What's new

First Shine on New Shoes

I have a new pair of leather boat shoes. Any suggestions for conditioning and shining these? Anything different that you do on new shoe leather beyond the shoe shine basics?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a new pair of leather boat shoes. Any suggestions for conditioning and shining these? Anything different that you do on new shoe leather beyond the shoe shine basics?
I'd maybe use a neutral polish. Lol, I recently purchased a pair of shoes that were ridiculously cheap at a second hand store that are in need of their first shine, and as I have no polish in this particular color, neutral it is.

That's why I recommended what I did for you, since it's all about me, lol.

Steps as follows;
  1. Hit it with Saddle Soap
  2. Hit it with Mink Oil/Paste or Leather conditioner
  3. Polish

leather boat shoes

They make special creams designed for "conditioning" boat shoes. I would not polish boat shoes. To me they should have a matte look/finish.

That said, I have some Allen Edmonds Maritime boat shoes supposedly made of Horween chromexcel leather that I would be happier with if they were less shiny. Nice leather, but I just do not think shiny is the right look. I have no objection to saddle soap, mink oil (I guess), and, I supposed, regular shoe conditioner.

<Anything different that you do on new shoe leather beyond the shoe shine basics?>

For regular dress shoes, I do not do anything different from what I do for regular shoe shines, but I am pretty obsessive when I am taking my time for regular shoe shines. Saddle soap and/or cream conditioner maybe. Saphir Renovateur, for sure, if I have it, Saphir Medailler D'or 1925 wax--I do not usually bother with cream shoe polishes and this wax is very soft and nutrient rich, and probably some Saphir mirror gloss on the toes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom