What's new

First Shine on New Shoes

I have a new pair of leather boat shoes. Any suggestions for conditioning and shining these? Anything different that you do on new shoe leather beyond the shoe shine basics?

I have a new pair of leather boat shoes. Any suggestions for conditioning and shining these? Anything different that you do on new shoe leather beyond the shoe shine basics?
I'd maybe use a neutral polish. Lol, I recently purchased a pair of shoes that were ridiculously cheap at a second hand store that are in need of their first shine, and as I have no polish in this particular color, neutral it is.

That's why I recommended what I did for you, since it's all about me, lol.

Steps as follows;
  1. Hit it with Saddle Soap
  2. Hit it with Mink Oil/Paste or Leather conditioner
  3. Polish

The Knize

Moderator Emeritus
leather boat shoes
They make special creams designed for "conditioning" boat shoes. I would not polish boat shoes. To me they should have a matte look/finish.

That said, I have some Allen Edmonds Maritime boat shoes supposedly made of Horween chromexcel leather that I would be happier with if they were less shiny. Nice leather, but I just do not think shiny is the right look. I have no objection to saddle soap, mink oil (I guess), and, I supposed, regular shoe conditioner.

<Anything different that you do on new shoe leather beyond the shoe shine basics?>

For regular dress shoes, I do not do anything different from what I do for regular shoe shines, but I am pretty obsessive when I am taking my time for regular shoe shines. Saddle soap and/or cream conditioner maybe. Saphir Renovateur, for sure, if I have it, Saphir Medailler D'or 1925 wax--I do not usually bother with cream shoe polishes and this wax is very soft and nutrient rich, and probably some Saphir mirror gloss on the toes.

Last edited: