (two?) with the Yaqi SF synth, I revisited the Big Bruce. The Yaqi is good, but the BB remains king (there’s a rumor that Yaqi makes the Plissoft knots? I don’t know). Kept with the theme of clean, low impact scents for the shave. Catie’s whipped up a perfect 3 pass lather (actually enough for 5 in a 10 second load on a bloomed puck) in a few minutes. Didn’t push it today, but ended with about 80%+ BBS with the GC.

So...Terre D’Hermes. I’ve been anticipating this use since I first laid eyes on the sample vial. Boys...this is high class man juice! CBL Orange Dirt is a light but fairly faithful representation when you first open the soap and take a big whiff; Fine L’Orange Noir is a tad more intense of a spin-off. The real juice is one of a kind, intoxicating, simple but oh so sophisticated. Upon initial spray the deep orange citrus, deep wood, and dark earth/spice play a heavy hit to the senses. The dry down opens it up, mellowing out the wood a bit to a luxurious, deep, dirty, royal orange with just a faint line of musk. Hours later, when the sprayed areas shift just right, I get a glorious hit of scent I just can’t inhale deep enough to satisfy the craving. If I ever get the chance, this is definitely a must buy!

Made it safely to the in-laws for the afternoon. I’ll stay through tomorrow night then be heading back on my lonesome, with the dogs, home. My wife and the boys stay till Saturday so I can get some work days in.

Tomorrow’s Rudolph gift opening will be recorded, but not posted till later when I can append it to a shave video. Hopefully Wednesday or Thursday. I will get photos up ASAP though!

A merry Christmas Eve to you all!

Christmas shave:

Gear: Gillette Slim (setting 2), Personna Platinum blade (4), Yaqi SF synth, La Toja shave stick soap, generic witch hazel, Fine Platinum AS, and Fine Platinum EdT to finish!

Stayed overnight at the in-laws. I’ll be heading home (for work) with the dogs tonight while my boys and wife finish out the week here.

Great fun catching up on everyone’s videos, journals, and Rudolph buddy gifts this morning! I opened mine for sure!

5189C8E1-0754-46F2-846C-73344BC9158A.jpeg

I videoed it and will attach it to a shave video in the next couple of days. It really needs the video to be fully understood how special this is! I love it!

The shave this morning was decent. A little bit of redness, I’m wondering if it’s from the La Toja? I seem to get it this way a lot on vacation shaves La Toja is really the only common factor. It may also have just been bad for with the Slim. Hopefully it doesn’t last long. Otherwise one can’t go wrong with Fine Platinum goodness!

The 1st of our 3 Christmas celebrations with our different family groups was this morning. My kids have already made out like bandits! They got a ton of fun craft and creativity items...and a stinking PS4! The one item that’s been on my Christmas list for years but haven’t got yet. I think daddy is going to be commandeering that once in a while! I know Red Dead 2 has online aspects, but is it required? There are a number of other games I’ve wanted to play that are single player anyway. :001_tongu

Merry Christmas all!

Day After Christmas Shave:

Gear: RR Game Changer .68, Personna Platinum blade (5), RR Big Bruce synth, SC Commitment soap, generic witch hazel, and Proraso Red AS to close!

Video is up on the Tube, recapping Christmas weekend and my Rudolph Gift Exchange opening!

Day the Day After Christmas Shave:

Gear: RR Game Changer .68, Personna Platinum blade (6), RR Big Bruce synth, SS Citrus & Bay soap, generic witch hazel, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to close!

Just a quick update today.

I received a very fun box of shave gear to try out from the Monkey (@imatabor), all very high class stuff!

5C41536C-086E-4C78-8DF1-5A87F7E744DB.jpeg

The plan may be to use each for about a week, giving each a fair go. I’ll record the first shave with each, give first impressions, then the next week I’ll sum up my experience and do a first use of the next item. I’ll start with the Barber Notch Klaus Tornblum SR, as I’ll likely be shaving with it the least. It is super nice, but the only real maintenance I can do on it is strop it, so I’ll give it a few uses and put it aside to preserve it.

I was really itching to try one out as soon as I saw them, but I miss read the clock in my excitement and thought it was later than it really was, and that I had to get ready for work. Hour off! Oh well...

So just a quick shave with the GC today and I Bay Rummed it up! I’m not complaining though, it was a great shave!

Played some Spider-Man on the PS4 last night. Control feel super complex at the start, but you work into a bit of a groove. It’s pretty fun so far!

