What's new

First shave with Mitchell’s Wool Fat

Please do try it you won't regret it, people don't realise that when you get near to the end the soap is well-hydrated that's why they get outstanding lathers from it.

So it's worth the time in the first place to hydrate it to start with, I had my doubts at first and I thought what the hell what have I got to lose. So i gave it a go and it opened my eyes to it and what the gent said was bang on, But if you had the MWF dish you would see how much it does swell, but give it a try and post back here with your results and how much you love the fat....

The puck did seem to expand and take on the water it was soaked in, however, still not a good lather this morning. I used a dry brush, loaded it for close to a minute and slowly added tepid water but it still make a lather more like soap suds that dissipated. The underlying slickness was still there so with some Proraso Green added I got a good shave but just not a good MWF lather. I'll stick with it this week and try a scrubbier brush that I can face lather with and see if that helps.

My first puck of The Fat is coming to an end. While I’ve had some good lathers with The Fat, I’ve had many more mediocre lathers. Since the initial bad lathers that were watery and dried before the pass was complete, most lathers have been hydrated enough to last well through the pass without drying out. I’ve had a couple of lathers that were thicker, but most were rather thin. But regardless of the lather, every one was very slick and protected my face well. There was one lather that apparently had too much water. It was not slick, and ran down my face after applying.

I have a new puck of The Fat waiting to drop into the crock, once the remnants of the original puck are gone. I anticipate that will happen sometime in the next two weeks.

A36C0D0B-8DAD-4DD8-96E7-4E40C0D22B8E.jpeg

Lots of water and a stiff brush. Whip it likes it owes you money 😂

Not exactly true, That's what I used to say until told how to lather it, and now I can lather the Fat with a floppy brush all in under 2 mins and have enough to do 15 pass shave.

But you have to hydrate the soap to fit the dish once that has happened then you use it like any other soap, but don't let the fat dry out or you will have to start over again.

Not exactly true, That's what I used to say until told how to lather it, and now I can lather the Fat with a floppy brush all in under 2 mins and have enough to do 15 pass shave.

But you have to hydrate the soap to fit the dish once that has happened then you use it like any other soap, but don't let the fat dry out or you will have to start over again.

I know that’s an option, but I don’t like to bloom soaps if I don’t have to. Some older soaps I’ve bloomed (years ago) went rancid because I was rotating so frequently And not using them enough. Now, I let hard soaps stay hard because I don’t know when I’ll revisit them.

But you are absolutely right that there are many ways to skin a cat!

I know that’s an option, but I don’t like to bloom soaps if I don’t have to. Some older soaps I’ve bloomed (years ago) went rancid because I was rotating so frequently And not using them enough. Now, I let hard soaps stay hard because I don’t know when I’ll revisit them.

But you are absolutely right that there are many ways to skin a cat!

Well in a fashion it's not skinning a cat its the right way to use the fat, as when it was first made they only used one soap unlike us today where we have a choice of say 50+ soaps. So it was always wet and hydrated and that's why they never changed with the times as it works so well, the only thing that's changed is us we have been spoilt by having a vast choice with everything in life.

So that's why so many have trouble lathering the fat and yes I was included until I was told now it makes sense and mine is always ready to go and have not had it go rancid yet.

That has been my experience as well. Keep The Fat hydrated and use a slightly damp brush and it creates an adequate but very slick lather. I have not found another soap as slick as The Fat. I do keep a tub of TOBS Jermyn Street when I decide I want a change, but I don’t stray from the fat more than one day.

The fat is a jealous soap and punishes me if I ignore it for more than a day or two.

That's not exactly true either, sorry to say.

I have used MWF for over a decade (in a large rotation) and I don't soak the puck, nor bloom it prior to use.
I keep it as dry as possible.

I load for 20 seconds and add water as I go. Never had an issue.

