What's new

First shave with LeSupreme

Just in this week and put on duty this morning. Loaded up with Gillette Yellow and used Mitchell’s Wool Fat.

My first impressions are very positive. She’s heavy with good balance. The blade gap can be opened up quite wide. I opened up to 4... looks like it can go beyond that, but I didn’t want to push my luck with the first shave. My only complaint is the adjusting knob is not all that tight and I had to “readjust” more than once. Annoying, but not terrible considering this is probably a 70+ year old piece and who knows how it was when it left the factory. The blade is clamped tight near the edge... no blade flex or chatter.

The shave was quite smooth considering the wide gap and exposure. I tend to prefer aggressive over comfortable and this was surprisingly comfortable for the level of aggression at this setting. For some reason my lather was a bit thin and lacking, I bet with a better lather this would get even better.

BBS three pass shave with one weeper that didn’t even require styptic. Some neck irritation, but the ATG pass is difficult for me with any razor.

Cool factor: 10
Adjustment: 8
Overall shave experience: 9
Value: who cares sometimes

I’m an engineer who’s a sucker for beautiful, well made things. It was only a matter of time before I acquired one of these.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Never seen one of those before. Geez, it looks like a medical instrument of some sort. All steel? What does it weigh, about 2 lbs? It's different, but I like the look of it. Congrats!

Never seen one of those before. Geez, it looks like a medical instrument of some sort. All steel? What does it weigh, about 2 lbs? It's different, but I like the look of it. Congrats!

All brass with what appears to be nickel plate... might be chrome, I cant say for sure. It is very "complicated" looking, that's part of the appeal. Weighs in at 89 g.

The French sure knew how to make a good looking razor.

All brass with what appears to be nickel plate... might be chrome, I cant say for sure. It is very "complicated" looking, that's part of the appeal. Weighs in at 89 g.

The French sure knew how to make a good looking razor.

Yeah, I wasn't saying any of that in a negative sense. It's got a tool-like quality, and I like that because I think of razors as tools.

If you are able, could you please post a few more photos from various angles when you get a chance? I'd love to see more of it.

One of my favorites,also,along with the kirby-beard and latest 77s. The old french ones were/are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I wasn't saying any of that in a negative sense. It's got a tool-like quality, and I like that because I think of razors as tools.

If you are able, could you please post a few more photos from various angles when you get a chance? I'd love to see more of it.

What an amazing razor. Please do post some more picss!

I made a video of mine over a year ago showing functionality. These shave great, but if you try it wide open be very careful of the blade ends.

Although a bit more mechanical looking which btw is cool looking it has a similar profile to a Gibbs # 17 adjustable which is my personal favorite adjustable razor as far as shaves goes. So I wonder how they'd compare.
I saw that online when it was for sale.

Congrat!

Although a bit more mechanical looking which btw is cool looking it has a similar profile to a Gibbs # 17 adjustable which is my personal favorite adjustable razor as far as shaves goes. So I wonder how they'd compare.
I saw that online when it was for sale.

Congrat!

How similar are the Gibbs #15 and #17 ? I have a 15 that I haven’t cleaned up to use yet.

A gibbs doesn't kind of leave the blade just hanging out there to peg you on the ends like this does. Kinda reminds me of a wide open futur in that regard These are great razors though, I love the stability it gives the blade but it isn't overkill like you get with something like a darwin so the feedback is there

How similar are the Gibbs #15 and #17 ? I have a 15 that I haven’t cleaned up to use yet.

The # 17 has more weight to it than the #15. They share the same settings 1-6 and are close in efficiency but I prefer the heavier #17 as I personally feel it’s a little more efficient and has smoother face feel or glide. In fact today I shaved with my #15 in a shave off comparing it to my Apollo Mikron Adjustable. So I’d clean that #15 up and take it for a spin! I was BBS in 2 passes and slight touch up on setting 5.
Sorry to go off topic.

I just cleaned up the 15 and bought a small hole punch to modify the blades. I think next week I’ll have to give it a spin. Thanks for the info.

Seriously cool razor. Makes RAD flare up, especially now that I have experienced the whole adjustable thing and I am looking at them as a serious option.

I just cleaned up the 15 and bought a small hole punch to modify the blades. I think next week I’ll have to give it a spin. Thanks for the info.

It's easy to modify the blades with that hole punch. Some blades are easier than others. Astras are hard as they have small side pieces and if you go in a little to deep they break. I like the Polsilver best so far to modify. let me know how the shave went.

Top Bottom