What's new

First shave with Mitchell’s Wool Fat

I don't need no stinking photo quality pretty boy glamour shots of my lather. Hehe. I enjoy chasing the ultimate lather like everybody else but have gotten better shaves with crummy looking MWF lather than gorgeous looking lather from other premium brands. I actually lathered up my face the other day then had run off for a few minutes, when I got back to the mirror the lather on my face had all but dissipated. I just wet my razor and went at it as slick and smooth as ever. MWF sure works for me whether it looks good or not.
That has been my experience as well. I guess I’ve been brainwashed to expect creamy lather.

I did manage a yogurt like lather one day, but then ruined it by adding water as everyone says you must. I’m thinking I may have stumbled across something that works for me. Now if I can just duplicate my mistake.

Just to reiterate my findings, I've had two different samples of MWF with vastly different results. I didn't need to bloom or grate for my better result but all I did was use a different sample. Here are the pictures of two comparisons.

View attachment 1125314 View attachment 1125315

View attachment 1125316 View attachment 1125317
THe left side looks like Williams......
If same water content and loading time was used, I would say one is real and the other is fake...

That has been my experience as well. I guess I’ve been brainwashed to expect creamy lather.
Exactly. This stuff came out like 90 years ago or something. I bet it was the greatest thing since sliced bread back then. But I do appreciate the comments and efforts of the members here to help fully utilize it to it's maximum potential.

I've been happily using Mitchells for a few years and it is my all-time favourite for performance. However, the last puck I bought is defective. I think we know there is no point disputing that and arguing about lathering technique, etc. My previous pucks (3 of them) have given me an easy lathering lush and slick lather that lasts for 3 passes and touchup. My current one produces a thin semi lather that dries on my face before I can pick up the razor. I guarantee I haven't changed my water supply or lathering technique at all. There is no doubt that some pucks are defective, even if they became that way during shipping, etc.

One interesting thing I don't remember anyone else commenting; I tried letting it sit with water covering it and the lid on the ceramic bowl for 2 days. When I poured the water off, what ws left on top of the puck was a layer of gelatenous clear material with a slimy texture. I'm not a chemist, but I would guess this indicates that the components of the formula are separating, possibly from heat exposure.

I like the Fat enough that I will try again with a new puck, but probably wait until it is cooler out.

One interesting thing I don't remember anyone else commenting; I tried letting it sit with water covering it and the lid on the ceramic bowl for 2 days. When I poured the water off, what ws left on top of the puck was a layer of gelatenous clear material with a slimy texture. I'm not a chemist, but I would guess this indicates that the components of the formula are separating, possibly from heat exposure.

...and there goes all the slick lanolin down the drain. :)

...and there goes all the slick lanolin down the drain. :)

I'm not sure if you are suggesting that the lanolin, or what ever that layer was, is there because of soaking it. MWF is usually very happy about staying wet. Mine is always damp when I'm done shaving and stays covered with the lid until use the next day. The only way I can understand a layer of anything being on top of the puck is that the soap is no longer homogeneous; some component is likely not combined properly, possibly as a result of heat.

Lanolin is hydrophobic, so I doubt soaking the puck draws it out. It's likely a glycerin heavy soap residue forming and turning into a gel.

The one time I got a good lather was when I went after it with a fairly wet brush and did not add any more water. I ended up with a lather that didn’t dissipate, but was not as thick as TOBS. I’ve been trying to replicate it since that day early this week and have not gotten there. Based on that one experience I think you have to treat these rogue pucks differently than you would a well behaved puck.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The one time I got a good lather was when I went after it with a fairly wet brush and did not add any more water. I ended up with a lather that didn’t dissipate, but was not as thick as TOBS. I’ve been trying to replicate it since that day early this week and have not gotten there. Based on that one experience I think you have to treat these rogue pucks differently than you would a well behaved puck.

Interesting! What have you ended up with instead?

I've used MWF off & on for years, good soap. What I've done with good results is grate roughly a half puck of MWF & half puck of Haslinger Schafmilch into one tub. I learned about doing it right here on B & B. I like that combination much better than either of the soaps by themselves.

I've been happily using Mitchells for a few years and it is my all-time favourite for performance. However, the last puck I bought is defective. I think we know there is no point disputing that and arguing about lathering technique, etc. My previous pucks (3 of them) have given me an easy lathering lush and slick lather that lasts for 3 passes and touchup. My current one produces a thin semi lather that dries on my face before I can pick up the razor. I guarantee I haven't changed my water supply or lathering technique at all. There is no doubt that some pucks are defective, even if they became that way during shipping, etc.

I like the Fat enough that I will try again with a new puck, but probably wait until it is cooler out.
This was the same case for me I finished my old puck, which lathered amazing. Picked up one on Amazon had no lathering ability just bubbles. Picked up another replacement from Maggards same terrible results. I'm hoping the recent ones are a bad batch and not a change in formula! I'm on the hunt for an older one now

This was the same case for me I finished my old puck, which lathered amazing. Picked up one on Amazon had no lathering ability just bubbles. Picked up another replacement from Maggards same terrible results. I'm hoping the recent ones are a bad batch and not a change in formula! I'm on the hunt for an older one now

Do you have the dish, if not get one for MWF and soak the puck until it fits the dish once it fits the dish then try it and see what your results are then trust me but it must fit the dish.

Do you have the dish, if not get one for MWF and soak the puck until it fits the dish once it fits the dish then try it and see what your results are then trust me but it must fit the dish.

I have the dish, soaked the puck, it fits the dish, and that seems to make no difference at all. I'm certain it is a bad puck and has nothing to do with the dish.

Khayes2350, thanks for posting your results. I was wondering if it was a few random pucks, but it seems not if you got the same bad results from two differently-sourced pucks in a row.

I have the dish, soaked the puck, it fits the dish, and that seems to make no difference at all. I'm certain it is a bad puck and has nothing to do with the dish.

Khayes2350, thanks for posting your results. I was wondering if it was a few random pucks, but it seems not if you got the same bad results from two differently-sourced pucks in a row.

How long did it take to swell to the dish, As I was talking to them on Friday and they have had no reports of a bad batch? As I get mine from the shop where it is made.

The reason I asked if you had the MWF dish is important because the puck has to swell twice its size and when it fits the dish it's ready.

Top Bottom