What's new

First Shavette Shave - Won't Be My Last

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After mastering the basics of SR shaving with my Titan T.H.60, I thought that I would give a shavette a go. After reading a few threads of the pros and cons of each type, I decided on what I would try and ordered. My stainless steel shavette (under USD 3 + 2 shipping) arrived in this morning's mail.

SS Shavette.jpg
I fitted a half Gillette Rubie blade, preped as normal and gave it a try.

IMG_20200123_122527.jpg
It was a pleasing result. Not as much feedback as the Titan. The shavette was not quite as smooth WTG and XTG but a little smoother ATG than the Titan. I will have to do some work on the Titan's edge once my lapping films are set up and diamond pastes arrive.

With a shorter and narrower blade, I found the shavette to be easier to use in those tight spots. More strokes were required overall however and the razor needed to be cleaned of lather much more often. Only three very small weepers. This was to be expected on my first drive of a shavette. The weepers immediately cleared up with application of my local facial toner as an after shave.

Overall I find the shavette interesting to use, but not as much fun as a real SR. I enjoy the full SR challenge more.

Last edited:
Reactions: abj
Overall I find the shavette interesting to use, but not as much fun as a real SR. I enjoy the full SR challenge more.

While they are a good bit more expensive, a Feather SS Artist Club razor with the Artist Club Pro blades will give you a very “straight-like” experience without the maintenance.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
While they are a good bit more expensive, a Feather SS Artist Club razor with the Artist Club Pro blades will give you a very “straight-like” experience without the maintenance.
Agreed, I have the Feather AC DX and it is much like a straight - a fantastic but extremely sharp and unforgiving straight! Very expensive though and cannot use half DE blades.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yes, but the "maintenance" is one of my joys in SR shaving. Being in the Philippines you soon learn that time means nothing in life. Just live for the enjoyment.

Reactions: abj
When I did my Shavette phase, I also tried a Fromm "hair shaper" that uses longer blades, they're a lot like an extra-long Gem blade. Easier to find than Dovo "cabinet" blades or AC-style blades, but also much closer to a straight razor in length. The body itself is super-cheap folded metal, but it works surprisingly well. If I could get a nicer holder I think I'd use this blade exclusively.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When I did my Shavette phase, I also tried a Fromm "hair shaper" that uses longer blades, they're a lot like an extra-long Gem blade. Easier to find than Dovo "cabinet" blades or AC-style blades, but also much closer to a straight razor in length. The body itself is super-cheap folded metal, but it works surprisingly well. If I could get a nicer holder I think I'd use this blade exclusively.
I am very limited in what blades are locally available. Only one place sells blades and only Gillette Rubie. Any other type of blade is almost impossible to get. That is one of the things that limited me in shavette type.

Top Bottom