What's new

First shavette shave, maybe last

If you have an old whetstone, use it to dull the corners.

Also, try to get a Weck or at least one of the "hair shapers" that use the single-edge blades with a spine -- much better than a DE-style.

Actually, my 1st shavette was a Weck clone and got a good shave without incidents. Funny thing, when I showed my purchase in another forum, a shavette "expert" jumped and told me that those things can't shave well because the metal comb ... And I love that I can use it to trim and flatten my hairy sideburns using that comb...

Cheers

I started with shavettes before using straights. Tried the typical DE type, but then started using the Dorko with the long blades. Liked the longer edge and the thin blade holder is very easy to manoeuvre.

After shaving exclusively with straights for about a year I tried the Parker shavette with Derby half blades again, and I was very impressed. Now that my technique is better, it gave me a great shave.

I also have a Feather AC, very nice shaves, but I struggle to get more than four shaves out of a blade. Good thing about the Feather AC SS is that it is definitely more forgiving than a DE shavette.

If I rank the three in terms of ease of use Feather AC SS would be easiest, then the straight, then the Parker with a half DE.

If I rank them in terms of closest shave, the Parker would be closest, with the AC and straights about the same, depending on the edge of the straight.

Most of the 1/2 DE shavettes on the market have exposed corners. Something like the Focus R28 Slim Al or Vanta enclose the corners and make the razor much easier and safer to use

+1
I use a Focus R21 and the corners are very well shielded.
Threw in half a brand new feather last night and got an amazingly
smooth and visceral shave with absolutely no irritation.
The only part where straights and shavettes don't deliver 100%
perfection for me is the neck.

Yeah, if I remember correctly the 2 nicks I got were from the corners of the blade. I still haven't shaved with it for a 2nd time...keep buying straights and can't put them down long enough for round 2 with the shavette.

When I do though, I'll dull the corners before proceeding.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I definitely use a different technique with different shavettes and straight edges.

1. Half DE blade - shorter strokes very light touch
2. Feather DX, Kai, or very refined Method edge straights - longer lighter gentler strokes
3. Feather SS - I ride the lip and use fast sweeps.
4. Coticule edge straights - basically all bets are off - I use multiple strokes, sometimes buffing like with a supported DE.

For me it's risky jumping from a coticule edge to a very sharp shavette. I like to have a step shave the day before: highly refined natural / pasted edge. The shaving technique is too different - I need a transition shave between.

That's just me. Everyone else round here seems to have less trouble switching. YMMV.

So the other day I decided to grab the shavette again. I dulled the corners of the blade and went easy. No blood, but I was rushed and ATG under the chin/jaw was a little irritated. It was a decent shave.

I can understand why someone that enjoys the shave of a straight would use one to avoid the honing and stropping I suppose.
I have to say though, for me, the honing and stropping are part of the experience.
There's not a whole lot more satisfying than taking an old rust bucket pitted mess that's been lying in a drawer for decades and making it wipe the whiskers off your face effortlessly.
That satisfaction just isn't there with a shavette, nor the challenge of getting that effortless comfortable edge on each razor.

To each his own.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My barber uses a shavette, which is why I bought a straight. I always had to come home and shave with my DE because the barber shave was never close enough. I'll never have him shave me again.

Top Bottom