What's new

First shave

Yeah, the triangle on the base of the razor is lined up with the notch on the curved top plate. I remember seeing a picture about some specific direction the razor blade itself is supposed to be placed in the Progress, but I can't seem to find it, nor can I figure out how that would make a difference.

A clue to this puzzle:
Using Scotto's clue, I tried shaving some hair off of my arm, and I couldn't do it with the way my razor was set up. I could only do it when I readjusted the progress as follows:

Tightened progress all the way down. This ended up on a 1.
Then, instead of loosening two or three notches up to a 2.5 or 3.5, I went a whole circle around, and set it to the next 2.5. At this point, I could cut some hair off of my arm. Thoughts?

sirion said:
Yeah, the triangle on the base of the razor is lined up with the notch on the curved top plate. I remember seeing a picture about some specific direction the razor blade itself is supposed to be placed in the Progress, but I can't seem to find it, nor can I figure out how that would make a difference.

A clue to this puzzle:
Using Scotto's clue, I tried shaving some hair off of my arm, and I couldn't do it with the way my razor was set up. I could only do it when I readjusted the progress as follows:

Tightened progress all the way down. This ended up on a 1.
Then, instead of loosening two or three notches up to a 2.5 or 3.5, I went a whole circle around, and set it to the next 2.5. At this point, I could cut some hair off of my arm. Thoughts?

I don't know what to tell you other than something is seriously wrong. I have a Progress and once you tighten it down to 1 and then back it to a mid setting 3 or 4 there should be pleanty of blade exposure. Either your Progress is defective or you are doing something very wrong.

I got out my Progress last night, tightened it as much as I could, and had no problem shaving some hair on my arm. Very odd. When you look at the razor from the side, what does the blade exposure look like relative to the safety bar? I tried to get some pictures of mine for you to compare, but couldn't get good ones. I'll try again later. Just to be really sure, you might want to pop a new blade in and try again just to rule that out.

Well that's disheartening; I thought I might have figured out the problem and solution. Here are some pics of my razor head. Excuse the mess; I havent figured out how to clean it (water doesnt seem to do the trick):

Fully tightened (1):
proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's my razor head, loosened to a..erm..7.5?
proxy.php

Stuck a new blade in, can't see any difference, but I can cut hair at fully closed. Maybe I'm going crazy. Time for shave 3.

Sirion,

I don't use the Progress, so I can't help with figuring out the shaving problem, but I do have a suggestion on the cleaning situation. I change my blade once a week. While I have my Classic HD disassembled, I use an old toothbrush and a dab of Soft Scrub with Bleach, then lightly scrub down the entire razor.

Best of luck!

Randy

Well that was the closest shave I've ever had. Hurray!
Setting of 3.5, a couple of nicks, a little burn, and a really, really close shave.

Thanks for all of the help. I wish I knew better what went wrong during the first 2 shaves, so that someone might be helped with a similar problem in the future. Of note, Scotto's 'shave some armhair' idea was a pretty good diagnostic tool.

Glad to hear sirion!

Now stop rubbing your face in amazement. (No, I don't have a hidden camera on you). :wink:

-Nick

Glad things are working for you...I'm really baffled by this post...and I won't even comment on how I must be misunderstanding. I don't have time to read the whole thing right now but let me just say this:

I personally do not recommend using any DE without cream on your face....for any pass. I do this with a straight but never a DE...you mention doing this and you mention irritation. I must apoligize as I must have missed something (because no one else mentioned it) but in my opinion thats the problem...sorry in advance if thats not what you meant in your first post

Hi Gabe,
After looking at the pics I can guess what may have happened the first time or two. If and when it appears that the razor isn't shaving, very carefully holding the razor to ensure that if doesn't slip and slice you, squeeze the top of the head down toward the base of the head twixt thumb and forefinger once or twice, as though you were squeezing a sponge or compressing a spring and allowing it to return. The idea is to ensure that the head seeks its proper setting and isn't binding on soap scum, etc. Sometimes these razors tend to be a bit stiff when new or loaded with soap scum.

Looking more closely at your pictures, something looks odd, though it may just be the picture. If you look at the blade thickness, it seems much thicker in the middle than the edge. Look in particular at your second picture - something doesn't seem quite right, almost like there is something else in there with the razor blade. Then again, I may be imagining things. I'm glad it is shaving now, though.

I use a toothbrush and some Bartenders Friend (abrasive cleaner I use in my kitchen) to clean up the razors every now and then.

Scotto said:
Looking more closely at your pictures, something looks odd, though it may just be the picture. If you look at the blade thickness, it seems much thicker in the middle than the edge. Look in particular at your second picture - something doesn't seem quite right, almost like there is something else in there with the razor blade. Then again, I may be imagining things. I'm glad it is shaving now, though.

I use a toothbrush and some Bartenders Friend (abrasive cleaner I use in my kitchen) to clean up the razors every now and then.
Hey Scotto,
Those are the tabs in the center of the blade. They point upward as the blade is flexed into a curve by the razor head.:a28:

here is a picture of my first shave....

This is my Vision set on 9 with a Feather blade.....

I am doing better now....I had to learn just like you.....

mark the shoeshine boy

Top Bottom