What's new

First shave with the New!

After waking up early this morning to give myself some extra time, I took the New out for its trial run. Let's start with the obligatory loadout pic.
20171017_200103.jpg

I must say that I am pretty sure this is going to be my daily driver. I love the weight and balance. I could tell right off that the razor was more aggressive than any of my others, which I had been looking for and indeed why I bought it in the first place. I definitely felt blade on skin to a degree I was not accustomed to, but that's part of it I suppose.

It was a great shave...possibly the closest BBS I've ever had. However, it did come at the price of several weepers. This is probably due a little to the fact that it's a new razor and a LOT to the fact that I decided to use a brand new Feather instead of a Shark. Not sure why I made this decision. The rational part of me said "Hey guy..might want to dial down the sharp factor here while you get used to the new razor". But the curious and danger-loving part of me simply said "I feel the need...the need for sharp!".

Needless to say, I had to call in the Boo-Boo Brothers afterwards:

20171018_070938.jpg

But all in all, an awesome razor that I'm pretty sure is going to be my favorite!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, congrats! Won't be your last.

NEW Long Comb (LC) shouldn't be carving you up ... perhaps some inadvertent pressure with that new Feather?

Also, first shave with a lot of blades, you have to "cork it" with your face- i.e., knock the wire edge off with stubble.

LC is an awesome shave, true middle-of-the-road, IMHO, and a good baseline to compare anything else with.

I also think LC is the go-to for trimming actual hair with length- beard, nape of neck or anywhere.

AA

After waking up early this morning to give myself some extra time, I took the New out for its trial run. Let's start with the obligatory loadout pic.
View attachment 830053

I must say that I am pretty sure this is going to be my daily driver. I love the weight and balance. I could tell right off that the razor was more aggressive than any of my others, which I had been looking for and indeed why I bought it in the first place. I definitely felt blade on skin to a degree I was not accustomed to, but that's part of it I suppose.

It was a great shave...possibly the closest BBS I've ever had. However, it did come at the price of several weepers. This is probably due a little to the fact that it's a new razor and a LOT to the fact that I decided to use a brand new Feather instead of a Shark. Not sure why I made this decision. The rational part of me said "Hey guy..might want to dial down the sharp factor here while you get used to the new razor". But the curious and danger-loving part of me simply said "I feel the need...the need for sharp!".

Needless to say, I had to call in the Boo-Boo Brothers afterwards:

View attachment 830059

But all in all, an awesome razor that I'm pretty sure is going to be my favorite!

Congrats, @Big_Tex! I like my Long Comb 'NEW' also, mostly for its efficiency, even though the Gillette OC's are not my favorite Gillettes. Now the Short Comb variety is especially aggressive, IMO, and not my cup of tea.

Maybe the Feather wasn't the prudent choice for the first time out, but I'm sure you will soon get used to it.
Yours is a nice example of the NEW LC. Mine has the ball end handle. I have it on deck for tonight's shave.

Very nice! I love me some Gillette OC razors, haven't tried a new yet though. That will be changing shortly :001_302:

Congrats on the new razor.

Give it some time, the New LC (or SC) require no pressure. I've found a slightly shallower angle (handle a bit farther from your face) than most modern razors seems to work best and give a surprisingly comfortable shave. I've been using Rapira Platinum Lux blades in my LC, and found Gillette Nacets or GSBs to be really smooth in my SC, which will be the next blade in my LC.

BTW, I think the LC shaves a bit more comfortable with the right angle, but the SC is slightly more efficient. - Sorry Rabidas, I know this goes against your preaching, but I find the LC slightly smoother with the correct angle, and hardly ever any irritation or weepers.

Top Bottom