I truly love the scent of the fat and how it performs unfortunately I get a really bad allergic reaction to it after every use I'm guessing it's due to the high lanolin content. I stocked up loving the scent but I developed an allergic reaction out of nowhere

The thing is that my old puck came from Maggard's and my well-working sample also came from Maggard's. Tis a mystery. I know that getting a puck from Connaught shaving is cheaper than Maggard's so maybe try that for those interested? I really don't know what the solution might be.
I just got to the end of this thread, not sure if you got a puck from Connaught's or not. Many users in the UK purchased duff pucks from them. I have today written to them, mostly as there does appear to be an issue with MWF from March 2020. Not quite sure of cut off point yet. Older stock seems fine. More research (reading and asking questions) being done.

How long did it take to swell to the dish, As I was talking to them on Friday and they have had no reports of a bad batch? As I get mine from the shop where it is made.

The reason I asked if you had the MWF dish is important because the puck has to swell twice its size and when it fits the dish it's ready.
As one person already mentioned, they don't acknowledge emails. Quite a few people have contacted Mitchells with no reply. If you sell a product, will you acknowledge to a potential buyer there is a problem. Also, as the fat has a reputation of being difficult to lather, many novice users will just attribute their failure to that.

Right a couple of years ago I was talking to an old gentleman in the shop, this was when I first started to use the fat. And he told the secret to the fat soak the puck, that's right soak it, place the puck in the dish.

Then fill it with water until you get a film of water across the top then leave it, then the soap puck will swell to fit the dish. You will get a thin gel on the top now keep checking the soap and top up the water as needed,

Now around about a week, you will see the soap has expanded into the dish, now leave the soap uncovered just to dry the top once it has dried say a day.
Now try it I will post my picture of my new one that's now just about ready to use, this is when the soap has been hydrated so all you will need is a dampish brush load for a few seconds.
Then make your lather on face or bowl, But I will make a video sometime today and put it on youtube. So you can see how this has worked and how much this soap expands in the dish this is why it is important you have the MWF dish. And you must follow this to get the best out of the FAT.

Now you can see the soap does fit the dish without grating or anything just plain water to hydrate the soap, this is now done just waiting for the top to dry a little.

This will give you a fantastic lather 100%
MWF has a reputation of being tricky to lather, possibly due to ongoing poor batches over the years. It's possible that when someone gets a good puck, does various things to get a decent lather, that is then deemed the way to do it, just coincidence it coincided with their bathing it first for a fortnight, or however long. When in reality, they just had a good puck. I get thick yogurt like lather from my puck (from new) without blooming, bathing it for weeks on end, or dribbling the tears of angels on it. It works really well without all that preparation. My puck stays quite dry if I'm honest, in a hard water area (London). If you add water too quick, it's not great and it can be finicky in that respect, you can still get a usable (airy) lather. A bad puck is a bad puck, even with the tears of angles.

This is an interesting ongoing discussion. IMO, the sellers should be told, if they pass these complaints onto Mitchells, they may consider if it's a manufacturing issue such as a new supplier of ingredients or something else causing subpar products.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm sure I've put this in the thread already, but my first puck was a nightmare, until I got through the "crust", but the second lathered great from the first shave.

I accept that different pucks will have different personalities, depending on how its been stored. I think it's the lanolin precipitating, or the puck "sweating" if it gets warm. This gives it a higher lanolin content in part of the puck, and lanolin is more moisture resistant (so sheep don't shrink when it rains :001_tongu ). Of course, that's pure speculation, and I have nothing to back it up. They don't reply to emails from fellow Yorkshiremen either...

It also won't stop me using it I think the great shaves, great post shaves, and very reasonable cost (over here) make it worth putting up with its little quirks and foibles. Then again, while it's been "moody" at times, it's never failed me completely.

I just got to the end of this thread, not sure if you got a puck from Connaught's or not. Many users in the UK purchased duff pucks from them. I have today written to them, mostly as there does appear to be an issue with MWF from March 2020. Not quite sure of cut off point yet. Older stock seems fine. More research (reading and asking questions) being done.

As one person already mentioned, they don't acknowledge emails. Quite a few people have contacted Mitchells with no reply. If you sell a product, will you acknowledge to a potential buyer there is a problem. Also, as the fat has a reputation of being difficult to lather, many novice users will just attribute their failure to that.

