What's new

First shavette shave.

Well just finished my first shavette shave and it went perfect or so I thought. After my first pass I felt my cheeks and they were already as close as I get from a 3 pass DE shave. I went to check my neck and as soon as I looked in the mirror I noticed a little bit of red forming and then more red. I managed to cut myself 4 good times without even realizing it. Looks like ill have to be stubbly for the next couple days until they heal.:blink:

I'm thinking the two smaller cuts are from the edge. The bigger ones look like I dug into my skin somehow. The thing that blows my mind is I didn't feel anything.

Funny enough, just finished a shave with my 2nd shavette, the Miraki. I do cut myself a little, but frankly that is down to me getting ahead of myself TBH. The one thing I have noticed, is that there seem to be less "edging bites" than there is with a shavette that takes a DE blade... One of the main reasons I suspect, is that due to the greater blade length I have more middle to use... So either knowingly or unknowingly, I avoid heeling or toeing. I still get caught out when I go at it with an overly agressive angle.

Think ill just use it to shave my cheeks chin and upper lip and use the DE for my neck until I gain more confidence lol.

Ha ha. Right on cue, this post nudged me to use my shavette to do a touchup this afternoon. Just a little light finishing on my jaw. Less than one minute -- one cut. Took several applications of the styptic to get it to stop bleeding.

Ok. This seems to be a sign. Except for the flats, I am not ready for a straight or shavette. Not one bloodless shave yet.

Ha ha. Right on cue, this post nudged me to use my shavette to do a touchup this afternoon. Just a little light finishing on my jaw. Less than one minute -- one cut. Took several applications of the styptic to get it to stop bleeding.

Ok. This seems to be a sign. Except for the flats, I am not ready for a straight or shavette. Not one bloodless shave yet.

Yup I've noticed the cuts don't like to stop bleeding for a long time lol. My boss asked if I had been in a knife fight on Friday. Walked into work still bleeding :mad3:

I know i'm still a newbe on shavette shave(20) but the advices i could gave to you are simple light touch=almost no pressure and be careful of the angle. When you first put the blade on your face lay it flat as much as you can and set you angle around 20 to 30 degres but for the first shave a 20 degre is more than enough. On the trouble spot like under the nose and the under lips, chin area its really important to watch your angle and of course taking your time whit light touch and to let the blade cut the wiskers. Gino

@RayC1993 - can I ask, have you considered using a less aggressive blade? Know many people dismiss the Dorco as it seems blunt and a poor shave even compared to a week old cartridge....
however, they are (note: for my experience with them) an extraordinarily forgiving blade... Which for someone who is still experiencing the steepness of the learning curve that is shavettes.... may be a consideration.
Also found Derby to be quite well mannered, again YMMV.

@RayC1993 - can I ask, have you considered using a less aggressive blade? Know many people dismiss the Dorco as it seems blunt and a poor shave even compared to a week old cartridge....
however, they are (note: for my experience with them) an extraordinarily forgiving blade... Which for someone who is still experiencing the steepness of the learning curve that is shavettes.... may be a consideration.
Also found Derby to be quite well mannered, again YMMV.

All I have is dorcos and 1 shark blade. And I'm broke till next Friday.

All I have is dorcos and 1 shark blade. And I'm broke till next Friday.
Ah yes, one of the more universally known issues; too much month at the end of the money.
Life would be so much nicer if that sentence was the other way round :blushing:

You can get the single edged Derby blades for a silly dirt cheap price....Amzon does them for around £3.50 a box (approx $5) of 100. At 5 cents a blade, that's a pretty good deal. The price per blade (PPB) just improves the more you get.
True, they're not as well mannered as the Dorco... however, in my experience they are far more tolerant of "rookie methods" than Sharks. Which TBH, are a good blade (IMPE a bit of a 2 pass wonder); but the margin for error is very ​thin.

Funny, I always notice when I do something hairbrained, like lay the edge right on my face. I get an immediate sting from the Feather Pro. And then what amounts to a paper cut type wound takes almost a week to heal on it's own.

Ah yes, one of the more universally known issues; too much month at the end of the money.
Life would be so much nicer if that sentence was the other way round :blushing:

You can get the single edged Derby blades for a silly dirt cheap price....Amzon does them for around £3.50 a box (approx $5) of 100. At 5 cents a blade, that's a pretty good deal. The price per blade (PPB) just improves the more you get.
True, they're not as well mannered as the Dorco... however, in my experience they are far more tolerant of "rookie methods" than Sharks. Which TBH, are a good blade (IMPE a bit of a 2 pass wonder); but the margin for error is very ​thin.

Oh yeah and got to love being paid biweekly :mad3:

My most recent shavette shave resulted in a cut on the chin. It was from an excessive blade angle (too much gap between the spine & my chin). You can calm the razor edge a bit by making one very light cut across a pink eraser edge but no more than one. I usually have the least amount of shaving mishaps with my Feather Artist Club. Not sure why. What's worse than the cuts is having to wait for healing until the next shave!

Top Bottom