What's new

First Shave with Streamline

I just purchased a near-mint Streamline set from my friend Mountainsea, and wanted to tell my experience with this fabled razor.

I just finished the shave, and it was BBS. However, I experienced a fair amount of alum block sting and two tiny weepers. All in all, I figure that the Streamline is closer to a GEM 1924 or a MicroMatic than to an Ever Ready 1912. It’s not terribly aggressive, but it wasn’t as comfortable as a 1912, and certainly not as easy to use as an injector.

That being said, I didn’t have any difficulties using it, and I chalk this shave up to a new blade (I didn’t cork or palm strop it), and not being familiar with the razor. It wasn’t a bad shave—I’ve had LOTS worse—and I think it will improve as the blade settles in and I gain familiarity with the razor. I feel like I was using a little too much angle on it, and I should use shorter, slower strokes. Otherwise, it was a very good shave.

And Blimey, it surely is a beautiful razor. I think, with a little practice, that I can really get to like it.

Thanks, Mountainsea.

Last edited:
What Blade? I think it's more aggressive than the 12 and 24 by a wider margin, especially with a carbon blade. Funny you got weepers and stings but don't think it was agressive. Killer razor, my favorite. Keep playing with it, you really get a lot of control to make it mild or aggressive with blade angle and pressure. Takes some time but I bet as you use it you will find it superior to all other SE razors.

Stainless with PTFE. I thought it was aggressive, but I don't think it was particularly harsh. I attribute the very small weepers and the sting to a new blade and my inexperience with the razor. It is much heavier, and a little clumsier than the injectors that I'm accustomed to, but I don't think it will be difficult to sort out. To me, aggression means efficiency at cutting stubble--and it was certainly very good at that. As I said, I believe with a little practice I will really enjoy it. I already like it very much, but it is not as easy to use as my Type D through G Schicks, and we will need to spend a little time together to become better acquainted.

Try the CVS Carbon blade, They are kind of a pain because you have to take it out and dry it completely or it will rust but the shave is better than the stainless PTFE's

Stainless with PTFE. I thought it was aggressive, but I don't think it was particularly harsh. I attribute the very small weepers and the sting to a new blade and my inexperience with the razor. It is much heavier, and a little clumsier than the injectors that I'm accustomed to, but I don't think it will be difficult to sort out. To me, aggression means efficiency at cutting stubble--and it was certainly very good at that. As I said, I believe with a little practice I will really enjoy it. I already like it very much, but it is not as easy to use as my Type D through G Schicks, and we will need to spend a little time together to become better acquainted.

I've thought about that, but there is no place within 150 miles of where I live that carries SE blades of any sort. I hate to order a single pack of blades just to try them because the shipping would cost more than the blades. However, the next time I'm near a Walgreens or something that carries the blades, I will try to snag a pack. Thanks for the advice.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I've thought about that, but there is no place within 150 miles of where I live that carries SE blades of any sort. I hate to order a single pack of blades just to try them because the shipping would cost more than the blades. However, the next time I'm near a Walgreens or something that carries the blades, I will try to snag a pack. Thanks for the advice.
Steve; Connaught Shaving has good shipping prices even if you get 10 blade dispensers of PTFEs. WCS has 10 packs of Blue Stars which I also use in my Streamlines. Mountainsea is wonderful help as you already know; an outstanding fellow member! Like the Injectors you helped me with, you will find the Gem blades also last a long time.

There are a few razors that IMHO give top-tier shaves They include the Schick Types D, E, F, and G, the PAL Injectomatic, and the Feather injector. With a few more shaves, the Streamline might make it into that select group--I certainly think it likely. However, to me, the Cobra Classic is in a class by itself. I don't use DEs very much, and none of the ones that I have tried fit into the top-tier category for me. I'm sure that there must be some, but there are too darned many to try them all. Of course, everyone's MMV, but that's my take as of today.

Good on you, Sir! Our beloved 1912s really are the family saloon; the Streamline the marque, dare I say Rolls Royce? It does need a little handling. I can rip a Streamline around my face with the same abandon that I might a 1912 and enjoy that rasping noise, further, I enjoy the weight.

I think that is the key to the Streamline. He's a heavy handed friend who'll shave you well once he gets to know you.

Good fun. I hope you play with this guy a lot - he's a fun fellow!

Excellent Steve. I didn't think you were the Streamline kind of guy more of the injector camp. I've had similar experiences with certain razors just as you did with the Streamline. It took me a long to time to get the hang of the 1924. Once you get the hang of a particular razor you will appreciate it even more. Nice going on the Streamline!

Well, Joe, this one just jumped out of the bushes at me, and I couldn't pass it up. I enjoy SEs along with my injectors, but like all razors, some are better than others. Based on the legend, I had to try a Streamline--and I must confess I am impressed. I don't want to be hasty, so I'll have to give it a longer trial, but so far it seems to be competitive with some of my favorite injectors.

Top Bottom