What's new

first shave with schick krona....wow

So I was reading a thread here about the most efficient smooth shave and someone said this razor so I bought it off ebay and first shave with it last night, ever since I got a feather as-d2 years ago I stopped using everything else. Shaved with a med prep blade I had around 5 days growth, decent shave but the next day my face feels amazing and smooth haven't had this feeling before blown away can't wait to try a feather in it, thanks for the recommendation boys!

Funny you should mention. 😜

I literally just received my NOS Krona this afternoon and shaved with it tonight. My packaging said 1971, which is my birth year. That may or may not equate to the razor's manufacture but...close enough. It's an awesome shaver and I'm very glad to have it.

sk_pkg.jpg

Funny you should mention. 😜

I literally just received my NOS Krona this afternoon and shaved with it tonight. My packaging said 1971, which is my birth year. That may or may not equate to the razor's manufacture but...close enough. It's an awesome shaver and I'm very glad to have it.

View attachment 1641789
Wow! That brings back some memories. I shaved with a Krona similar to that way back when I first started. It was a good razor to learn with and it was almost free at the time.

Like a Super Speed doped up on smooth pills.
Yes, indeed!

I have used my 3rd generation Krona (or Schick DE - not sure, and doesn't say Krona) for 3 days. I love it!

No offense to Gillette, but apparently flooding the market and a huge advertising budget really does sway public opinion more so than results or personal experience. My Krona beats all my Gillettes for comfort, and seems to cut easier, too. I wish your mileage would not vary.

My TTO doors, font looks a bit modern:
20230426_092732.jpg

My Vintage collection (that is a Red Tip missing its Red Tip, not a regular SS):
20230426_092713.jpg

And me humble den:
20230426_092422.jpg

Glad to hear your shave from the Schick is so pleasant.
That's been my experience as well.

But I hate to burst your bubble on the "Red Tip", the knurling is standard '50s flare tip

Red Tip has a slightly thicker handle and knurling like this below:
full
Hm. Well, maybe I PIF'd the wrong one! Thanks for straightening me out, sir.

Once upon a time I had a Red Tip that I tried to restore the red on,, and it went poorly. I then removed the paint and never followed up. Maybe I gave it to a friend by mistake. I did have a regular SS at the time, and I have not paid much attention to my razors in a couple of years. I have thought many, many thoughts since then! Lol!

I appreciate it!

Krona Shave 4 -

Blade: Treet Platinum(1)

Never used on of these blades before. Not buying 100 just yet...

Still easy and good shave, but not quite as comfortable as the Nacet.

Still lovely, though!

The Krona is on my list to try out sometime.
Meanwhile, I'm awaiting the delivery of a 1960 Super Speed Flare Tip today. This whole vintage thing fascinates me and I'm surprised at how many are still available and how doggone good they are.

So, I am still at it with my Schick DE and now I also have a metal knob Schick.

After a month and a half, I still love these Schick razors.

For me, I have found that I get weepers with Nacets, Platinum, GSB's and even Astra SP's, as well as Shark Chromes. But even with the weepers, the shave is better than it is with Big Ben blue blades, Lord Racer, ST300, Lord Platinum Sword, orange Asco, Derby, and some others.

The best blades I have found FOR ME with this razor are Lord Silver Stars and Lord Cools. These do not silently slice like the Gillette's - those are like ninjas. I hear the Cool and Silver Stars cutting, it sound and to a degree feels more like scraping, but is in no way uncomfortable. That makes me think that these are not as sharp, but they are very, very smooth and comfortable. My skin is less irritated at the end of the shave, too, and hardly ever any weepers.

I want to shave every day, and this allows it.

So, why the weepers? I bet I still push too hard, but the Lord Silver Star and Cool blades allow it.

That is my theory.

...So, why the weepers? I bet I still push too hard, but the Lord Silver Star and Cool blades allow it.

That is my theory.

It's difficult to say from a distance, but I would think it was something you are doing with the razor, rather than the blades causing it. The blades may make the problem better or worse, but aren't really the direct cause. Weepers are usually caused by too much pressure, shaving angle out of optimal range, lack of good slick lather, etc. Most weepers occur on the neck, and that area often has whiskers growing in several different directions. The temptation is to press hard to get close, but it is better to try multiple passes in several different directions with very light pressure.

It's difficult to say from a distance, but I would think it was something you are doing with the razor, rather than the blades causing it. The blades may make the problem better or worse, but aren't really the direct cause. Weepers are usually caused by too much pressure, shaving angle out of optimal range, lack of good slick lather, etc. Most weepers occur on the neck, and that area often has whiskers growing in several different directions. The temptation is to press hard to get close, but it is better to try multiple passes in several different directions with very light pressure.

I was not meaning to blame the blades, I figure I press too hard. All I meant was that the sharper blades (primarily Gillete blades) seem to make me pay for it more than the Silver Star or the Cool. I take full responsibility, just stating my observations with different blades and weeper results. I do not claim to be a shaving master. :badger:

Top Bottom