What's new

First shavette shave!

Hey all! After a while of toying around with honing and restoring straights while picking up my SR technique, I found a great deal on a shavette and got one as a "control group" to benchmark the above. I havent had such a bloody shave in a month or so :p
I believe I must be applying a lot more pressure than I realised when using my SRs ~ Which in turn leads to believe me they must not be as sharp as I thought. What confuses me the most is the fact that I tried the HHT which my razors pass handsomely, but the shavette actually didnt!

Would you gents be able to help me confirm the cause of these cuts?

Cheers!

Ps: dont mind the stubble, this is as close of a shave as I ever get unfortunately!
Edit: Read some interesting info in the forum and definitely will lower my angle next time compared to my SR. Mod should this be in the SR forum? Please move if inadequate.

Last edited:
Pics below!

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_143751.jpg
    IMG_20200701_143751.jpg
    834.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200701_143740.jpg
    IMG_20200701_143740.jpg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 15
What kind of shavette and what sort of blade? I use 1/2 DE blade shavettes and typically a very flat angle and a very light touch. I get 4 to 5 shaves before changing the blade (typically a Feather).

My better shavette is a Focus R28. The other is an inexpensive Chinese folding handle style in my travel kit. They both shave me well.

My other advice for both SRs and shavettes is to use a very wet lather. I also use a lot of face contortions for skin stretching.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Seg85 a shavette can be a great tool to learn the gentlemanly art of SR shaving. It is unforgiving if you have the wrong technique.

Sounds like you are now starting to learn. Congratulations.

Congrats on your first shave & having your head still attached!
:a29:
Be sure to check out the Straight Razor section of the forum. Lots of helpful folks hang out over there. Keep up the good work. The good news is it does get better!

Hey all! Using Derby Professional Shavette Half Blades atm and a "Bluebeards revenge" shavette. I'm definitely happy to go back to my SRs now that I had the chance to compare their edges to a "Can't be sharper" kinda deal. Will probably keep the shavette as a travel one due to how convenient they are tho! Very very happy that my SRs with a steeper angle are giving me the best shave I can get and keen to continue learning!

Thanks all for the encouragement, this is the first shave with a shavette but I've been learning with a SR. Problem was I was learning with the SR as I was learning how to hone so I was left without a good benchmark. Can now safely say that I can put decent enough edges ¯|_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds like your angle of attack is off. You generally need a more acute angle with a shavette than a traditional straight

Sounds like your angle of attack is off. You generally need a more acute angle with a shavette than a traditional straight
Thank you! I'm gonna give it another shot next time. It's not gonna beat me, I'll get a comfy shave and then switch back :p

Congrats on your first shave with the new kit!

My guess (taken with more than a grain of salt as it has been awhile since I used anything but a DE) is that either your angle is off or that you are using too much pressure.

I suggest you check in with the guys on the straights forums, especially the SR clinic, as they are the real experts!

Thanks all for the encouragement, this is the first shave with a shavette but I've been learning with a SR. Problem was I was learning with the SR as I was learning how to hone so I was left without a good benchmark. Can now safely say that I can put decent enough edges ¯|_(ツ)_/¯

This was exactly my motivation for getting my first shavette. Enjoy the trip! Maybe we'll see you on the SR forum. There are lots of differing opinions, especially about honing, but it is generally a very friendly spot.

This was exactly my motivation for getting my first shavette. Enjoy the trip! Maybe we'll see you on the SR forum. There are lots of differing opinions, especially about honing, but it is generally a very friendly spot.
Agreed everyone is really friendly! Shavettes seem like a good alternative for travelling but I'm definitely going back to my SRs now that I got the benchmark I wanted :D Can't beat that beautiful weight on them!

If I may offer advice from a shavette lover's perspective:

1. Use a pre-shave oil. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy. A dime size amount of plain olive oil will greatly reduce irritation, and help the blade along. Pay special attention to the area around the bottom of your neck. Pour it into your hand, rub hands together, pat it on like aftershave, and once you've got full coverage, gently rub it into your face. Wash and dry your hands, and then apply lather like normal.

2. Lightly drag the edge of a new razor blade, a couple of times, across cork, a foam egg container, etc. before the first use, to remove microscopic burrs and give less scratchiness.

3. Once the blade is loaded in the shavette, lightly round the corner points of the razor on the rough bottom of a coffee cup, so that you don't accidentally poke your face with it. From those pictures, it looks like you may have done that a few times (we all have). Rounding the corners is a great way to smooth the shave out when changing angles.

...and try shaving with cold/cool water instead of hot.

Last edited:
Thanks mate! Appreciate the pointers, would never have thought of purposely dulling the ends and removing burrs! I'll give it a shot next time. May I ask how many times do you reuse the blade?

Cheers

Thanks mate! Appreciate the pointers, would never have thought of purposely dulling the ends and removing burrs! I'll give it a shot next time. May I ask how many times do you reuse the blade?

Cheers

I use a German Wilkinson blade, and bin it after 5-6 shaves. The blade is still going strong, but I don't want to wait until it starts tugging.

Top Bottom