What's new

First SR, razor emporium or whipped dog?

I'm looking for my first straight, I see whipped dog on here a lot just worried about the rust on those, also see the beginners razor on razor emporium.

Suggestions on first purchase?

Larry at whipped dog is a stand up guy and will always help ya if you have an issue or a question about anything. He is always an email away and takes great pride in his work, his products, and the hobby. I wouldnt make another choice if your starting out in the hobby and need advice in choosing the right razor or equipment other then Larry at whipped dog. He's even answered some concerns on blades Ive bought off the Bay and has been a great asset and friend to have in my corner.

Just FYI "SE" on here will generally refer to a single edge replaceable blade type razor, similar in looks to a double edge razor.

I would buy your first razor from Whipped Dog and buy the cheapest one available. They will be shave-ready so you don't need to worry about rust.

Larry is a champion. I got my 1st razor from him. He looked after me even knowing I’m all the way in Australia. It’s a big yes from me for whipped dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have edited your thread title to bring it into line with your question.

In any case- if you ask for xxxxxxx or RE, I will always answer xxxxxxx. A Forum search will provide some background.

I think you will be well served by either. There's little to no meaninful difference in how razors perform . Honed the same way they will shave the same way.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Larry stopped doing the sight unseen razors but he has razors at various price levels. Anything he sells will shave okay. A bit of rust or corrosion or patina are not going to affect the shave at all unless it is pitting or very heavy rust right at the edge.

For a first razor, I recommend a vintage, unrestored but shave ready razor at $50 or less. Any ordinary hollow ground razor of normal size and shape from a good maker will be fine. Later on you will probably develop preferences in grind, size, etc but for now just make sure it is honed well enough to shave with.

Avoid any razor from Pakistan but some Chinese razors are adequate if properly honed. Otherwise avoid any new razor coming in at much under $100. I particularly recommend against entry level Dovos though the better Dovo razors can be quite good, particularly the Bismarck style razors. Whatever you get, it needs to ship to you shave ready, or else you will need to have it honed. Generally the factory "edge", isn't.

I have all my gear from WD. I don't look beyond him for straight razors or accessories. His stuff always delivers and he's not a mere vendor. He's a guy who will cultivate your SR shaving journey by walking with you ! Also pick up his excellent badger brushes..my favourites in that department too !

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yeah, I have 3 of Larry's big 30mm silvertips and they are a very nice brush for the price. And you don't have to wait on them to ship all the way from China. I will say this, though. The bigger Virginia Sheng brushes are good quality too and a couple bucks cheaper. But it is excruciating to wait so long ,for them to arrive. So Larry is now my brush guy.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Larry honed my first razor. Great guy to deal with. Also you can pick up his “Poor Mans Strop” you will chop up while learning to strop for a low price.

Larry put what I call a benchmark edge on the sight unseen razor I purchased when I first started. It's the kind of edge I've always been chasing and trying to achieve when honing. Just sharp and smooth, no resistance ATG. I cannot recommend him highly enough for your first straight.

I do like to recommend tony miller's vanilla strops for your first rather than the poor man strop. Yeah, you might knick it up a little, but a little sandpaper and buffing and it is back to work. Due to the thickness of the vanilla strop, I don't see them as being prone to being cut the way the poor man is. My 2 cents.

I've been happy with everyone of my transactions with Larry at Whipped Dog. His pre-sale and post-sale service are both superb.

Top Bottom