What's new

First Shave with Schick Type F

After reading a post by my friend Alan (Coolbus18) about his first shave with his new/old Schick Type F, and how much he enjoyed it, I decided to put my recently-purchased, near-mint Type F to the test. As with any new-to-me razor, I checked that the blade was shiny and evenly seated, then prepped and lathered, and started to shave.

Good God Almighty, it was really bad. It scraped and pulled, and wasn't cutting any hair at all. I stopped at my jawline thinking that I had bought a damaged razor, then I decided to check again. The day was overcast, and one of the light bulbs in the ceiling fan was burned out, so I went to a room with more light. Using a magnifier, I checked the blade, and I could faintly see "MADE IN USA" printed on the edge of the blade, just above the bevel. Because I had bought the razor more than a month before, I realized that I had forgotten to put a new blade in it. The razor was only made for a few months in 1940 and 1941, and I realized that the blade could be as much as 73 years old. It was last used several years before I was born. :w00t: I racked a new Chick blade into it and encountered a fair amount of resistance in ejecting the old blade, but I went back to my shave and started all over again.

This time it was wonderful, just as Alan described--as aggressive as a Type E, but very, very smooth. The rest of the shave was delightful, and I emerged with a BBS, with no nicks, weepers, or burn. In fact, the shave was as good as I can get with my Cobra Classic, which means that it was epically good.

I can highly recommend the Schick Type F injector--and I can also recommend that you don't check your razor in dim light before shaving.

Color me embarrassed. :blushing:

I would love to get my hands on an F Type, if nothing else for the aesthetic appeal. What a good looking razor.

I wonder how many can say they've shaved with a blade older then themselves, whether on purpose or accident. ;)

Wow! It shaves like a smooth E and looks like it's from The Great Gatsby.
Is the F actually the ultimate razor?
I want one :)

Wow! It shaves like a smooth E and looks like it's from The Great Gatsby.
Is the F actually the ultimate razor?
I want one :)
Hiya,

A fair question. You know my DEF so no it's not to me and only because it doesn't open and that's about it But in terms of which to me there's no best amongst themThe D is like a straight, the E_1 and 2 a tad milder and then the F. I still don't know which I'll shave with until it makes that sound. I think it's worth it to have them all because somedays my skin says, No,no,no use that . So I like the choice of having 3 slightly different razors as my mains

@Steve--Whoa that opened up downright scary. Glad you're diggin it. The F is another I would build today for a new injector. I haven't used a Cobra yet. So Why would I want to and they are way bloody expensive and what would I gain? I've hit shaving Nirvana for me. Enjoy your week all!

@Steve--Whoa that opened up downright scary. Glad you're diggin it. The F is another I would build today for a new injector. I haven't used a Cobra yet. So Why would I want to and they are way bloody expensive and what would I gain? I've hit shaving Nirvana for me. Enjoy your week all!

Hi, Alan. I guess it's like owning an Elephant Gun. It doesn't really accomplish more than other guns, but it sure is impressive. :laugh:

You have a good week, too.

I am a bit late to this post I have been having terrible computer problems. Congratulations Steve on your new score. It seems both you and Alan have one of the most coveted and pricey jewels of the injector world. Seeing that it's similar to an E this gives me an idea what to expect. In time I will hunt one down $$$

I am a bit late to this post I have been having terrible computer problems. Congratulations Steve on your new score. It seems both you and Alan have one of the most coveted and pricey jewels of the injector world. Seeing that it's similar to an E this gives me an idea what to expect. In time I will hunt one down $$$

Glad you could make it, Joe. If you can get one, by all means grab it. You will not be disappointed.

BTW, I snagged one of the fabled Feather Injector razors, unused, as a part of a grooming kit. It still has the blank in it, and it comes with a 5-blade injector containing Feather blades. Keep looking, my friend, because there are some still out there.

@Turtle I would love to post some pics, but I have yet to figure out how to do it on this forum. Every time I try, all I get is the address of my pic on my computer, and that doesn't do any good.

I'll try again with pics of the Feather Injector (I don't have any pics of my Type F).

$Feather Injector Razor.jpg$Feather Injector Razor 4.jpg$Feather Injector Razor 5.jpg

When you guys describe the razors as aggressive, do you mean efficient? I only ask because its difficult to imagine something being both aggressive and smooth.

To me, aggressiveness means being good at cleanly cutting whiskers on the first pass of the blade. Smoothness means no pulling or tugging. So it is possible to be both aggressive and smooth. I suppose that also means both efficient and comfortable.

To me, aggressiveness means being good at cleanly cutting whiskers on the first pass of the blade. Smoothness means no pulling or tugging. So it is possible to be both aggressive and smooth. I suppose that also means both efficient and comfortable.

Thanks for the explanation. That clears things up a bit. The word aggressive makes me think that it is somehow more dangerous than other razors, that it will cut you with the slightest slip of concentration.

All blades start out very sharp, and you can cut yourself with any razor if your technique isn't developed or if you lose concentration. Many gents on the forum actually consider that an aggressive razor and/or blade is actually safer than a dull blade in a mild razor. With that combination, you have to take some chances to get a decent shave, and that can lead to trouble. Just take your time and concentrate on pressure and angle, and you'll be OK with an aggressive razor or blade.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Steve; I certainly agree! That's why I don't use the word "aggressive" in describing a razor. People can be aggressive, razors can't!:w00t::biggrin1:

Before I started using a Schick injector I was using a Merkur 37c slant and before that OC's. Same wordage was used, But what I learned from a member was to use the word , efficient, instead of aggressive. Slants have a "scary" rep which was wrong. OC's have that rep as do SE's. All undeserved.
@Mike--you're right about people being aggressive and not razors. at least imho.

Top Bottom