The missus and kids are doing well at the in-laws’, though a little stir crazy. My wife has decided to stop her current pain meds and the doc is prescribing her something a little less...inhibiting. She knows it may be a trade off with increased pain, but she really did not like the way it affected her.

Anyway, help me decide / let me know what you’d like to see used next, after the Klaus!

Day the Day After Christmas Shave:

Gear: RR Game Changer .68, Personna Platinum blade (6), RR Big Bruce synth, SS Citrus & Bay soap, generic witch hazel, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to close!

Just a quick update today.

I received a very fun box of shave gear to try out from the Monkey (@imatabor), all very high class stuff!

View attachment 938486

The plan may be to use each for about a week, giving each a fair go. I’ll record the first shave with each, give first impressions, then the next week I’ll sum up my experience and do a first use of the next item. I’ll start with the Barber Notch Klaus Tornblum SR, as I’ll likely be shaving with it the least. It is super nice, but the only real maintenance I can do on it is strop it, so I’ll give it a few uses and put it aside to preserve it.

I was really itching to try one out as soon as I saw them, but I miss read the clock in my excitement and thought it was later than it really was, and that I had to get ready for work. Hour off! Oh well...

So just a quick shave with the GC today and I Bay Rummed it up! I’m not complaining though, it was a great shave!

Played some Spider-Man on the PS4 last night. Control feel super complex at the start, but you work into a bit of a groove. It’s pretty fun so far!

The missus and kids are doing well at the in-laws’, though a little stir crazy. My wife has decided to stop her current pain meds and the doc is prescribing her something a little less...inhibiting. She knows it may be a trade off with increased pain, but she really did not like the way it affected her.

Anyway, help me decide / let me know what you’d like to see used next, after the Klaus!

Your too young to own a Toggle! My address is . . .

Oh, just read your trying it on loan . . .

He said to . . .

It is nice trying out high end items. I expect a 4 page essay :)

Your too young to own a Toggle! My address is . . .

Oh, just read your trying it on loan . . .

He said to . . .

It is nice trying out high end items. I expect a 4 page essay :)

Lol! Only if it can be due after Winter Break teach!

Open Blade Shave #240:

Gear: Klaus Tornblum 5/8 SR, RR Big Bruce synth, CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout soap, generic witch hazel, Lucky Tiger AS, and Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood AS to finish!

Next 4-5 shave videos will focus on some pass around items I’m trying thanks to @imatabor. I’ll be using each item for roughly a week.

First video is up!

Open Blade Shave #241:

Gear: Klaus Tornblum 5/8 SR, RR Game Changer .68, Personna Platinum (7), RR Big Bruce synth, LNHC Coconut Oud soap, generic witch hazel, and RR The Stallion AS to finish!

Starting with the good news - the shave was overall pretty decent yesterday, about 60/40 BBS/DFS, the BBS on some areas lasted nearly 24 hours, as expected from an open blade in certain areas (cheeks mainly). However lathering up this morning I was getting a fair amount of irritation in those same areas.

Ouded it up this morning, nice shave otherwise. The witch hazel took care of any lingering irritation.

Headed off to work soon. The missus and kids should be home a little later today and I’m home early. Should be pretty quiet at work and a decent weekend otherwise!

Happy Saturday all!

Final DE Shave of 2018 and Shave in Memorandum of Honeybee Sue:

Gear: Gillette Fatboy (E2; setting 3), RR Big Bruce synth, Honeybee Cucumber & Melon soap, generic witch hazel, Osage Rub AS, and Pinaud Citrus Musk frag to close!

Video is live.

Last shave of 2018:

Gear: Asylum RX, Feather Pro blade (15), RR Big Bruce, Williams soap (modern; as preshave, CBL Barbershop soap, Barbasol AS, and YSL L’Homme Ultime frag to finish!

Happy New Year’s Eve!

Video is live!

First Shave of 2019:

Gear: Asylum RX, Feather Pro blade (16; flipped), RR Big Bruce, DRH Sandalwood soap, Speick AS, and Mr. Burberry frag to finish!

Happy New Year all!

First, reflections on YSL L’Homme Ultime from yesterday. I forgot to cover it in the video and post. A very pleasant frag. Starts off almost unisex, with a light hearted opening. The manliness comes out more in the mid dry down and the complete dry down. I feel (having only smelled clones mind you) it is a weaker, variant of a Rive Gauche-type scent, closing with a light woody, cardamom, and almost weak vanilla-like feel (vanilla is not an actual note included). I liked it for what it was! I would gladly take this as a gift...buy it? If there was a good deal, maybe. The missus wasn’t as jazzed about it.

