What's new

First shaving brush glueing Knot Size help

Sorry, absolutely no experience with silicone, only with 2-part epoxy.

Me neither, but I'm considering going with silicone on the 2 I'm getting ready to set because from what I've heard you get most of the permanence of epoxy without having to drill out the knots to replace them. Quarters are just easier than finding and cutting cork, and it seems like with something like silicone, they would actually be easier to remove than cork.

I would like to use kork rudy,
my plan was,when the knot arrives,
to cut off a slice of kork according to the loft i need,and then glue it into the handle with epoxy and make a new "bottom".
And after that dries,glue the knot onto that with epoxy.

does that sound like a good plan?

are there any tips,how i could make sure that the bottom is even?
Should i glue the knot directly onto the kork slice,or put another "layer" of epoxy over the new kork bottom so it is protected from water getting in?

is this kork diameter okay,or should i use a diameter,that is smaller than the handle? this one just fits right into the handle

thanks

greetings

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I would like to use kork rudy,
my plan was,when the knot arrives,
to cut off a slice of kork according to the loft i need,and then glue it into the handle with epoxy and make a new "bottom".
And after that dries,glue the knot onto that with epoxy.

does that sound like a good plan?

are there any tips,how i could make sure that the bottom is even?
Should i glue the knot directly onto the kork slice,or put another "layer" of epoxy over the new kork bottom so it is protected from water getting in?

is this kork diameter okay,or should i use a diameter,that is smaller than the handle? this one just fits right into the handle

thanks

greetings
I find it easier to add glue, cork slice and then the knot set in glue right onto it. Cut the slice so you get the loft you need for the knot to be installed. Do a few dry-runs to make sure the height will be right. The cork slice has one big advantage: if someone wants the knot changed and is drilling the old knot and glueplug out, the drill bit will not hit hard metal, just the cork. If one is the original owner, he might be remembering the metal, but some sell bruhses and then the new owner does not know. I have run into a few cases in the last years, and the results is not good if a big forstner bits hits a quarter or a washer....ask me how I know!!

Hello Everybody ,

i just wanted to make a quick update,the knot arrived,and after a few hours of precise work, the brush was finished,

with all the taxes and costs,the brush ended up costing well over 200 dollars,but i think it was worth it,

it is the first bigger brush in my collection,

thanks again to everybody for the advice,

Greetings

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 30
Top Bottom