What's new

First Shave With The Merkur Progress

After getting my 34C, I saw no reason to get another razor for years. But curiosity got the better of me. I read so many positive reviews. But I'm glad I bought it. It really is a great razor and worth the price. Do look at getting one. I don't think you'll regret it.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk
I bought mine this summer when the rumors flew that Merkur was being purchased by another company, and the possibility floated around that the Progress would no longer be made (or made in the same way). I'm glad I did. It's my most beautiful razor, with that ivory knob reminding me of the control knobs on a 1950s Mercedes dash. Even on its mildest setting it planes me off just fine.

My only complaint with the company is that their "instructions" do not tell you to tighten the knob all the way down before you set the razor to your preferred mark. Every place on the 'Net that I visited in my research failed to mention it -- except here, of course. My first two shaves with the Merkur felt as if a lion cub were licking my face with his rough tongue. After the membership here informed me about the complete tightening needed, I've had most excellent shaves with it.

I bought mine this summer when the rumors flew that Merkur was being purchased by another company, and the possibility floated around that the Progress would no longer be made (or made in the same way). I'm glad I did. It's my most beautiful razor, with that ivory knob reminding me of the control knobs on a 1950s Mercedes dash. Even on its mildest setting it planes me off just fine.

My only complaint with the company is that their "instructions" do not tell you to tighten the knob all the way down before you set the razor to your preferred mark. Every place on the 'Net that I visited in my research failed to mention it -- except here, of course. My first two shaves with the Merkur felt as if a lion cub were licking my face with his rough tongue. After the membership here informed me about the complete tightening needed, I've had most excellent shaves with it.
Yeah it's important to tighten all the way down.

I've been using 2-2-2 for all 3 passes so far.
Might have to liven things up, and use the adjustment to advantage?
and try a 4-3-2 and see how it goes...

My one critique of the design is that dang little impressioned dot indicator is so hard to see,
especially when things are "soapy".... Might see if I stick a drop of red nail polish on it, if it will stick.
Is this one of the upgrades that happens with a "mergress"? I wonder...

Congrats and happy birthday! I just love my progress, although I use it sparingly because of it being made of zamak but still always an absolute joy to use it.

Congrats and happy birthday! I just love my progress, although I use it sparingly because of it being made of zamak but still always an absolute joy to use it.
Thank you mate. I'm currently shaving daily with it. But there will definitely come a time when I'll use it sparingly as you are doing.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
....that dang little impressioned dot indicator is so hard to see,
especially when things are "soapy".... Might see if I stick a drop of red nail polish on it, if it will stick.

I went with green paint, it sticks for awhile ...

full

I've been using 2-2-2 for all 3 passes so far.
Might have to liven things up, and use the adjustment to advantage?
and try a 4-3-2 and see how it goes...

My one critique of the design is that dang little impressioned dot indicator is so hard to see,
Is this one of the upgrades that happens with a "mergress"? I wonder...
That's what I did 6 months ago. A tiny dab of red nail polish applied with a tooth pick. Keep in mind too that the Progress is infamous for the calibration being different from razor to razor. Example: a 3 might equal a 2 on another Progress. All one can say is a certain reading applies to his razor only.

I love the weight of it... and it does give a great shave.

Some folks disregard it, because of its "pot metal" construction,
but I say, if you own multiple razors, are you really going to wear this thing out?
The Merkur website reports that the Progress has a brass handle and alloy head, which would be comparable to the Parker Variant construction.

Happy birthday @Mark1977 on wonderful gift you patiently waited for almost 20 years and am glad it did not disappoint. Wonderful to see through the pride and emotion on your review of all those years you moved up in life !! Best of luck brother :a14:

Happy birthday @Mark1977 on wonderful gift you patiently waited for almost 20 years and am glad it did not disappoint. Wonderful to see through the pride and emotion on your review of all those years you moved up in life !! Best of luck brother :a14:
Thank you for the lovely message. Have a great weekend. Stay safe mate.

Top Bottom