Good shave today with the RX! Overall much more smooth and close than yesterday. I almost couldn’t feel the blade on the WTG, partially on the XTG, and it was of course much more pronounced on the semi-ATG. I’m at about 85%+ BBS with bordering BBS/DFS on the rest. Only 1 little nick ATG that closed up quickly. I did an alum test (haven’t used alum for weeks) and had only a very brief, light burn on my upper lip/corners of mouth, which is normal in most cases when chasing.

Great lather with the DRH after blooming and about 30 seconds of loading.

Flipping the Feather Pro each shave seems to be helping the longevity so far.

Now for the day’s frag, Mr. Burberry. The initial spray is intense and moderately deep. I get the cardamom and an edge of the tarragon note. Then it drys down into a more woodsy scent where I get light wood (mostly sandalwood) with a light vetiver string. This scent is modern gentleman-class! This is the only frag out of the 5 I tried where the missus said “Oooh, that’s very nice!” This would be a must buy.

Regardless of the missus’ proclamation, here is my ranking of the frags I received:

1) Terre D’Hermes - a must buy.
2) Mr. Burberry - a must buy.
3) YSL L’Homme Ultime
4) Le Labo Bergamote 22
5) Ferragamo Uomo

Happy Tuesday all!

Shave 2 of 2019:

Gear: Asylum RX, Feather Pro blade (17; flipped), RR Big Bruce, Cella soap, generic witch hazel, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

So I did shave today, a 2 pass CCS, but it was in the evening. This morning ended up being pretty screwy and I was in a rush to get off to work.

The last couple of weeks have been nice, but because of everything going on, have really thrown me off my normal (non shaving) routine. Today was actually the first time in years I forgot that I had agreed to a different shift at work just for one day. I was supposed to have opened for the normal morning person but the change totally slipped my mind. I ended up being a couple hours late when after my boss texted me to remind me. Super humiliating and embarrassing for me as someone who hold a very high standard in work ethic. But it’s past now, and I made up the difference.

The shave was nice though. A quick clean up after I got off work, before dinner.

A weird Wednesday for sure!

Shave 3 of 2019:

Gear: Asylum RX, Feather Pro blade (18; flipped), RR Big Bruce, Proraso Red soap, generic witch hazel, Man Dom AS, and Ferragamo Uomo frag to finish!

Good shave today with the RX.

I will say that the one difficult thing with SEs is the ability to accurately line up your sideburns. Even with the RX’s dramatically reduced head (as compared the Jefe or General) it is difficult to see exactly where the cutting edge starts. I’ve cut into my sideburns a couple times...nothing serious thankfully!

The blade was a little more present today, a factor of its forced angle, slowly degrading edge, and the lesser slickness of the Proraso I think. It was still a pretty smooth shave though. The total weight of the razor helps a lot when it comes to zero pressure strokes.

Off to work soon...and on time! :001_tongu

Happy Thursday all!

Shave 4 of 2019 - Honeybee Memorial Shave:

Gear: Asylum RX, Feather Pro blade (19; flipped), Yaqi SF synth, Williams soap (modern; as preshave), Honeybee Cucumber & Melon soap, generic witch hazel, Myrsol Formula C AS, and Le Labo Bergamote 22 frag to finish!

Nice second tribute shave today for Sue, marking about a month since her passing. All the elements played together nicely, making for a great, fresh, green scented experience! It’s nice to be able to do something in memory of another rather than just observe or attend something.

I’m becoming more comfortable with the RX every use! It is a great razor, but I still find myself asking if it’s worth the price tag, and honestly I just don’t know right now. I have 2 more shaves with it officially, then I’ll be moving on to the coated Brass General for a week’s evaluation. I’ve been greatly anticipating / looking forward to it’s usage!

Happy Friday all!

Perfect description

A shame! I vastly prefer my synths to boar or badger right now for ease of use and versatility.

Though I’m having a somewhat custom badger made for me in the next couple of months. I’m hoping I’ll at least come to enjoy badgers again.

A shame! I vastly prefer my synths to boar or badger right now for ease of use and versatility.

Though I’m having a somewhat custom badger made for me in the next couple of months. I’m hoping I’ll at least come to enjoy badgers again.
For SR shaving I am quite conservative. I don't vary my tools / approach. For DE I am more tried. I like my Razorock Big Bruce and various Badger brushes as well.

Top Bottom