What's new

First shave with RR Baby Smooth (aluminum)

The Razorock Baby Smooth arrived yesterday and I had a chance to shave with it yesterday afternoon. I was very pleased with the experience and the outcome.

I was expecting it to be quite light inasmuch as it is made of aluminum, so the weight was no surprise. It appears extremely well made and I have detected no manufacturing flaws. With the first stroke, my first thought was, “I must have gotten the angle wrong, because the blade didn’t even make contact with my face” – but it turned out I was wrong about that. I had gotten the angle correct, and it cut down the hair; it had only felt as if nothing had happened. It also had sounded as if nothing had happened; audible feedback Is fairly low.

The rest of this first WTG pass proceeded similarly, as did the XTG pass. On the ATG pass, it was more obvious that the blade was making contact with skin and with whiskers; I could feel some resistance to the razor’s motion. However, it remained comfortable.

Most important, it produced the closest shave on my neck I’ve ever experienced. Like lots of guys, my neck is the trickiest area to shave. I can’t get even a reasonably close shave without going ATG on the neck, so for me, a key test is how a razor can shave ATG on my neck without producing irritation or blood, and how close it can cut while doing so. The Baby Smooth is the best so far; it was just as comfortable as the Ikon 102 but it shaved noticeably closer. The Ikon, though it does a better job on my neck than any of my others, did not get it completely smooth; running my hand ATG would always reveal some stubble. With the Razorock, I felt no stubble remaining.

As a matter of personal preference I would rather it were a little heavier, but as long as it keeps performing like this, I can easily live with the absence of mass.

Very glad I spent $40 on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The RR Baby Smooth is one of the few razors I'm not afraid to use for multiple passes on my neck. It's so gentle, yet still efficient, that it doesn't leave me with any irritation.

I have the Ti version, but I assume both versions are fairly similar in how they shave.

I got the aluminium version about a month ago and quite like it. It's the first of my 15 razors which I can definitely tell doesn't agree with all blades (really doesn't feel right with voshkods). Good razor nonetheless.

Of all my 14 DE razors, it is the only one that does not agree with me. That is not a shot at Joe, IB or RazoRock. I enjoy many of their other products.

I have both the Al & Ti Baby Smooths. First off, they shave the exact same for me, that is wonderfully.

The Titanium takes care of the weight during the shave while the Aluminum is a nice speedy nimble razor. Both bend the blade beautifully (Merkur Progress/Variant) eliminating any blade chatter.

The reason the BS works for me (even with heavy daily beard growth) is I use this DE as instructed. A daily driver or two day beard reduction with a nice sharp blade. I don't play games and load a blade that has been used 3 times already. The finest ATG DE I've ever used. It's in the head design.

If I want multi day reduction or a fast shave, that's easily provided by my Wolfman, Charcoal L2, Mergress or Parker Variant.

The Baby Smooth stands with any my above razors when used as directed.

I got a Baby Smooth as part of a trade, pretty much ignored it till quite recently. Color me impressed, I have been getting some outstanding shaves with it. I have the aluminum version, am experiencing a touch of RAD for the titanium ...

Top Bottom