What's new

First shave with Mitchell’s Wool Fat

It’s been a while since I checked in on this thread, so for an update.

While I’m not going to say that I’ve mastered the Fat, I will say that I shave five out of six times with The Fat and for the past several months, all has gone well. I get good lathers and slick protection. As one other shaver put it, “Slickness isn’t the main thing, it’s the only thing!”

This morning, I had an hour to kill, so I decided to load up The Fat with as much water as it would take. Well, I never got there. After loading water way past what I thought it would take, the lather exploded and I had to stop loading water for fear the lather would take over the bathroom. This was The Fat I had heard about. My shave scuttle wouldn’t hold anymore lather without overflowing. This lather was creamy, yougurt texture with that wet sheen on it. It completely covered my Razorock 400 Plissoft knot

But here is the thing. While the lather was Awesome, the slickness was not what I’ve been used to. I still had a good shave, and the Feather blade (19 uses) did glide over my face, but it wasn’t as slick as my previous lathers.

Now I’m bewildered. My previous shaves have been with fairly thin lather, but the film on my face was slicker than snot! But, apparently, that’s not the way The Fat was intended to be used.

I’m thinking at this point I will continue to create thinner lathers and have that luxurious slickness that only The Fat can provide.

I’ve posted my lathers before, but this one is from last week, so it’s the latest version of what I’m shaving with.

8F58B64A-0CF6-4E22-9548-A828CE4C71E3.jpeg

Comments are welcome, just don’t try to talk me into that Yogurty lather I made this morning. It’s okay, but it’s not the best, in my opinion.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It’s been a while since I checked in on this thread, so for an update.

While I’m not going to say that I’ve mastered the Fat, I will say that I shave five out of six times with The Fat and for the past several months, all has gone well. I get good lathers and slick protection. As one other shaver put it, “Slickness isn’t the main thing, it’s the only thing!”

This morning, I had an hour to kill, so I decided to load up The Fat with as much water as it would take. Well, I never got there. After loading water way past what I thought it would take, the lather exploded and I had to stop loading water for fear the lather would take over the bathroom. This was The Fat I had heard about. My shave scuttle wouldn’t hold anymore lather without overflowing. This lather was creamy, yougurt texture with that wet sheen on it. It completely covered my Razorock 400 Plissoft knot

But here is the thing. While the lather was Awesome, the slickness was not what I’ve been used to. I still had a good shave, and the Feather blade (19 uses) did glide over my face, but it wasn’t as slick as my previous lathers.

Now I’m bewildered. My previous shaves have been with fairly thin lather, but the film on my face was slicker than snot! But, apparently, that’s not the way The Fat was intended to be used.

I’m thinking at this point I will continue to create thinner lathers and have that luxurious slickness that only The Fat can provide.

I’ve posted my lathers before, but this one is from last week, so it’s the latest version of what I’m shaving with.

View attachment 1191997

Comments are welcome, just don’t try to talk me into that Yogurty lather I made this morning. It’s okay, but it’s not the best, in my opinion.
That is a perfect old time tallow lather- that's what I get from MWF, Williams, etc. I've learned to thin down Arko till it looks like that. Good lather. Even the model looks good.

Top Bottom