What's new

First shot at this

Okay, so I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. I came on this board to ask a few questions. It started that I purchased a DOVO razor...was not honed at all. It hurt a little to shave with it. A kind soul on this board, Wid, sent me some lapping film. I found a frame at a local "if you've been to Astan you know the term" shop. So, away I was setting the bevel and honing my razor. Way better! I love the straight. Due to location and time, I cant do it use the straight every day (It takes me 20+ minutes...slow and deliberate). So, another kind gentleman, cpowill, sent me and some new wet shaving buddies some supplies: arko shave foam, badger brushes, alum blocks, and even 2 DE razors. So, I didnt have the time for the straight yesterday. I went right for the DE. It's a feather popular. To me, it is sexy. I like the black and chrome style. The long handle fit great in my hand. I used the arko, lathered up, and set to work. It was so smooth. I got a few cuts. I think I am too heavy handed. I use a fair bit of force when I used cartidges too. However, the cartridge didnt cut me. Needless to say I loved it. A little alum block, arko after shave lotion and good to go. It's so low maintenance. So, I now have my shaving plan settled. For day I have more time, I will use the straight. Every other day, I will use the DE. So, in summary, thank you to badger and blade for all the help and input. And a special thank you to two true gentlement who helped set this Soldier straight...ha. get it?

-Frank

Okay, so I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. I came on this board to ask a few questions. It started that I purchased a DOVO razor...was not honed at all. It hurt a little to shave with it. A kind soul on this board, Wid, sent me some lapping film. I found a frame at a local "if you've been to Astan you know the term" shop. So, away I was setting the bevel and honing my razor. Way better! I love the straight. Due to location and time, I cant do it use the straight every day (It takes me 20+ minutes...slow and deliberate). So, another kind gentleman, cpowill, sent me and some new wet shaving buddies some supplies: arko shave foam, badger brushes, alum blocks, and even 2 DE razors. So, I didnt have the time for the straight yesterday. I went right for the DE. It's a feather popular. To me, it is sexy. I like the black and chrome style. The long handle fit great in my hand. I used the arko, lathered up, and set to work. It was so smooth. I got a few cuts. I think I am too heavy handed. I use a fair bit of force when I used cartidges too. However, the cartridge didnt cut me. Needless to say I loved it. A little alum block, arko after shave lotion and good to go. It's so low maintenance. So, I now have my shaving plan settled. For day I have more time, I will use the straight. Every other day, I will use the DE. So, in summary, thank you to badger and blade for all the help and input. And a special thank you to two true gentlement who helped set this Soldier straight...ha. get it?

-Frank
Frank, first of all thank for serving in the military. And now for your official welcome to the DE shave world. This will be an exciting journey as you discover more razors and you get better at shaving w DE razor. Just ask any question that you may have and enjoy the fun.

So, I now have my shaving plan settled. For day I have more time, I will use the straight. Every other day, I will use the DE. So, in summary, thank you to badger and blade for all the help and input. And a special thank you to two true gentlement who helped set this Soldier straight...ha. get it?

-Frank

Thank you for your service. There are lots of tutorials here, if you have the time. Yeah, carts are much more forgiving than DE blades. Been at this since May, and I constantly need to remind myself to use a light touch. It can be a hard habit to break. Enjoy your shaves!

Alex and Greybeard,

It is my pleasure to serve! I love it! The whole process of DE/Straight shaving is so much better. It feels less like a chore than the "normal" shaving. Are there savings? In the long run maybe. But I am more interested in the process and enjoyment.

-Frank

Lots of thanks for serving! The guys on this site are awesome. I bought my first straight and an honing stone from Wid and he was very patient with my questions. Yeah, man! I just had my first straight shave last Sunday and the focus needed to keep from hacking my face to bits was really cool and exhausting at the same time. Everyone says it takes a while to get good at it and I plan on sticking with it. Good luck bro!!!

Are there savings?

It's easily possible to enjoy significant savings with DE shaving, compared to cartridge shaving. The only hurdle is Acquisition Disorder; you may well find yourself wanting to try out various different shaving products. It's a slippery (lathered up) slope!

