What's new

First slant suggestions?

Don't take this Yaqi for a general rule with slants.

Slants like Merkur 37c / 39c are quite permissive and indeed protects you from nicks and cuts even if you are not careful. They allow you to get an efficient shave in a 1 minute with a single pass if you do desire.

Actually I think these slants above should be recommended as firt DE razor more often, as they are so efficient, safe and works well with almost all blades. I have a lot of Supermax Stainless that I can only use in slants, as they are so bad in other razors.

Yaqi Slant is a completely different blood thirst beast. The only thing in common is that it is a razor with slanted blade. Nothing else.
Great info. I know this is an oft asked question and old debate but do you have a preference between the handle of the 37c vs the 39c? I see the 37c handle is identical to the 34c however I find the 39c handle quite handsome and I do consider the look of the shaving tool as part of the whole experience. I have a EJ-89 which seems to be the same length of the 39c sledgehammer and I’m able to use it. My 34c gives me the most consistent shaves (paired with the right blade of course) but that darned sledgehammer looks pretty.🙂

Great info. I know this is an oft asked question and old debate but do you have a preference between the handle of the 37c vs the 39c? I see the 37c handle is identical to the 34c however I find the 39c handle quite handsome and I do consider the look of the shaving tool as part of the whole experience. I have a EJ-89 which seems to be the same length of the 39c sledgehammer and I’m able to use it. My 34c gives me the most consistent shaves (paired with the right blade of course) but that darned sledgehammer looks pretty.🙂
Big vs small handle is a matter of personal preference. I can shave with both equally well but I feel a little better with shorter handles, but I agree the larger is more beautiful.
The small handle, razor is more maneuverable.

I've been using the merkur 37C almost exclusively since 2018. Don't really see the need to get anything else since it's so efficient. I might get the fatip open comb slant next time but the QC issues turn me off.

The 37C really is the gold standard for me together with the Astra SP.

However the 37C is not noob friendly so it's best you learn the techniques with a normal razor first. And no, it's not a blade junkie. Some blades are total crap with the 37C. I don't know where you all got these ideas from.

Another vote for the German 37. It's my favorite of the 4-5 slants that I have. The others aren't bad, it's just that the 37 has a little something extra that makes it special. The only thing I could find to complain about is that the handle is a little fussy, as others have mentioned. And the price is right.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
For the Wunderbar letting the weight of the razor, meaning a bit weight/physics from the handle, do most of the work is just right.

There are not only long and short handles, titanium, brass or steel also influences the shave.

It also depends on grip and style. I mostly shave steep and grip the whole handle and need a long handle, otherwise I not only have the small finger but the ring finger aa well under the butt of the razor.

Be it heavy or light, steel or titanium, in general I always prefer longer handles and shave with few strokes and an aggressive razor.

Shavers using many tiny and quick strokes usually go with light and shorter handles.

If you have some experience and are used to aggressive razors.
I recommend RR's WUNDERBAR for a slant razor.
It is smooth and very efficient if you let the weight of the razor do the work for you.

I would add that the WUNDERBAR is high on RR's aggressive chart, but
It is a slant razor that is more smooth than aggressive.

If you handle it roughly, it will bite you, but that's because it doesn't respect an efficient razor.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The 37C really is an excellent choice. I have one as well as a German 37 and while the Merkur gets Old Skool Style Points sometimes I prefer the RazoRock version because I can use a handle I like a bit better.

Merkur used to make the 36 as well as the 37 -- it was a three-piece (what Merkur calls a "short screw"). With reference to the other Merkur slant in current production, the 39C, I had a 38C some years ago and it was an OK razor although not a slant. I had some minor troubles with the barberpole handle "screwing" itself down in my hand if I had a spot of soap on it. That pretty much put me off barberpoles, although I've had and used some that were fine by other makers. I tend to prefer diamond knurling.

Congrats on the new razor!

O.H.

My slant has arrived! 😀. Just the look and feel of it fill me with confidence. A really beautiful and hefty razor.

813AAFFA-7908-4642-A9BC-C9F75CA53AC6.jpeg

I’m Cranky James and I want a slant!

Rather than start a new thread I’ve been absorbing the good info provided here and I’m ready to make my move.

I’m going with the Merkur 37C. My best performing razor is my Merkur 34C HD so it seems like the logical choice. Not to mention the great reviews here. I also feel like this purchase may be the one that finally makes me complete. 🙃
Heck of a razor! It will serve you well and my be the last razor you ever need. I love mine, can’t remember where it was numerically definitely not 1, absolutely sure it wasn’t the most recent (27 total… I think) but it was there some where and I love it! 😉

Top Bottom