What's new

First Shave with Mitchelle's Wool Fat Soap!

I'm pretty new to wet shaving, about 2 weeks in and I am already hooked. I ordered a puck of MWF about 2 days ago and received it today. Been using Proraso since I've started and liked it but wanted to try something new. I couldn't wait to try the MWF, so soon as I got home I got to it. Must say it was one of the best shaves ever. The smell is very mild but an amazingly fresh scent that lingers on your face and on your hands well beyond your shave. Most posts I've read about MWF talk about how it is hard to lather but I didn't seem to have any problems with that. The lather was thick and slick which made the the blade glide nicely and allow for a really close shave. This was my third shave with an Astra SP and it still cuts well. The astra is my favorite blade so far but haven't tried to many. Tossed it after this shave because I am still working on my sample pack and want to narrow down to just a few blades.

I currently have the following blades left to try:

Shark
Gillette 7 O'Clock
Blue Bird
Derby
Feather

Think I will try the 7'Oclock next but what do you think?

Happy Shaving! :001_cool:

I think at the end of the sample pack you will want to use the Feathers, this is, without any question, a blade you want to try once or twice at least.
Once if you do like them, then you don't "try" anymore, you simply know.
Twice if you don't like them at first: one time at the end of the sample pack and again after a few months, after your technique has greatly improved.
IMO you need to have tried 3 soaps as well that are good and not to expensive, you have just tried 1 of them:

1. MWF
2. Tabac
3. Cella

El-a-Menthol ,

Thanks for the reply! I've heard great things about the Feather blade that is why I am saving it for the last to try. Don't want to try them first and never try any of the other blades. I live in the New York and work in the city so I'll be taking a trip to Pasteur Pharmacy which from what I've read on B&B has a great selection of wet shaving products. I'll add Tabac and Cella on the list of soaps to pick up and let post about my shaves. Any suggestions on aftershaves ? I am currently using Nivea Double Action Q10 Balm which is great but would like to try a splash. Thinking about picking up D.R. Harris Sandalwood Aftershave.

:001_cool:

Hello Nando, welcome! Glad to hear the MWF was no trouble for you and worked well. I had a similar experience. I think it depends a lot on the type of water you have. I ended up settling on the Feathers after going through my sample pack. I use them in an Edwin Jaeger DE89 and Gillette 1962 Slim. Enjoy the shaves! I know I do.

I haven't yet taken the leap into the DE world but I'm pretty certain I will soon. Where can I get my hands on a razor sample pack like the one you described?

Thanks!

I like your blade testing strategy. I done it DE way roughly as long as you. Got sample blade pack for sure. It got a feather. Tried two before the feather, the feather was so much better than the first for me I now feel less about trying anything else... save the sharpest as last seems like a logical strategy to find one's bracket.

Welcome by the way :)

I haven't yet taken the leap into the DE world but I'm pretty certain I will soon. Where can I get my hands on a razor sample pack like the one you described?

Thanks!

Do It!!

Depending on where live,
for Europe:
shaving.ie
connaughtshaving.com
CONUS:
westcoastshaving.com
razorbladesandmore.com
pretty much any reputable seller will have a blade sampler

Beat me to it by five minutes.

Your head will asplode when you go in there.

From all the posts I've read on B&B it sounds like a shaving heaven. Can't wait to go but I'm a bit worried that I will want to buy everything and end up leaving there broke. :thumbup:

Any suggestions on aftershaves ? I am currently using Nivea Double Action Q10 Balm which is great but would like to try a splash. Thinking about picking up D.R. Harris Sandalwood Aftershave.
I suggest Speick. But DR Harris get's a lot of respect here, with reason, however I don't know how good their aftershaves are.
On the top right of the B&B you find a reviews section, you can always browse there or enter a few names.
Good luck, and set a budget before going there, unless you're rich lol.
You're going to a better place now...

El-a-Menthol ,

Thanks for the reply! I've heard great things about the Feather blade that is why I am saving it for the last to try. Don't want to try them first and never try any of the other blades. I live in the New York and work in the city so I'll be taking a trip to Pasteur Pharmacy which from what I've read on B&B has a great selection of wet shaving products. I'll add Tabac and Cella on the list of soaps to pick up and let post about my shaves. Any suggestions on aftershaves ? I am currently using Nivea Double Action Q10 Balm which is great but would like to try a splash. Thinking about picking up D.R. Harris Sandalwood Aftershave.

:001_cool:

I didn't know about Pastuer. I will have to look them up and pay them a visit!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I prefer the 34th St location. There are two potentials for disaster at that store-

Falling to your death when they open the trap door to the basement.
Death by wife.

+1 on the trapdoor. I was in there about a month ago and wasn't really focusing on the floor due to the cornucopia of goodies on the shelves. A worker opened that door to store his bike in the basement. I swear to God I could have stepped into that open space and hung there like Wile E. Coyote (Super Genius) before falling to my doom had I not heard the door hit the floor.

Top Bottom