Thanks for your service, and it's great to hear that you're getting decent shaves. Are you able to get decent DE blades out there? As for saving money, if you keep it light, it can be very inexpensive. 100 blades, which can take you through at least a year's shaving, should be no more than fifteen bucks. The straight is, as you know, more of a high up-front cost, and then just needs time and attention. Delighted to hear that there are other wet shavers out there, too.
Take care,
-- Chet

Okay, so my first 3 DE shaves were with the Feather Popular and a POLSILVER blade. Smooth skin...but a bit of blood. The blade seemed rusty after the second day but I used it on the third try also. There was less blood and it was less smooth. Today I tried the Feather blade that came with the razor. Smooth. Still blood. I used the alum block that cpowill included in his care package. That thing is AMAZING! Stopped blood quickly and left no marks. Its a miracle really. Then I applied the Arko aftershave. Good stuff too. Now, I know I am still a bit heavy handed, but will the bleeding after a shave stop? Is it do to the blade or still operator error. I assume operator error since this was only my 4th try. I am using short strokes, ATG and then WTG. The problem areas are my upper lip and neck...which makes sense. Any guidance or input would be appreciated.

--Frank

Oh, cpowill's care package came with two DE razors. A fellow Soldier got the other one. We both bought straights but dont have time to use them everyday and this is a great alternative. He found a bit of sensitivity too. Not enough to deter us. This whole wet shaving is a way better life style for me. Makes me enjoy the daily shave.
-Frank

Okay, so my first 3 DE shaves were with the Feather Popular and a POLSILVER blade. Smooth skin...but a bit of blood. The blade seemed rusty after the second day but I used it on the third try also. There was less blood and it was less smooth. Today I tried the Feather blade that came with the razor. Smooth. Still blood. I used the alum block that cpowill included in his care package. That thing is AMAZING! Stopped blood quickly and left no marks. Its a miracle really. Then I applied the Arko aftershave. Good stuff too. Now, I know I am still a bit heavy handed, but will the bleeding after a shave stop? Is it do to the blade or still operator error. I assume operator error since this was only my 4th try. I am using short strokes, ATG and then WTG. The problem areas are my upper lip and neck...which makes sense. Any guidance or input would be appreciated.

--Frank
Frank, try to focus on prep and technique. Short baby hook strokes. Also, just do 2 passes and concentrate on beard/stubble removal only. After a few days/weeks when you more experience then concentrate on BBS shaving results.

Oh, cpowill's care package came with two DE razors. A fellow Soldier got the other one. We both bought straights but dont have time to use them everyday and this is a great alternative. He found a bit of sensitivity too. Not enough to deter us. This whole wet shaving is a way better life style for me. Makes me enjoy the daily shave.
-Frank
I am happy for you and your fellow soldier. You deserve it.:thumbup:

Alex, you speak of face prep. What should I be doing? I splash a little warm water on my face, work up a litle lather with my arko shave foam, apply, and shave. What else should I be doing?

Alex is the man! As a newbie, I'm also interested in reading his reply.
Here's what I learned, so far, about prep...
Prep is all about softening the beard and building the right lather.
Facial hair absorbs water but, it takes 3-5 minutes. Once your beard has absorbed enough water, it becomes easier to cut. When it's easier to cut, you get less razor burn and nicks. This is why most people shave immediately after a shower and why hot towels are used in barber shops.
The lather should not be too thin (watery) or, too thick. It's trial and error until you find the thickness that suits you. Too thin and you don't get any protection. Too thick and well, I like it thick so, I never had any problems caused by a thick lather while DE shaving. A thick lather made it harder for me to shave with a straight - the blade wanted to stick to my face.
Also, the angle is important. To help visualize the correct angle with a DE, picture holding your razor with the handle parallel to the floor. Touch the top of the razor to your side burn area and make short, half inch strokes while moving the razor North to South. While making the short, N to S strokes, slowly drop the handle towards the floor until the razor just starts removing stubble. This is the correct angle. The correct angle will help prevent razor chatter and reduce nicks.
I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Frank, you say you are doing ATG (against the grain) and then WTG (with the grain), but I hope in the opposite order i.e. WTG first. Perhaps forget ATG and try WTG & XTG (across the grain) till the technique improves.
The neck is always a difficult area for me. Moving your head about to get the flattest surface to work on is always helpful. Mantics59 on youtube has some very useful video guides on wet shaving from which you learn a great deal.

Invicta,

Yes, I didnt mean with the grain then against the grain. Had more success today. Used Ajax parallel to the ground then adjust until it just starts to shave. I can clearly see I had an angle that was only going to draw blood.

The first time I DE shaved, I had the angle backwards... I started with the blade (not the handle) parallel to the floor and wound up hacking my face to bits! That's when I started searching the internet for tips and stumbled upon B&B.

Top Bottom