MWF has a reputation of being tricky to lather, possibly due to ongoing poor batches over the years. It's possible that when someone gets a good puck, does various things to get a decent lather, that is then deemed the way to do it, just coincidence it coincided with their bathing it first for a fortnight, or however long. When in reality, they just had a good puck. I get thick yogurt like lather from my puck (from new) without blooming, bathing it for weeks on end, or dribbling the tears of angels on it. It works really well without all that preparation. My puck stays quite dry if I'm honest, in a hard water area (London). If you add water too quick, it's not great and it can be finicky in that respect, you can still get a usable (airy) lather. A bad puck is a bad puck, even with the tears of angles.

This is an interesting ongoing discussion. IMO, the sellers should be told, if they pass these complaints onto Mitchells, they may consider if it's a manufacturing issue such as a new supplier of ingredients or something else causing subpar products.

Just to add I have nothing to do with MWF all I have done is pass on the info I have gained, But I will also add that I have no problems with the fat now on my 4th puck 2 was bought online from vendors and 2 was bought from the shop.

And yes I live in a very hard water area plus we have limestone all around us but I still get a fantastic lather, but I am very lucky if I had a bad soap I would take it back to there shop living close has its advantages I guess.

But the next time that I go to the shop I will show them this thread, and ask them outright if they have had bad batches or if they have changed the soap in any way that would affect its performance.

Just to add I have nothing to do with MWF all I have done is pass on the info I have gained, But I will also add that I have no problems with the fat now on my 4th puck 2 was bought online from vendors and 2 was bought from the shop.

And yes I live in a very hard water area plus we have limestone all around us but I still get a fantastic lather, but I am very lucky if I had a bad soap I would take it back to there shop living close has its advantages I guess.

But the next time that I go to the shop I will show them this thread, and ask them outright if they have had bad batches or if they have changed the soap in any way that would affect its performance.

I never thought you had any affiliation with them.

Out of interest, your most recent purchase was in the last few months, is that correct. It's good to know where good pucks are available from.

Water quality doesn't seem to be an issue, more of a red herring when people can't lather it. Let's be honest it can be tricky to lather if you add water too quickly.

It would be good to get to the bottom of potential quality control, or clever marketing. Send out a few duff pucks, discussions on forums peaks peoples interest in the soap. Especially, when there are an increasing number of artisan soap makers out there.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It would be good to get to the bottom of potential quality control, or clever marketing. Send out a few duff pucks, discussions on forums peaks peoples interest in the soap. Especially, when there are an increasing number of artisan soap makers out there.

Never sending out duff soaps would be a better marketing plan.

I can't imagine anyone would consider intentionally defective products to improve sales. Also, they've been around a very long time, and that doesn't happen unless you have a strong base of happy customers.

My first one was bought from the bay second one was from traditional shaving in the UK, and the last two was from their shop in Bradford. The last one was about 3 months ago and it's been hydrating since as I don't bloom the soap anymore as it's been hydrated in its own ceramic shaving bowl.

The only reason I bought from them was I was delivering a load around the corner to where the shop is, as I see it going past so while they were unloading my truck I went in and bought the 3rd puck. That's when I found the info out about soaking the soap first to hydrate it, now I use a damp brush 15 seconds loading then bowl or face lather with fantastic results.

Hence that's why I have passed it on in here and the original thread.

First shave with the new puck was about like the last shave with the last puck. It lathered, but the lather was thin on my face. The good news is that it was not the airy dissipating lather I experienced with the first puck early on.

In an effort of full disclosure, I was a bit airy in the head this morning, so I may not have given it my best try at lathering. The doctor put me on Lyrica and it’s made me very unstable and I’m having issues concentrating. I even started shaving without the blade tightened down. Talk about an aggressive shave!

So, I’ll shave with The Fat again tomorrow and hopefully I will have acclimated to the Lyrica by then.

Never sending out duff soaps would be a better marketing plan.

I can't imagine anyone would consider intentionally defective products to improve sales. Also, they've been around a very long time, and that doesn't happen unless you have a strong base of happy customers.

Not sending out duff pucks would be good. My marketing comment was mildly tongue in cheek. However, having a firm customers base and being around a long time is no guarantee of continued success. Just look at companies like Woolworths, phones4U, Comet in the UK. Traditional shaving is a niche market with many new players.

Top Bottom